XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Paint touch-up

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 06:07 PM
Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
...It would be useless anyway since it is virtually impossible to avoid the lower bumper scrapes with these cars. The design of the lower bumper really should have incorporated some metal skids or something to avoid scraping up the underside...Doug
Totally agree and my car is lowered to boot! Since I have a Victory Edition with carbon fiber bits I was thinking of adding a very small, bolt-on, replaceable carbon fiber chin spoiler or splitter just below the undertray so it could take all the abuse. At least our oil coolers are protected!

Old 04-13-2013, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 539 Likes on 402 Posts

When I had my 95 Corvette I thought the front was pretty low but only infrequently scraped pavement. Moreover, the design of that car included steel skids to protect against scraping up the bumper.

When I was shopping around for the Jaguar I was in the Corvette and the first thing the owner of the XKR I eventually bought warned me was that the Jaguar was low and watch out for scraping the bumper. He told me always to drive over dips at a sharp angle rather than straight on. The Corvette was next to his (now my) Jaguar and I thought the guy was nuts. The Corvette looked much lower in the front and I almost never hit the pavement. But looks are deceiving as the Jaguar is overall taller in the front but the bumper drops down much lower. Sure enough I scraped while leaving his driveway on a test drive and had egg on my face.

Doug

Old 04-13-2013, 08:01 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

Doug, correct me if I am wrong, but I think that there may also be a longer distance from the front tires to the nose of the Jag, than on the Vette.

That geometry would mean that the front end of the Jag would dip lower when going into a depression.

That distance is what I had to get used to when I first started driving mine since it extended a good bit beyond what you can see from the driver's seat with the way that it slants down. I would miscalculate the distance to the front end when pulling up to things, and ended up scraping the front end up a few times.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 539 Likes on 402 Posts

Hey Kevin--you may be right. With both cars I could never accurately judge where the front of the car is. Consequently when pulling into one of those parking spaces with the low concrete barrier at the front I invariably end up touching the barrier with the bumper when I think I still have a foot or two to go. But in addition to the possibly longer front overhang, the bottom of the bumper is actually lower than that on the Corvette (I measured when I had both cars). Although the Corvette was actually much lower in the front, the bumper was very shallow while the Jaguar's is very deep.

Doug