XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Performance upgrades to my 02 XKR

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 01:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance upgrades to my 02 XKR

Just purchased my Pacific Blue coupe a few weeks ago. I had the timing chain tensioners maintenanced, and now the good stuff. The local Jag dealer senior mechanic convinced me to let him do the tensioners. As I mentioned in an earlier blog this motor had the suspect all nylon tensioners. Repaced all four. Bottom ones were frozen anyways which eventually would have led to a catastrophic failure. Replaced top transfer chains too. They take a beating and were stretched too. Now that the motor is sound I rooked my soninlaw into crawling under the car to help me put in a Mina exhaust. The next day, after a partial recovery from crawling around in the driveway we put on a Mina fresh air intake and an overdrive pulley for the supercharger. End result, smiles a mile wide and a lot more giddyup fromm 5,000 to 6,000. I learned some neat tricks for removal and reinstallation of the blower pulley. If interested just message me back.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:33 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Give us a thread with the tips so we can all see 'em.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:22 PM

To remove the stock steel supercharger pulley I elected to grind it off as far as I could with an air grinder. Electric will work as well using small (about 1" dia) discs. I wasn't able to to split the pulley in two as I had planned without going into the shaft and housing. So I carefully and slowly worked the grinder down to the supercharger snout and shaft. I rotated the pulley 180 and repeated the process. In theory I would end up with two halves of a pulley. In practice I was only able to weaken the press fit that the pulley had on the shaft. To finish the removal I took a good quality 3 fork pulley puller and after a couple of trials it budged and slowly was pulled off the shaft.
This pulley has a death grip press fit on the shaft so all my grinding efforts were not wasted because the compact puller (no room for a larger one) would never remove this pulley otherwise. To install the new pulley I cut a hole in the side wall ofa plastic drinking cup to fit tightly over the supercharger shaft. I filled the cup with ice and set the pulley in a convection toaster oven @ 400 F for 15 minutes. I grabbed some welding gloves and asked my son in law (poor guy can't seem to avoid me) to pull the ice cup off as I came flying out of the kitchen with the hot pulley. Whoaaaah, it slipped on like butter. End result: combo of fresh intake, blower over drive pulley and Mina free exhaust gives a very noticeable gain betwween 5k and 6k. Everybody is happy. Don't try and make your own pulley on a lathe. The Mina pulley is pricy but perfect.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:32 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

No low end and midrange gain felt from pulley? I could see the top end gain from the better breathing that the intake and exaust would bring, but I have been curious if the pulley would make much of a imporvement since our superchargers are about maxed out from what I have read. Also what outside temps are you driving in, as ambient temps play a big role in forced aspirated applications as well.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:11 PM
Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

If you are looking to increase your acceleration I have a rear end set up available that will fit your car. It is a pozi 3.58 ratio with modified trnasmission control module & diff plate. This is a straight bolt on that will greatly increase your acceleration. The standard ratio is 3.07 non pozi.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:20 PM

That may be it for mods to my Jag. I forgot to mention that I have a 427 bored and stroked Windsor roller motor in my Factory Five replicar Shelby Cobra that seems to take care of my unending need for adreneline rushs. This one runs 12 flat in the 1/4. Its a street car that would probably run 11 flat if I shovelled more time and money into it. I run a 4.11 rear end in this one. No need to downshift when I pull out to pass. I love the Jag just the way it is; lots of giddy up and still great for road trips. When I go into super saver mode I jump in my 03 Matrix six speed with the 8 grand redline GTS motor. At 67 I've had ample opportunity to grow up. Fortunately it hasn't happened.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:21 PM

Thanks for the offer on the Jag differential.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:36 PM

Oh yes, the ambient temperature thing. I live on the west coast of Florida. We have heat waves even in the winter! I solved the ambient temperature paradox years ago when I was racing my 409 Chevy powered 56 tbird many moons ago. I dumped two bags of crushed ice sans the bags on this aluminum intake minutes before I pulled to the starting line at the local strip. When I launched the car the ice would go flying everywhere, but never seemed to find my rear tires. This stunt was good for 2/10s in the 1/4 on a hot day. It may have made it a little slippery for the next competitor. I don't know. I didn't want to know!

Old 04-19-2010, 05:29 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey JAXKR How much of a difference did your rear end make and I think im interested in this mod.