XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

P1637

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 12:13 PM
Received 176 Likes on 114 Posts

Would you be able to go back and take a look at one of your dumps and see what yours reports?

I wonder if the repair shop that I got these test modules from flashed the same firmware on all of the modules that they have. The owner of the repair shop said that he tests all of the modules in his car and in his specialized test station that he built.

His statement that he tests all of them in his car initially struck me as odd considering i would imagine that there would be compatibility issues with the firmware.

I just called around and the next closest shop that has IDS and is willing to try to program the module for me is located in Carlsbad and is 80 miles away.
I would have to fix the transmission and timing chain stuff before i ever get back to touching the abs module again.

Just found out that I can get a connector cable and IDS software from http://britishdiagnostics.co.uk/prod...-sdd-v130-kit/ rather affordable. Just need to find a junk laptop to put it on. That might be the better option for me.

Last edited by Mad Hatter; 10-03-2019 at 01:42 PM.
Old 10-03-2019, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 925 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad Hatter
Would you be able to go back and take a look at one of your dumps and see what yours reports?

I wonder if the repair shop that I got these test modules from flashed the same firmware on all of the modules that they have. The owner of the repair shop said that he tests all of the modules in his car and in his specialized test station that he built.

His statement that he tests all of them in his car initially struck me as odd considering i would imagine that there would be compatibility issues with the firmware.

I just called around and the next closest shop that has IDS and is willing to try to program the module for me is located in Carlsbad and is 80 miles away.
I would have to fix the transmission and timing chain stuff before i ever get back to touching the abs module again.

Just found out that I can get a connector cable and IDS software from http://britishdiagnostics.co.uk/prod...-sdd-v130-kit/ rather affordable. Just need to find a junk laptop to put it on. That might be the better option for me.
Attached is a run with engine off. I filtered it to the module tokens only, but you can unfilter in excel to see everything. Most of these IDs should be the same as yours, but there were some changes between 1997 and 2001. Since I don't have a '97, I can't tell exactly what changed. However, my module tokens have never reported anything but hex 14 in many many gigs of data.

I have SDD/IDS from British Diagnostics, a tad persnickety to work with, but seems to be valuable. I have it on a windows 10 machine running his (British Diagnostics) XP virtual machine which may be the source of some of the persnickety. Cannot vouch for module programming, however, but it is in there.

Attached Files

Last edited by crbass; 10-03-2019 at 04:01 PM.
Old 10-03-2019, 04:54 PM

Your logs are so much more useable than mine hahaha.

Thanks for that.

I just contacted the module repair company I was working with and they had the revelation that some of their modules are failing in some cars and according to them "they mixed incompatible models together and have been experiencing P1637 codes in some vehicles".
I am going to go exchange the two test modules I have of his Monday for one that he thinks will work in my vehicle.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mad Hatter:
Jnelso (10-03-2019), oldjaglover (10-23-2023)
Old 10-03-2019, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,397 Likes on 1,554 Posts

Fascinating thread.
Hat off for your perseverance & hope this is the end of the hair tearing.

Curious - did the P1637 only appear after the ABS module repair or did it come with the car?

Old 10-03-2019, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by michaelh
Fascinating thread.
Hat off for your perseverance & hope this is the end of the hair tearing.

Curious - did the P1637 only appear after the ABS module repair or did it come with the car?

Hey I hope this is the end of the road too, I may just have a little less faith than you do at this point haha.

The car originally came to me with a C1137 error code and had power pins that were very poorly resoldered presumably by a previous owner. Additionally I am not certain that the abs module originated on this vehicle. It doesn't seem to be the right model number, but none of them have worked at this point.

Once the module had the power pins properly soldered, the P1637 code showed up for the first time and has persisted ever since.

Old 10-03-2019, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member

We've all been caught by replacing something and still getting the same problem therefore assuming that exonerates the replaced part and moving on. Reading through left me scratching my head too:- won't be an identical fault in both, surely

Your module repairer's admission of issues reinforces the adage "if a problem appears after some work has been done, revisit what was done", and certainly fits what you've experienced.

Fingers crossed for you.

Some great detective work between crbass & you there

Last edited by michaelh; 10-03-2019 at 08:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DavidYau (10-04-2019)
Old 10-04-2019, 03:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 510 Likes on 365 Posts

Your logs are so much more useable than mine hahaha.

Thanks for that.

I just contacted the module repair company I was working with and they had the revelation that some of their modules are failing in some cars and according to them "they mixed incompatible models together and have been experiencing P1637 codes in some vehicles".
I am going to go exchange the two test modules I have of his Monday for one that he thinks will work in my vehicle.
That would be both incredibly satisfying and incredibly frustrating in equal measure if that indeed proves to be the problem.

Old 10-07-2019, 07:56 PM

I received another LJA2210AH test module from the module repair company today.

I Installed it in the car and the check engine light and trac/abs lights on the dash all turned off simultaneously.

I also did some due diligence and hooked up the can bus analyzer to the car and checked out the logs.
The data component of the ABS heartbeat message reported 14 as we expected that it should.

I believe @crbass indicated that the data component of the message likely was the software revision. If that doesn't match what the other modules have, then the ECM will report that the module is not connected on the network. Even if other functions of the module still continue to work.

crbass: I doubt that I would have resolved this issue in a timely manner without your knowledge and advice backing up my research. I can't thank you enough for helping with this.

Dibbit, David, Michael, JagV8: Thank you all for helping me to corner this problem and giving me little, very helpful, tidbits of information along the way that all culminated in the resolution of this problem.

Thank you all guys, my knowledge about this system grew so much from the beginning to end because of you guys.

