XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Parking Sensor Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 09:37 PM
Received 59 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Parking Sensor Replacement

In reading up on replacing a rear inboard parking sensor on my 03 XK8, someone in another post I ran across mentioned they seemed to be generic sensors, used in many different vehicles. I have searched the site repeatedly, including the Non-OEM part sticky but can't seem to find an alternate part number that might replace the OEM Part # LJE7355AB for the inboard sensor. Does anyone have a recommendation or a crossover part number?

I found what might be one and have ordered it but it's really just a guess and gamble. If it fits and works, I will post it here but it isn't due in for a couple of weeks.

Old 02-17-2019, 11:08 AM

Well the sensor finally came in. It's part number is YDB00012. It is not an exact match but pretty darn close. It will plug in to the harness and function. I tested it and it allowed the park assist system to work correctly. It will fit the existing trim pieces for the bumper install that you have to reuse. The one fly in the ointment is that the oval line that runs across the front of the sensor is oriented 90 degrees off from the factory one! And of course that is the one thing you can see from the outside of the car!

I decided that I would cut off the locking stud from the body of the non-OEM sensor and glue it to the correct location, so the face of the sensor will be oriented correctly once installed. An Exacto knife worked perfectly for that. Alternatively I could have altered the exterior bumper sleeve by cutting in another locking slot. But with the sensor only being $10 bucks, I figured it was the cheaper part to modify. (OEM sensor was $138 or so everywhere I could find it.) I still have to do the painting and complete the re-installation so I'm curious if the very overpowered retaining spring will break off the glued stud. It is possible to install the sensor without the spring as I left the spring off of mine as I awaited the new one to arrive and it stayed snugly in place while driving it nearly every day.

I suppose if someone doesn't mind the face of the sensor being oriented up and down as opposed to side to side they could use it as is and just not have it match. I did think about using the face of the sensor cover cap from the old one but that is not an option as I found upon removal. Wiring connects the two parts and the sensor is actually partially contained in the forward part of the cap.

The following 2 users liked this post by XK8 Rebel:
GGG (02-18-2019), Orthodixie (02-18-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 09:17 PM

Well I painted the sensor face today and installed it. The parking assist now works fine and looks fine too. The reattached tab worked well and took a fair bit of abuse while trying to reinstall the replacement sensor. But try as I might, I couldn't get the sensor's tab to lock in place while using the OEM coil spring tensioner part. I had thought this might be an issue when I removed the original and it was. The spring was just too much to overcome when you can only put two finger tips on the wiring harness of the sensor and you can't twist it at all that way. Without fighting the spring pressure, fitting it was pretty easy and the friction fit seems plenty snug to keep everything in place. Even with an OEM sensor, I think that would have been an issue. So I will keep an eye on it for a while but really don't think it will be a problem. If I do see any movement, I may remove the rubber spacer from the spring and try to install it that way to see if that works any better.

And apologies to all! I left a one off of the part # above and the site wouldn't allow me to edit it. ! It should be YDB000121 It would appear it was for a Ford Mark 2.

Last edited by XK8 Rebel; 02-18-2019 at 09:45 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,686 Likes on 1,001 Posts

I just replaced the 2 inboard sensors on my '02 XKR using a couple of generic ebay sensors. The ebay sensors had a circle line on them instead of the 2 parallel lines which are connected with 2 curved lines, and of course they are black instead of a body color.

I had the same same issue as you with the spring exerting too much force, or so I thought. On the replacements I purchased the old hardware fit fine but when I tried to do the installation I couldn't get the sensor to lock in place with the housing.

Upon taking the housing out of the bumper and trying to assemble the parts out of the car, it became clear that the spring was coil binding before the sensor had gone far enough into the housing to lock in place. Sure enough the removable ring that spaces out the spring had not been positioned exactly right, and that was causing the spring coil-binding situation.

once I figured that out, I repositioned the spring locating ring so the spring could go deeper into the sensor, which eliminated the coil bound phenomena. LOL. Aside from loosing valuable skin on both hands, the rest of the process went as well as can be expected when working on a car with hands that are way to big to fit the job requirements.

with a little touch up paint , the new sensors blend in perfectly as long as you don't look at the two outboard sensors and see they have a little difference in the style. Luckily you can't see all 4 of them at the same time.

Z

PS. I bought these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Rear-Pa...72.m2749.l2649

Last edited by zray; 02-18-2019 at 11:29 PM.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:43 PM

Zray,
I bought this one specifically because it had the oval face and matched the others.
https://www.amazon.com/AUTOHAUX-YDB000121-Bumper-Reverse-Parking/dp/B07CPMJVLY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1550622288&sr=8-1&keywords=YDB000121 https://www.amazon.com/AUTOHAUX-YDB000121-Bumper-Reverse-Parking/dp/B07CPMJVLY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1550622288&sr=8-1&keywords=YDB000121
Unfortunately, many of the pictures of the sensor's don't seem to show the face of it so you can't tell whether or not it has the oval, circle or flat face.

I may take another crack at the spring but I did assemble it outside of the car and it went together ok with no binding that I could see. It was once it was in place in the bumper that I had the problem. It just seems to exert too much pressure to allow the tab on the sensor to go all the way in to the locking slot and there was just no twisting it once the outer sleeve was pushed in enough to bottom out the tab.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,686 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by XK8 Rebel
Zray,
I bought this one specifically because it had the oval face and matched the others. https://www.amazon.com/AUTOHAUX-YDB0...ords=YDB000121 Unfortunately, many of the pictures of the sensor's don't seem to show the face of it so you can't tell whether or not it has the oval, circle or flat face........".
Well I'll be darned. Now I'm conflicted.

On one side I wish I would've bought the one you did, since the face is a dead ringer match for the original sensor. But on the other other hand , if if won't fit, I'm glad I got the one I did, since is does fit nice and secure once the spring spacer ring is correctly oriented..

Best of luck getting yours assembled.

Z