XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Opinions wanted on 2000-2005 XK8/XKR

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by mjlaris
Actually, this is not true. The 3rd generation tensioners were introduced in August of 2001. Therefore any engine manufactured after this date had the 3rd generation tensioners. This includes 2002 models manufactured after this date. However, you need to verify the date the engine was manufactured.

Mark
My rule of thumb because of engine production dates is a safe one. If it's a 4.0 and you don't have receipts, and you aren't sure the production date of the engine concretely, just pull the cover and check. It's quick to do. Plus you can do new valve cover gaskets and change your spark plugs while you're there. Mine at 68k already seeped a little bit when I change the tensioners.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 243 Likes on 169 Posts

Actually, this is not true. The 3rd generation tensioners were introduced in August of 2001. Therefore any engine manufactured after this date had the 3rd generation tensioners. This includes 2002 models manufactured after this date. However, you need to verify the date the engine was manufactured.

Mark
Actually, I'm not sure that's quite right

See: http://www.jagservice.net/jaguar_v8_...tensioners.htm

It's my understanding that the third generation metal based tensioners were not made available until the 4.2L, and on some very late production 4.0L cars. As of 2001, since those are still 4.0L cars, the second-generation tensioners were being used. While an upgrade from the first generation, they're still plastic and prone to failure.

So I would be inclined to agree with 80sRule in that, if you have a 4.0L car and no proof that the tensioners have been upgraded, you should take a look and verify.

Last edited by 01Silverstone; 10-24-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 01Silverstone
Actually, I'm not sure that's quite right

See: Jaguar V8 Secondary Tensioners - Preventive Replacement

It's my understanding that the third generation metal based tensioners were not made available until the 4.2L, and on some very late production 4.0L cars. As of 2001, since those are still 4.0L cars, the second-generation tensioners were being used. While an upgrade from the first generation, they're still plastic and prone to failure.

So I would be inclined to agree with 80sRule in that, if you have a 4.0L car and no proof that the tensioners have been upgraded, you should take a look and verify.

I'm certain that I read on this forum (although I can't find the post just now) that 3rd generation tensioners were introduced in August of 2001. Searching the web, I did find the following:

AustralianCar.Reviews: #1 for Reviews and Used Car Valuations

However, this is not as definitive as the earlier post I recall. This web page says "from August 2001, all-metal third generation tensioners were available". That said, I took my 2002 XKR (engine manufactured in February of 2002) to a Jag dealer about a month after I bought it to have the tensioners upgraded (at the time my XKR had about 34k miles on it). However, after they got into the job they called me and told me I already had the 3rd generation tensioners. It is possible that this work was performed by a previous owner, there were several, but from what I know of the previous owners, I doubt that they ever knew of this issue.

All that said, these discussions here have caused me to do some more research on this topic and I'm not as confident as I used to be regarding this matter. There are some web sites, like the one I reference above, that imply 3rd generation tensioners were used after August of 2001 and there are other sites, like the one you referenced above, that state that the 3rd generation tensioners were not introduced until MY 2005/6. So, I'll put it to the forum Gurus: Does anyone have a definitive reference stating exactly when Jaguar started using the 3rd generation metal tensioners?

Mark

Last edited by mjlaris; 10-24-2014 at 06:37 PM. Reason: corrected typos
The following users liked this post:
01Silverstone (10-24-2014)
Old 10-24-2014, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 243 Likes on 169 Posts

I'm certain that I read on this forum (although I can't find the post just now) that 3rd generation tensioners were introduced in August of 2001. Searching the web, I did find the following:

AustralianCar.Reviews: #1 for Reviews and Used Car Valuations

However, this is not as definitive as the earlier post I recall. This web page says "from August 2001, all-metal third generation tensioners were available". That said, I took my 2002 XKR (engine manufactured in February of 2002) to a Jag dealer about a month after I bought it to have the tensioners upgraded (at the time my XKR had about 34k miles on it). However, after they got into the job they called me and told me I already had the 3rd generation tensioners. It is possible that this work was performed by a previous owner, there were several, but from what I know of the previous owners, I doubt that they ever knew of this issue.

All that said, these discussions here have caused me to do some more research on this topic and I'm not as confident and I used to be regarding this matter. There are some web sites, like the one I reference above, that imply 3rd generation tensioners were used after August of 2001 and there are other sides, like the one you referenced above, that state that the 3rd generation tensioners were not introduced until MY 2005/6. So, I'll put it to the forum Gurus: Does anyone have a definitive reference stating exactly when Jaguar started using the 3rd generation metal tensioners?

Mark
This is only a guess, but perhaps the confusion lies in when they were installed on new builds vs. when they were made available as a kit from Jaguar?

Perhaps you are correct in that, starting with engine build dates after August 2001, the third generation tensioners were used from the factory.

Maybe it wasn't until the 4.2 arrived (with the double chain set-up as opposed to the single chain on the 4.0) the a "kit" to convert 4.0s was made available in 2005.

Yet, I'm also perplexed by this possibility, as the 4.2 was available earlier than 2005.

So yes, perhaps an expert can chime in to clear this up!

Last edited by 01Silverstone; 10-24-2014 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:12 PM
Received 6,332 Likes on 5,517 Posts

Originally Posted by 80sRule
My rule of thumb because of engine production dates is a safe one. If it's a 4.0 and you don't have receipts, and you aren't sure the production date of the engine concretely, just pull the cover and check. It's quick to do. Plus you can do new valve cover gaskets and change your spark plugs while you're there. Mine at 68k already seeped a little bit when I change the tensioners.
Well I'm no expert but what I have read over the years would lead me to agree with 80sRule, we have had several members whose cars fell into the supposedly safe range find out that they had plastic tensioners fitted.
So if you don't know -check!