The following 5 users liked this post by Mad Hatter:
crbass (10-07-2019), DavidYau (10-07-2019), dibbit (03-10-2020), michaelh (10-08-2019), waltwagner (04-10-2023)
Old 10-07-2019, 09:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,419 Likes on 755 Posts
Default Congrats - resolved at last

Well done!

Some interesting things from your thread esp. from crbass. You probably solved a long, on-going problem that forced previous owners to sell the car.

Michaelh was right in that sometimes we replace a part, but that doesn’t solve the problem so then we make the mistake of moving elsewhere to find the cause of the problem.

In the end a correct ABS module, with right software, was your solution. Really good to see the ongoing support of the module repair company. However it was not nice to hear your experience of a garage rudely turning you away as they couldn’t be bothered with the X100’s intricacies.

Thanks for updating the thread.

Old 10-07-2019, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 925 Likes on 456 Posts

I

I also did some due diligence and hooked up the can bus analyzer to the car and checked out the logs.
The data component of the ABS heartbeat message reported 14 as we expected that it should.

I believe @crbass indicated that the data component of the message likely was the software revision. If that doesn't match what the other modules have, then the ECM will report that the module is not connected on the network. Even if other functions of the module still continue to work.

crbass: I doubt that I would have resolved this issue in a timely manner without your knowledge and advice backing up my research. I can't thank you enough for helping with this.

Dibbit, David, Michael, JagV8: Thank you all for helping me to corner this problem and giving me little, very helpful, tidbits of information along the way that all culminated in the resolution of this problem.

Thank you all guys, my knowledge about this system grew so much from the beginning to end because of you guys.
Fantastic! No worries, interesting problem.

Old 10-08-2019, 02:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 3,944 Posts

Working? Yayy!

Old 10-08-2019, 03:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 510 Likes on 365 Posts

Well done for persisting and fixing this - its incredible that you kept getting sent the wrong module. The other big lesson is that we should all record our CAN bus data when our cars are fully working, for future reference.

Old 10-08-2019, 04:28 AM
Veteran Member

And well done from me too.

Fantastic example of persistence, collaboration and camaraderie.

Old 02-12-2020, 10:39 AM

Alrighty boys, lets revive this thread for a round two.

I just got the car back on the road and in a "drive able" state.

All was well again for a few miles, and then the check engine light came back on again.

Code reader says the problem is C1137:

Old 02-12-2020, 02:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,419 Likes on 755 Posts
Default F&@k!

WTF! You think you got it sorted, but..... F&@k! S£&t! WTF!

Mad Hatter (02-12-2020)
Old 02-12-2020, 03:11 PM

I am still getting the intermittent emergency brake warning lights on the dash.

Before anyone asks, yes the emergency brake is off. Had to learn that lesson the hard way, the day after i bought the car from the previous owner, who also didn't know the emergency brake was on

I plan on going in to try and adjust the e-brake switch, or replace it if it is faulty.

Could something innocuous like this be causing my ABS error?

Old 02-15-2020, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member

E-brake warning could be a dodgy switch - they are a tad crude.

That light also serves as a low brake fluid warning, so perhaps that or an issue with the level sensor?

The C1137 threads I found mostly turn out to be the ABS module itself.

Last edited by michaelh; 02-15-2020 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-15-2020, 01:35 PM

I think it is the e-brake switch for sure, if i wiggle the e brake, pull it up, or put it down whenever it is acting up on the dash, it changes the behavior of the light.

I just imagined maybe it is an adjuster that isn't allowing the ebrake to fully seat back down in its proper position.

I think I am going to have to go in to the one jag shop here that told me that i should just tow this car to the junkyard, have them run scans on the car for me and tell me what it says.

I wish I had an alternative shop to take it to, but no one in this area

Old 02-15-2020, 09:47 PM

I just went and test drove it a few miles away and back.

On the way i smelled something burning, i got out and prepared the fire extinguisher.

As I lifted the hood i noticed that coolant had sprayed up near the front of the hood.

Upon further inspection, the crossover pipe AJ8-5885 was leaking.
The nipple for the heater hose had collapsed under the pressure of the hose clamp and pushed the heater hose off.
I did some fancy zip tying to hold the heater hose in place and make it not leak.

On the way back i got another check engine light:

Codes

P1637
C1137

So we are back to this fight again. I also lost the speedo during the trip home, related to the abs failure no doubt.

DavidYau (02-20-2020)
Old 02-20-2020, 02:39 AM

I am getting ever closer to having a fully functional XK8.

But for now, I just bring more problems to the forums.

I was out test driving the "car" and it gave me a check engine light, then traction control errors, and then finally a "gearbox fault" and locked me in to i am guessing 3rd or 4th.
I made it the next half mile and then shut it off for a few minutes and then turned it on and at least the transmission started working again.

I got the code reader on it before the transmission stopped working, and then during the time the transmission stopped working.

Code dump from before transmission stopped working:

C1137 - ABS Control Module internal circuit failure
P1224 - Electronic Throttle Control Position Error

Code dump from after transmission stopped working:

C1137 - ABS Control Module internal circuit failure
P1637 - CAN Link ECM/ABS Control Module Circuit/Network
P1642 - CAN Link Circuit
P1797 - CAN TCM/ECM Circuit Malfunction

I had previously pulled the ECM out to visually inspect for any burnt traces or bad capacitors, a month or so ago, it all looked perfectly fine. Maybe it is time to take it out and inspect it again, along with the TCM too.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mad Hatter:
DavidYau (02-20-2020), Torsten Holdermann (04-05-2023)

Quick Reply: P1637