XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P171 & P174 SOLVED... Not what you think

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 08:55 AM
Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by jamdmyers
It's not on my 02 xkr, I believe he's right which leads me to a bit of thinking.
If like some replace the air box with a KN the air volume probably changes some from stock (isn't that the point) and these folks don't see the restricted perf due to this. You might consider forcing it closed all the time and take a drive and see what happens.
I know what happens - everything works and no codes are thrown
I now became an expert in disassembling the box assembly in under 2 minutes. Once I put the spring in place, no codes for a few days. Once I get the codes, I know that the spring is out. I open up the box and, sure enough, the spring is out of it's intended position - just hanging there. I am not even sure that I can buy that assembly alone, without having to purchase the complete unit.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,347 Likes on 743 Posts

How many junk yards on Long Island? Get to be an expect at taking what you need, that way you will have all the tools handy, maybe even in you pocket. Do you have a Pull Your Parts salvage yard near you? Couple of guys on the forum have parts cars.

Wayne

Old 12-21-2014, 12:16 PM
Received 189 Likes on 123 Posts
Default air flow

Looking at your Sig. block, I assume your talking about the 05 coupe., although you never say, so I'll chime in.

I had a very similar problems with my 05/XK8 convertible, even down to cancelling the codes with my reader and after some miles the codes would come back. Can't remember what they were, but it was a lean issue.

Did all the normal things--cleaning the MAF indicator, then replacing it etc.
Making this short, it turned out to be the duck work between the MAF and the TB where it looks like an accordion. The tops of most of this had cracked because it is so thin. You can see these cracks by running your thumb along the tops.

I removed the ducking between the air box and TB and using good quality 3M electrical tape, wrapped the length of the accordion section from end to end. Made three passes. Try to stretch the tape as far as it will stretch and try to keep the cross over from one crimp to the next at the same place. If done right, it's almost unnoticeable.

If this is your problem, hopefully you'll be happy.

Last edited by Chuck Schexnayder; 12-21-2014 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:30 PM
Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Schexnayder
Looking at your Sig. block, I assume your talking about the 05 coupe., although you never say, so I'll chime in.

I had a very similar problems with my 05/XK8 convertible, even down to cancelling the codes with my reader and after some miles the codes would come back. Can't remember what they were, but it was a lean issue.

Did all the normal things--cleaning the MAF indicator, then replacing it etc.
Making this short, it turned out to be the duck work between the MAF and the TB where it looks like an accordion. The tops of most of this had cracked because it is so thin. You can see these cracks by running your thumb along the tops.

I removed the ducking between the air box and TB and using good quality 3M electrical tape, wrapped the length of the accordion section from end to end. Made three passes. Try to stretch the tape as far as it will stretch and try to keep the cross over from one crimp to the next at the same place. If done right, it's almost unnoticeable.

If this is your problem, hopefully you'll be happy.
It's not the duct - the one on my car looks almost brand new.

Old 12-22-2014, 12:50 PM
Received 189 Likes on 123 Posts

Looks can get you in trouble. Get yourself a light and run your thumb across those folds.
I went a long time not even worrying about mine [because it looked brand new].