XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Orange Reflectors/Lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 08:31 PM
Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

I did try the turn signals when I was testing and it made no difference. I can relocate the wiring to the turn signals though - should be pretty easy. Makes more sense that way. Thanks for pointing that out.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:51 PM

Rerouted the wiring to the turn signals and now I have true repeaters on the sides. I like the look and the function.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 257 Likes on 200 Posts

A great safety feature, especially on the freeway.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:25 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I ordered all 6 of them smoked to match my front and rear lights. I will post pics when they come in.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,261 Likes on 565 Posts

Where did you find all six? I found the side markers and the front ones, but I didn't see the rears anywhere. and the place that was selling the front ones was asking something like $100, and I didn't want to spend that much. I ordered a pair of the clear side markers from the place brobin recommended and I'm anxiously awaiting their arrival. I'd like to replace the others, too.

Old 06-25-2010, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member

If I am not mistaken the front and rear marker lights are interchangeable.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:10 AM
Location: Marin County, CA, USA - Just north of San Francisco
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been reading this thread for 5 pages and lots of days/nights, so I finally got curious enough to go out and look at the "repeaters" on my '02R. They are red leapers, and do NOT light up with either the turn signals or the parking/head lights. Should they? If so, how do I access them to see if bulbs are burned out? How do I get into them? Thanks all, DaleD

Old 06-26-2010, 02:55 AM

The leapers do not light up, they are just fillers - at least that's the case on my '98. The ones that light up are amber lenses (if OEM) and are available in clear or smoked aftermarket. The leaper fillers are attached to the body with double faced tape and can be removed with a plastic putty knife or old credit card. The socket is attached to the leaper filler with a wire clip just as the lens would be. If yours is like mine, the voltage present will not light the bulb and you'll have to run wires to the front turn signals to make them work. That's not a big job - just run a pair of wires over the wheel well by loosening the fasteners on the plastic wheel well shield and route the wire to the turn signal socket on each side. I drilled a small hole in the cluster housing for the wire and used a dab of silicone sealant to seal it. You can use wire taps on the turn signal bulb socket leads and then connect the other end to the repeater socket after cutting it off with a few inches of wire attached. Don't forget to insulate the ends of the wires from the harness.

Old 06-26-2010, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member

XK's shipped to the USA did not have the repeaters until M/Y 2003, but were pre-wired on the left side for the lights. I understand that some were pre-wired to the badge on the right side, but mine was not. I ordered the wire harness that connects the light at a junction to the left of the shock tower. All of my wiring had proper voltage and connection. The connection to the turn signals come from the BPM, so if there was a voltage issue, it was probably an issue in the BPM. Brobin, yours is the first time I have heard of any voltage problems in the repeater circuit. The wiring harness is connected to the non-lighted badges so it doesn't flop around behind the wheel well and cause noise or other problems.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:47 PM

Right, mine were connected on both sides but the voltage was a constant 10.27 volts but without enough amperage to even light an LED and turn signal operation made no difference. FWIW, mine is an early '98 that I bought new in late '97. I'm thinking that there is probably a programming option to activate them but running new wires to the sockets only took about 15 minutes per side.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member

No programming needed. You just have an issue with the OEM wiring. Your fix is an acceptable one for sure!

Old 06-26-2010, 11:07 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I purchased all 6 smoked from ademesh. They have come but no one was home to recieve shipment. I am hoping monday I will have them in my hands at last.

The following users liked this post:
xenophobe (10-05-2011)
Old 06-27-2010, 01:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default side marker lenses

try www.adamesh.co.uk the do led ones as well

Old 06-27-2010, 02:33 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

To Brian: I hate it when that happens! You wait forever for a package (many times from the UK) and the delivery guy stops by at the ONLY time that no one was available to sign the mandatory receipt...........and then you have to wait over the weekend!

To Nick: Yep, that's where I got mine, and they were nice enough to custom darken them for me. I'm very happy with them.
Brian

Old 06-27-2010, 03:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hlgeorge
Sorry Rev, it looks like a Miata now. I really like the side molding and it has saved me door dings for sure. I didn't have the repeaters, but I think they are a great safety feature, especially in the traffic I drive in, so I added them.
I guess that's why they make chocolate and vanilla.

I really like the look without the trim strips. And, I too think the orange repeaters are unattractive and even more conspicuous with the trim removed.

However, you can have your cake and eat it too. Just swap the ugly orange ones out for a pair of clear ones from a 2006 or newer model year.

I just happen to have a set of NIB clear front repeater lamp assemblies (including bulbs) for sale in the Classified section. I don't know about the fit into your current "hole" but if your having a body shop do the work during your repaint you would certainly be good to go.

Last edited by Quiet1; 06-27-2010 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:53 AM
Location: Marin County, CA, USA - Just north of San Francisco
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for all the info RE: MYs and which had what when. I've looked critically at my '02R in the light of all this, and I like what Coventry did originally. I have red badges on the front, the wheels, the side "repeaters", and the rear trim - all coordinated. I think the red on my black (anthracite) paint finish shows nicely (with or without the lights), and if I were to make any change, it would be to replace the front orange marker lights with red to match the rears - but that is probably against the law here... Yes, that is why there is vanilla and strawberry! Best, all, DaleD

Old 10-05-2011, 03:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was it easy to change the repeaters? Amazon have just emailed saying mine are on their way. I have a 09 X type. Many thanks, Robert

Old 10-05-2011, 03:47 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Mccairley
Was it easy to change the repeaters? Amazon have just emailed saying mine are on their way. I have a 09 X type. Many thanks, Robert
You just basically pull and jiggle the repeaters and they come out. Very easy.

Robert Mccairley (10-06-2011)
Old 10-05-2011, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by XKR Brian
I purchased all 6 smoked from ademesh. They have come but no one was home to recieve shipment. I am hoping monday I will have them in my hands at last.
Thanks! I was looking into these but the Mina ones aren't cheap and alternatives were more expensive than this full set.

I'll even have two extra reflectors to try tinting to see if I want them clear or black too. I don't mind the red ones in the back, but if the two I test with tint paint work out well, I might just do the whole set.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:16 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Swapping the bumper reflectors and wing repeaters was one of the first mods I did when I got my car. I actually did it twice, because the 4 white reflectors I bought from Adamesh didn't look right at all. They are reflectors like you get on a bike, rather than bulb holders that originally came with the car.

Also, I felt white (clear) just didn't look right on the rear bumper, so I ended up with a second set of clear 'bulb-holder' reflectors at the front and red reflectors at the back.

Robert Mccairley (10-06-2011)

Quick Reply: Orange Reflectors/Lights