XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Opinions on goodies and aftermarket stuff

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 09:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on goodies and aftermarket stuff

I am sure this information may be buried here on the site but Ihave a few questions:
1. The claims of 12 HP gains using the intake kit on the Mina site, how true is that? Other than engine roar, does it actually work?
2. Same question for the exhaust system; is there a marked difference in the acceleration and exhasut note?
3. What are some of the other modifications that are popular with the 2003 XK8 that are easy and require no painting?
4. My driver's door is lacking the rubber insert that goes in the arm rest (Where you put your hand to close the door)...anyone know where I can get one?
5. Is t here a service chart for when what service is due and where con one find this?
6. It seems my car is somewhat set up for the phone overide; Imean there are the buttons onthe steering wheel, however it is missing a cradle for the phone to sit in in the center console. Also with the new modern phones, how can one "Marry" say a Blackberry to the system if it is possible?

Ithank you all for helping out a newbie who is just getting his feet wet whit a car is somewhat intimidating when you have not owned one before.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,261 Likes on 565 Posts

Some people remove the moldings along the door that are supposed to prevent door dings. Starting in 2005 they were no longer on the doors, so by removing them you can make the car resemble a 2005-2006 XK8. I removed mine only to discover that one door had been repainted and the paint shop didn't remove the molding. The new color was a tiny bit different, and it was noticeable, so I reinstalled them. After looking at pictures of the "good" side without the molding I finally decided that I like it better with the molding anyway. In my opinion the coupes look better without the molding, but the convertibles look better with it.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:56 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I came to the same conclusion. My initial preference was for the 2004 without the side molding; it's more photogenic somehow. Looking at the car in person though, I much prefer it with the side molding.

Old 04-17-2011, 03:18 AM
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

The part # for the rubber insert in your door is GJA1359AB. Google that part # and you'll find a few sellers. Around $55 used and $80 new.

The following users liked this post:
emgun (04-18-2011)
Old 04-17-2011, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

1. The claims of 12 HP gains using the intake kit on the Mina site, how true is that? Other than engine roar, does it actually work?

It is a 'hot air' intake...you might actually lose power relative to the stock cold air intake.

2. Same question for the exhaust system; is there a marked difference in the acceleration and exhaust note?

There will be a little more sound (nothing offensive) and perhaps a small power increase, and it is prettier. Even if it is 10HP or so, it may be too small to really be felt.

3. What are some of the other modifications that are popular with the 2003 XK8 that are easy and require no painting?

Clear side blinkers are a nice upgrade, as are interior chrome rings and shifter bezel (if your car does not have them already). If you have a convertible, a windscreen is a worthwile upgrade, IMHO.

5. Is there a service chart for when what service is due and where con one find this?

Download JTIS (see the FAQ sticky in the XK8/XKR forum). The service charts are included...plus a wealth of service information.

6. It seems my car is somewhat set up for the phone overide; Imean there are the buttons onthe steering wheel, however it is missing a cradle for the phone to sit in in the center console. Also with the new modern phones, how can one "Marry" say a Blackberry to the system if it is possible?

You should research Bluetooth kits by Motorola and Parrot, and search for discussion regarding them on the forum. Bluetooth is the way to go for today's smartphones. They can be installed, but installation is more complex than plug and play on our cars.

Old 04-17-2011, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member

Oh yeah... I forgot about the clear side blinkers that WhiteXKR mentioned. I installed them on my car and I love the look. The orange lights directly behind the front wheel wells really detract from the car in my opinion. My car is silver, and the clear lenses look much better.

Here are two pics for comparison. The first one shows the orange light with the molding removed. The second shows the clear light with the molding installed. I like the second look better.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 257 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by itspec60
The part # for the rubber insert in your door is GJA1359AB. Google that part # and you'll find a few sellers. Around $55 used and $80 new.
Check Coventry West. Probably a better deal.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
Oh yeah... I forgot about the clear side blinkers that WhiteXKR mentioned. I installed them on my car and I love the look. The orange lights directly behind the front wheel wells really detract from the car in my opinion. My car is silver, and the clear lenses look much better.
Agree here, much better looking!

