XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Perceived arrogance..? I hope I'm wrong..

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 10:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In October 2012 I took my XK8 to Biloxi, Mississippi for their annual Beach Crusin week. There are literally thousand of older cars there in every category you can imagine. My Jag was widely accepted and I got all of those thumbs up and great comments. Maybe it's just a California thing, although I would have thought they appreciate nice cars as well.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:12 AM
Received 153 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Frog
Here in communist France any car worth more than about $50K when new is frowned upon by the revolutionaries.

Which is precisely why I bought my XKR. I simply love wafting about in it, blitzing the occasional Peugeot or Renault that wants to take me on. It's also RHD and has a Côte d'Azur licence plate, which must pi$$ them off even more
I love all of this.

Originally Posted by Sambo21
I've never needed the approval/disapproval of others to run my life. Those who make negative comments about my Jag, and by extension, me, are easily ignored.

But I've never entirely felt comfortable about accepting compliments about the car. After all, I just BOUGHT it. Accolades should rightly be given to those who conceived, designed and built it. My pleasure is in driving it.
Great reasoning.

Last edited by Sentinelist; 03-24-2013 at 12:15 AM.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:09 AM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Lanny
I don't know if this is the right place to ask this question, and if I offend anyone please let me apologize in advance. I don't mean this to be offensive.
I am new to the world of "nice cars". What I mean by that is I am basically a old Ford or Chevy guy. Most of my cars are street rods or classics. When I drive these cars I usually get a smile and a thumbs up from the motoring public at large. I always try to smile and give a little wave or honk. If I am approached when parked somewhere I am glad to answer questions, or let someone take a picture with my car.
While we were traveling recently in our XK8 I did not get that response. In fact what I perceived was more of an assumption that we were rich *** holes that expected to be treated as such. If they only knew that my car cost less than 10K and that I worked on it constantly to make it run, maybe they would feel differently. I hope I am wrong in this perception. Maybe I just ran into the wrong group of people, but it is not what I am about.
Maybe I am guilty of feeling that way too when I see some of the super cars that some people drive. It is a little different to be on the other side.....
Not sure how long you've had the vehicle, but FWIW I was extremely self-conscious initially, starting any conversation with an apology for how much the car costs (or looks like it costs) and feeling embarrassed to drive it. My wife felt this way too, and actually suggested we tint the windows so she could feel LESS conspicuous! After about five months now I'm settling in to feeling proud of my motorized artwork and my near-constant efforts to keep it looking nice (not easy with a black car), and less worried about others' opinions, good or bad.

But anyway, it's taken a while.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you came around Muddydog. I'm not going to apologize to anyone for spending money I earned to buy what I want. ~Chuckle~ Oops, some arrogance just slipped ou!

Old 03-24-2013, 09:24 AM
Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

My ultimate high was when a group of bikers cam over to admire the car!

Old 03-24-2013, 10:13 AM
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by mcook
My ultimate high was when a group of bikers cam over to admire the car!
My XK8 is the first convertible I've ever owned. I've never owned a bike. However, that said, the experience of driving topless has helped me understand why bikers just LOVE to get out and ride. I've also noticed that most bikers take care of their rides like we take car of our XK8/Rs.

I had a similar experience with some bikers admiring the XK8. You should have seen them beam when I went over and admired their rides.