Old 10-24-2014, 10:41 PM
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

When your looking for a Jag like anything else bear in mind potentional mantainance that's going to be needed.You didn't state what your budget was. It's either Pay Me Now or Pay Me Later in maintainance. The Dealer will eat you alive!

Don't get discouraged with your hunt. I spent 8 months hunting for the right car. After looking at a lot of Jags in the 90's that all needed either suspention Work, Tensioners, Water Pump, Hoses, Etc. I did find one here in the North East that was brought up from Arizona. The entire car was cosmetically cooked. faded paint, faded top, baked rubber everywhere, bleached out dash finish. The $10-$15K cars with 80,000 plus miles can easily turn into $25k cars if your not mechanically inclined and equiped. I finally ponied up and bought a northern 04 XKR (never wet) with 14k Miles that has Recaro's, 20" BBS Detroit Wheels, the Red Brembo option etc. The car needed NOTHING when I got it. My maintenance cost for this entire year was 8 Quarts of Oil and a Filter (I did that myself, The Jag Dealer wand $265 for an oil change !)

Good luck in your hunt, there should be some mid winter bargains around.

aafattore (10-24-2014)
Old 10-24-2014, 11:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by performance
When your looking for a Jag like anything else bear in mind potential maintenance that's going to be needed.You didn't state what your budget was. It's either Pay Me Now or Pay Me Later in maintenance. The Dealer will eat you alive!

Don't get discouraged with your hunt. I spent 8 months hunting for the right car. After looking at a lot of Jags in the 90's that all needed either suspention Work, Tensioners, Water Pump, Hoses, Etc. I did find one here in the North East that was brought up from Arizona. The entire car was cosmetically cooked. faded paint, faded top, baked rubber everywhere, bleached out dash finish. The $10-$15K cars with 80,000 plus miles can easily turn into $25k cars if your not mechanically inclined and equiped. I finally ponied up and bought a northern 04 XKR (never wet) with 14k Miles that has Recaro's, 20" BBS Detroit Wheels, the Red Brembo option etc. The car needed NOTHING when I got it. My maintenance cost for this entire year was 8 Quarts of Oil and a Filter (I did that myself, The Jag Dealer wand $265 for an oil change !)

Good luck in your hunt, there should be some mid winter bargains around.
You are so right about the Arizona sun. Maybe that's why I can't find one out here (within my price range anyway). My cars are always garage kept and under covered parking when I'm at work but the drive to and from work will get sun. Unfortunately I don't have a huge budget for my new kitty. I need to stay around $20K so anything within my range is going to be older with some miles.I will be sure to find a clean well maintained Jag. I currently drive a 2006 Mercedes S500 that is extremely well cared for. It wouldn't be worth it to sell the Benz for a worn out car that needs a ton of work. Having said that, it's going to take some time and I tend to be impatient! Thank you for the info.

Old 10-25-2014, 09:44 PM
Received 124 Likes on 79 Posts

Hello, "aa"! I, too, live in the Phx area. Went through the same things you are going through to find the right car. Fortunately, I happen to be a Jag service tech. That helps! I had about $15k to spend. Wanted an XKR. No real problem if you stay in the 2000 model range, or earlier. One thing I had trouble finding here in AZ was a car that had good upholstery. Apparently, the AZ sun is not very good for the fragile leather. I found some nice cars, but the seat side bolsters and armrests were always beat. In one case, the entire interior would have required replacement. I ended up doing the Craigslist thing, but extended my search to SoCal, Vegas and Palm Springs. We buy a lot of fine cars through our shop for customers, and California has been a good hunting ground for us! I finally found my car in Carlsbad... 96k miles on a 2004. Interior very near perfect. Exterior exceptional, and had the XKR grille that I liked. Also, it was in the exact interior and exterior colors, and with the exact options (like the premium sound system and chrome wheels) I wanted. Decided to trade miles for a better machine. So, I went with a high mile newer car. Glad I did. It has been a joy, and I love the car! Took me about 4 months to find it. Couldn't pass it up at $15,000.

Last edited by chopr; 10-25-2014 at 09:48 PM. Reason: I should have noted that I went with a newer model XK8, rather than the XKR. Still happy with my choice!
aafattore (10-26-2014)
Old 10-26-2014, 12:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chopr
Hello, "aa"! I, too, live in the Phx area. Went through the same things you are going through to find the right car. Fortunately, I happen to be a Jag service tech. That helps! I had about $15k to spend. Wanted an XKR. No real problem if you stay in the 2000 model range, or earlier. One thing I had trouble finding here in AZ was a car that had good upholstery. Apparently, the AZ sun is not very good for the fragile leather. I found some nice cars, but the seat side bolsters and armrests were always beat. In one case, the entire interior would have required replacement. I ended up doing the Craigslist thing, but extended my search to SoCal, Vegas and Palm Springs. We buy a lot of fine cars through our shop for customers, and California has been a good hunting ground for us! I finally found my car in Carlsbad... 96k miles on a 2004. Interior very near perfect. Exterior exceptional, and had the XKR grille that I liked. Also, it was in the exact interior and exterior colors, and with the exact options (like the premium sound system and chrome wheels) I wanted. Decided to trade miles for a better machine. So, I went with a high mile newer car. Glad I did. It has been a joy, and I love the car! Took me about 4 months to find it. Couldn't pass it up at $15,000.
That is a common discussion in my household. Is it better to purchase a newer car with more miles vs an older car with low miles..... Not sure whats the lesser of two evils...