Attached Thumbnails Opinions on goodies and aftermarket stuff-xkr07s.jpg  
Old 04-17-2011, 09:55 PM
Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Side marker

SAM, a curious thing..my 00R has red side markers with a leaper on them. When I removed my inner liners for a repair I noticed the left side has a pigtail for a light; but not the right side. The actual red emblem/marker does not have a light fixture in it, or receptacle for the pigtail harness...so it doesn't actually light up! Do yours? Seems redundant since there are amber markers up front and red ones at the rear.

Attached Thumbnails Opinions on goodies and aftermarket stuff-dsc00809.jpg  
Old 04-17-2011, 10:04 PM
Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Saw a Special XKR

I went to a JCNA meet in Orlando area Saturday...yah hate to admit it but had my car judged (post a thread about that later). Anyway there was a Special Edition R Package MY06 there. The guy said it was all factory original but...did the factory paint this leaper on the side and the dash panel fascia where the passenger air bag is (no pic of that sorry). The owner also said it was 460HP from the FACTORY!! It had the black leather with cranberry stiching too. Man it was an awesome looking JAG.

Attached Thumbnails Opinions on goodies and aftermarket stuff-dsc00786.jpg  
Old 04-17-2011, 10:19 PM
Veteran Member

I think Jaguar Cars changed the emblem to an orange light in 2002 or 2003. Someone started another thread on here about the wires. Apparently his wires actually had voltage on them, but when he tried plugging a light in to them there just wasn't enough current to light up the bulb.

Personally I'd just like to fill the hole and paint it to look like the rest of the car. I don't like the emblems, orange lights, or clear lights. The clear ones are the least noticeable, though, so that's what I chose.

Old 04-17-2011, 11:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Fla Steve
There was thread on this car a year or two ago and it was determined that the leaper painted on the side was not a factory job. I don't think anybody could verify that this was a factory produced automobile with these options. At the time the car was listed on E-Bay.
Doug
2001 XKR Silverstone

Old 04-18-2011, 12:31 AM
Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

My 97 has the leaper on the side behind the front wheel wells and when one fell off a few weeks ago it was held by two wires. I assumed it was for the turn signals. Have not yet had time to see if I can get them working.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 539 Likes on 402 Posts

You will notice a definite slight improvement with most of the simple bolt-on performance items since your wallet will now be a bit lighter

Doug

Old 04-18-2011, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OregonJag
My 97 has the leaper on the side behind the front wheel wells and when one fell off a few weeks ago it was held by two wires. I assumed it was for the turn signals. Have not yet had time to see if I can get them working.
That's the wiring for the side repeaters not used on XK's in the US until the 03 model year. You can add them.

Last edited by hlgeorge; 04-18-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RCSign
Fla Steve
There was thread on this car a year or two ago and it was determined that the leaper painted on the side was not a factory job. I don't think anybody could verify that this was a factory produced automobile with these options. At the time the car was listed on E-Bay.
Doug
2001 XKR Silverstone
You can have one for yourself too!
Jaguar Leaping Cat full side body kit x 2 Decal Sticker | eBay UK

Old 04-18-2011, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member
Old 04-18-2011, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Fla Steve
SAM, a curious thing..my 00R has red side markers with a leaper on them. When I removed my inner liners for a repair I noticed the left side has a pigtail for a light; but not the right side. The actual red emblem/marker does not have a light fixture in it, or receptacle for the pigtail harness...so it doesn't actually light up! Do yours? Seems redundant since there are amber markers up front and red ones at the rear.
The ones just in front of the door are called side repeaters and flash with the turn signals for lane changes. I added them to my car mainly as a safety measure. The wiring harness is on the driver side, but only comes to the chamber under the cover for the electronics on the right side. I ordered the wiring harness extension to complete the installation.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by hlgeorge
THAT'S THE PICTURE!

I saw that pic minus the sticker about a year ago. Apparently the owner was selling the car and he took some pics to advertise it. I remember it clearly because I absolutely fell in love with the car. It had been "tastefully" lowered, and it made me want to lower my car. I saved the pictures, but then I apparently deleted them at some point and I've been looking for them ever since. I've actually seen other photoshops of that exact same pic.

The seller on eBay must have thought it was a nice looking pic, too, because he chose to use it to illustrate his leaper stickers.

If anyone knows where the original pics in that set can be found, please let me know.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

The clear lenses for the repeaters are on order. To be honest, they should come in Green and Red; Pass Starboard is Green, pass to Port is red.

No to look for an exhaust system to give me some note and lessen the engines back pressure.

Quick Reply: Opinions on goodies and aftermarket stuff