XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Pass window won't rise all the way

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2021, 09:01 PM
Received 282 Likes on 164 Posts
Default Pass window won't rise all the way

Hello noble forum gurus. My passenger window binds as I raise it up. I only get about half way and it binds up. The front of the glass seems to lag behind when lifting from full down. I have the door card off thank you to Father and Son videos and the speaker out. The plastic guide at the very front edge seems to be binding but the tilt of the window concerns me. I have lubed and looked and poked around but nothing helps so far. I took off the front guide and things work better but not great, all of this came on all of a sudden. You can't see real well in there so it quite difficult. Could the attachment point in the front of the regulator that connects to the glass be out of order since it droops some?? Thanks IA, TM

Old 07-24-2021, 08:19 AM
Received 287 Likes on 205 Posts

If you haven't already, this would be the time if you desire to install JagWranglers remote for your top. As I remember, the bottom near center window adjustment will affect tilt, especially with the rear quarter windows.
I treated myself to the remote after getting my windows aligned.

Old 07-25-2021, 05:52 PM

I'm not familiar with the remote kit but I have the top latch bypassed and release it manually. So I venture a guess that it wouldn't work.
But back to my window problem, I seemed to have it solved. Mr. Moderator you may mark this resolved. This morning I got back to the project (have a Brit Car show coming up) and I made a minor adjustment to the forward track adjuster and Viola', it glides up and down nicely.
Now upon start up for a celebratory victory drive, I had a squeak from a belt or pulley from under the hood/bonnet. It stopped by the time I backed out of the garage and opened up. I'll have to investigate and rectify that before the journey to Wayne's World in October. TM

Edit: It may have been 1 1/2 to 2 turns of the adjuster screw. TM

Last edited by STLTHMSTA; 07-26-2021 at 04:50 PM.
Old 07-26-2021, 11:10 AM
Received 287 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by STLTHMSTA
I'm not familiar with the remote kit but I have the top latch bypassed and release it manually. So I venture a guess that it wouldn't work.
But back to my window problem, I seemed to have it solved. Mr. Moderator you may mark this resolved. This morning I got back to the project (have a Brit Car show coming up) and I made a minor adjustment to the forward track adjuster and Viola', it glides up and down nicely.
Now upon start up for a celebratory victory drive, I had a squeak from a belt or pulley from under the hood/bonnet. It stopped by the time I backed out of the garage and opened up. I'll have to investigate and rectify that before the journey to Wayne's World in October. TM
Tom,
Glad that you got it adjusted. You are correct that Steve's Remote does use the top latch.
Looking forward to seeing all at Wayne's in Oct.

Old 10-24-2021, 03:10 PM
Received 131 Likes on 65 Posts

My window problem might be the same or different. The passenger front glass does not close against the passenger side rear glass, shown here in the pictures. It happens when raising the top as well as just raising the window. It started to happen suddenly. Anyone else have this issue? Is it the front or back window that needs adjustment. Is this just a matter of pulling the door card and adjusting, and if so, anybody have advice on what to try first?

Old 10-24-2021, 03:24 PM
Received 8,142 Likes on 4,912 Posts

Bolts get loose and move enough to cause the glass to 'tilt'.
Make sure ALL the fasteners for the lift mechanism are TIGHT.

Old 10-24-2021, 04:58 PM

I'm glad this came up again. My problem solving was short lived. The root of my issue seems to be the front attachment of the regulator to the bottom of the glass. I'll need to go back in when time allows and see if it can be tightened as motorman suggests or if I need some new hardware. The front is drooping or lagging behind when you lift the window. If it gets worse it will jam and stall the motor. DO NOT force it hoping it'll go up. Bad things can happen. Mine seems to be sloppy where it attaches. Hope this helps. TM

Old 10-31-2021, 11:47 AM

I will answer my own question here and in these pictures. If anyone needs to remove the door card this information may be helpful. The alignment of the front and rear windows is very easy to adjust. The hard part is getting access to the adjustment nut by removing the door card and plastic insulation sheet (mine was held with both peelable caulk and double sided tape). Use a T30 torx bit to ensure the window motor is not moving around. You could also put fresh grease on the window rails while you are in there. I used two sided carpet tape on reassembly.

Remove three screws before attempting to pry the door card.

Pry the nine plastic fasteners while leaving all weatherstrips in place.

Loosen adjustment nut, line up the windows, tighten the nut and reassemble.

Old 10-31-2021, 01:46 PM
Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Hi,
I had the same issue recently with both side windows because of the inaccurate guidance and because the window lifter was having increasing problems raising the windows.
I recommend removing both the window regulator and the window because this is the only way to solve the problems. Actually, this can be done in the garage without special tools and its far easier than it seems. Also just one adjustment has to be made, the height adjustment in the last picture of jagophile, the position of this 10 mm nut has to be marked before loosening.

What i found was dirt and old gummy grease and a whole of plastic guides, most still in usable condition. I replaced the "sliding jaws" that connect the window to the window regulator. After everything has been cleaned and re-greased, the window regulators work perfectly again.

Good luck,
Fritz

Old 11-01-2021, 08:24 AM

Well that's helpful (as usual). I have a few things getting in the way of me getting back to this but I will. It's on the list!! The weather is fading fast and I have some outdoor things to do and I can still drive the car, LOL. Thanks for that info I will make good use of it. Has anyone noticed that it's always the right side door?? Could be a sign, a pattern? They're haunted?? Could be. TM

Old 01-13-2022, 04:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

having problems with windows, with it not going up more than 1/2. You say remove both window regular and window. Any instructions? looked at it and can't quite figure out how to do it
Bill

Old 01-14-2022, 08:00 AM

Good day Bill
IMHO removing the regulator and removing the window is major surgery. Before you go there press the easy button. Clean old grease with solvent and put fresh grease (white lithium is my pick) in its place. Move the window tilt adjustment screw (as shown in my third picture above) slightly up or down, then raise and lower the window. Keep moving the tilt adjustment until the window works like new.

Old 01-14-2022, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts

EDIT - Sorry. This is in response to post 5.

Look in the bottom of the door cavity for these 2 bits. I had the exact same problem and these (on mine) were missing alllllll together... I don't want to say what I had to pay for these 2 bits once I found them. Still leaves a bad taste in my mouth, lol...

Last edited by JayJagJay; 01-14-2022 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01-15-2022, 07:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice to have this group. My problem was fixed by adjusting the bolt shown above.
thanks guys-