XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Passenger seat slides back and forth but DOES NOT RECLINE...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 04:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Passenger seat slides back and forth but DOES NOT RECLINE...

Hey Everyone,

Seems like my passenger seat is able to slide back and forth with the seat controls but does not recline (even though I hear the noise when pushing the recline button).

I bought another seat module thinking that may be the issue, but same thing happens. I even swapped the module from my driver seat which functions perfectly but that didn't make it work either.

Mechanic thinks it may be the motors under the seat and those alone cost $500 from the junkyard + labor to install them...Definitely don't want to pay all that...

Anyone have this issue? Any solutions? Tried searching and couldn't find anything

Old 11-07-2016, 08:39 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It would appear that your tilt motor drive is not working. Since the tilt operation is a motor going thru a reduction gear to a long shaft at the base of the back, your problem has to be either the motor or the reduction gear. Is the noise you hear a 'whirring' noise? Is it the motor turning? If so then the small plastic gears are the problem. I had to remove mine and repair the motor. If you want to try to repair, contact me.

The following users liked this post:
kingcobra (11-17-2016)
Old 11-17-2016, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Paul1940
It would appear that your tilt motor drive is not working. Since the tilt operation is a motor going thru a reduction gear to a long shaft at the base of the back, your problem has to be either the motor or the reduction gear. Is the noise you hear a 'whirring' noise? Is it the motor turning? If so then the small plastic gears are the problem. I had to remove mine and repair the motor. If you want to try to repair, contact me.
The motor sounds like it is turning on but nothing happens, so perhaps the plastic gears like you said.

Is that an easy fix? Any pics/how to?

Thanks!

Old 11-18-2016, 07:02 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Easy is in the eye of the beholder. Fixing seat involves :
1) removing seat
2) seat disassembly (separate back section from seat section)
3) remove back section seat cover
4) remove recliner shaft at base of back section
5) remove motor from shaft
6) replace gears in plastic box attached to motor/gear housing.
Hardest part is finding parts needed as most junkyards will only sell whole seats.
Easier to replace whole seat.
If you want to attempt and can get parts, contact me and I will provide details.

Last edited by Paul1940; 11-18-2016 at 07:05 AM. Reason: add more data
Old 07-21-2017, 05:25 PM

Thanks Paul. Seems like its definitely a hassle.

What do people do in these situations? Find a seat from a junkyard or buy an aftermarket seat?

I'm afraid to buy a seat from junkyard and soon after have to deal with the same issue again as it seems to be pretty common.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:04 AM

Our local independent Jag shop have told me they can move my reclined passenger seat back to a more upright position ( for the wife 'happy wife, happy life' ) it would take them around an hour.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:43 AM
Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

I had the same issue with drivers side swapped control mods same thing so I accessed the moter, easy to get to and unplugged power connection .i used a 12v bat connected to moter and moved it back and forth by reversing + and - till I positioned it where I wanted it. Worked for me must be. An issue with wiring from the harness but since I am the only driver I am ��