XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Part needed - Driver side electric seat control unit

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2021, 02:01 AM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Part needed - Driver side electric seat control unit

Hi all,

I’m looking for a driver side electric seat unit as mine has seemingly failed. I don’t know what the official jag colour would be but it’s white? Picture attached and any help would be appreciated.

nothing suitable on eBay!

thanks

Old 07-08-2021, 04:17 AM
GGG
Received 16,868 Likes on 12,186 Posts

It could be Cream (NDR), Ivory (NED) or Oatmeal (AGD) to match the seats. Check the manufacturer sticker on the LH door piller for the trim code. Also different P/N for 4-way or 6-way seats.

As you have discovered, these are very hard to source.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
piper 888 (07-08-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 06:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,820 Likes on 2,247 Posts

Are you sure it's not the seat control module mounted under the seat that failed? That's a common problem.

Old 07-08-2021, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,514 Likes on 1,061 Posts

I'd say the same, you need a bit more investigation before replacing the whole thing. The problem usually lies with the control modules. Start your investigation by swapping the driver side with the passenger side modules. They are under the front lip of the seat bottoms. Pretty easy to reach. 2 screws and 2 or 3 connectors. Typically, the problem moves with the module. The primary route is to have these modules repaired (new ones are expen$ive, and may require re-programming).

Barring that, the seat does not seem to have a lot of magic. The motors and mechanisms are exposed at the bottom. I am sure parts can be exchanged as needed, either new or used. Wiring is exposed too. There are more components in the seat back that are revealed when the seat back skin is carefully unhooked from the bottom and lifted upwards. The bladder also sometimes becomes disconnected from its supply hose.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Old 07-08-2021, 10:35 AM

Thanks for the feedback so far. I should have mentioned we’ve already tried swapping the modules but no luck unfortunately. The seat is stuck in a position which is further forward than tolerable especially On longer journey which is why I’m looking at potentially replacing the unit.

Is there a manual override or any suggestion with respect to moving the seat as is for the time being?

I will check the colour code later on and confirm.

thanks

Old 07-08-2021, 10:42 AM
Received 8,284 Likes on 4,999 Posts

Stating DRIVER'S side tells most of us NOTHING.
What driver's side? North America? Australia? Europe LHD or UK RHD?

People throughout the world drive on different sides of the car depending on the laws or car imported from another market.

Old 07-08-2021, 11:42 AM

UK member, UK car, RHD

Old 07-08-2021, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by BlackXK
UK member, UK car, RHD
I also added an image so everyone can see

Old 07-08-2021, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,514 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackXK
I should have mentioned we’ve already tried swapping the modules but no luck unfortunately. The seat is stuck in a position which is further forward than tolerable
Hmm, then maybe the switch pack is the problem. From memory, some have been able to open the switch pack and clean the pads/switches with alcohol. There is a rubber membrane involved that degrades over time. You have to do your research on how to reach the switches and remove the trim piece. There are tabs that can break easily, and the part is apparently super hard to find.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Old 07-08-2021, 01:58 PM

This is the trim by the looks - Ivory?

Old 07-08-2021, 02:03 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Swap you with mine from the (UK RHD ) passenger seat - that switch is also broke and the seat was too far reclined for wifey

I have taken the seat out and then to pieces to find the motor, it's directly behind your back and easily got to (I've got the Recarro seats, same as yours, but in black)

To "fix" mine, the second time after the garage had been playing, was to tip the seat forward, and you'll see the front back, if you follow my logic, goes to the rear of the seat through the gap between the base and the back. This then sits in an U channel, fixed to the back of the back. Starting one end, you can carefully, using a large flat screwdriver, lift the tabs out from the U channel - it's split into three section, two about 50mm long at each end and then the rest as a continuous length. Pull it through to the front

Once you've done this, you should be able to get behind the padding in the front, between the vertical supports. On my passenger seat, the motor and clips are on the door side - it might be center console side on the drivers? There's only 2 wires going to the motor. What I did was split the connector, and and run temporarily two wires from the connector half to the motor half, but swapped round. This allowed me to put the seat back too far forward, so that when everything was re-assembled and wifey got in she could nudge it back slowly to a comfortable position, and then leave the switch alone!

I have removed the switch and tried cleaning the graphite pads etc with no joy. The control module was held in with a cable tie, so I assume someone has already tried the swap.

The cheapest I've found the switch is about the 95 quid mark - for something that hardly gets used, unless you carry a lot of passengers, I didn't think it was worth the cost

once you get the seat where you like it, store it's position using the memory button on the door - should help if it happens again