XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

please advise: buy XKR or XK8?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,700 Likes on 1,012 Posts

Originally Posted by MediaBobNY
'".............. You want a sports car, get a 'Vette. I'm reminded of a quote by Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear fame, upon his initial review of the X100: "The XK8 is more agile than an XJS but it’s still not a sports car. It’s a heavyweight which will tolerate brutal treatment but quite frankly it would rather you just grew up and slowed down a bit."

I'm quite pleased with my XK8.
With all due respect to Jeremy Clarkson ( AKA the blow-hard ), when recently looking for my daily driver, I looked and at, and drove, many many 1994-2012 Corvettes to see if they could fill my requirements as well as the XKR, which I was also considering. It didn't take long to discover that the Corvettes are not in the same class as the XKR, regardless of the criteria used for evaluation. The build quality of the Corvette is abysmal. And I'm talking about well preserved, well cared for examples. They universally have unacceptable levels of wind noise, numerous rattles and creaks, the engine compartment smells are noticeablein the cockpit, and they exhibit poor ride quality.

If that's not enough, the acceleration and cornering are not superior to the XKR. I came into this car search open minded. In fact, I was hoping to find an American made car vs imported, so I was willing to overlook a few flies on the Corvette and the other domestic cars I looked at.

Yes, the XKR's and XK8's are not marketed as pure sports cars. But nevertheless they do a swell job of putting America's premier sport car to shame.

Just my opinion.

Z

Old 02-07-2018, 11:16 AM
Received 144 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by zray

Just my opinion.

Z

You're entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts. Source of below: www.zerotosixtytimes.com.

"It didn't take long to discover that the Corvettes are not in the same class as the XKR,"
Precisely my point. The Jag is a GT; the Corvette is a sports car. Don't look for a high level of refinement and "ride quality" in it. Nor should you in a Ferrari or Lamborghini. Then there's the price. The XKR was, as a ballpark, $100,000. You can purchase a *2019* Corvette starting at around half that - $55,495.

2000 Jaguar XKR Compare Car 0-60 mph 4.9 | Quarter mile 13.3
2000 Jaguar XKR Convertible Compare Car 0-60 mph 5.2 | Quarter mile 13.5
2001 Jaguar XKR Silverstone Compare Car 0-60 mph 4.8 | Quarter mile 13.0
2003 Jaguar XKR Convertible Compare Car 0-60 mph 5.2 | Quarter mile 13.8
2003 Jaguar XKR Compare Car 0-60 mph 5.1 | Quarter mile 13.4

1999 Chevrolet Corvette Hardtop Compare Car 0-60 mph 4.7 | Quarter mile 13.1
2001 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe Compare Car 0-60 mph 4.7 | Quarter mile 12.9
2001 Chevrolet Corvette C5-R Compare Car 0-60 mph 3.4 | Quarter mile 10.2
2001 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible Compare Car 0-60 mph 4.4
2001 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe Compare Car 0-60 mph 4.4
2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Compare Car 0-60 mph 4.5 | Quarter mile 12.4
2002 Chevrolet Corvette (Lingenfelter 427 Twin Turbo) Compare Car 0-60 mph 1.97 | Quarter mile 9.1
2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Compare Car 0-60 mph 4.0 | Quarter mile 12.3
2003 Chevrolet Corvette 50th Anniversary Edition Compare Car 0-60 mph 4.8 | Quarter mile 13.2
2005 Chevrolet Corvette C6 Compare Car 0-60 mph 4.2 | Quarter mile 12.6
2006 Chevrolet Corvette ZO6 Compare Car 0-60 mph 3.4 | Quarter mile 11.4
2007 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 Compare Car 0-60 mph 4.2 | Quarter mile 12.6
2007 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Compare Car 0-60 mph 3.6 | Quarter mile 11.7
2008 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Compare Car 0-60 mph 3.7 | Quarter mile 11.8
2008 Chevrolet Corvette Compare Car 0-60 mph 3.9 | Quarter mile 12.2
2009 Chevrolet Corvette Pratt and Miller C6RS Coupe Compare Car 0-60 mph 3.7
2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 Compare Car 0-60 mph 3.3 | Quarter mile 11.1
2009 Chevrolet Corvette Compare Car 0-60 mph 4.0 | Quarter mile 12.4
2010 Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport Compare Car 0-60 mph 3.8 | Quarter mile 12.0
2010 Chevrolet Corvette ZO6 Compare Car 0-60 mph 3.5 | Quarter mile 11.5
2010 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe Compare Car 0-60 mph 4.0 | Quarter mile 12.4
2010 Chevrolet Corvette Callaway SC606 Compare Car 0-60 mph 3.5 | Quarter mile 11.1
2011 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 Compare Car 0-60 mph 3.3 | Quarter mile 11.1
2011 Chevrolet Corvette ZO6 Compare Car 0-60 mph 3.6 | Quarter mile 11.6
2011 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible Compare Car 0-60 mph 4.1
2011 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe Compare Car 0-60 mph 4.1
2011 Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport Compare Car 0-60 mph 3.9
2011 Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport Convertible Compare Car 0-60 mph 4.1 | Quarter mile 12.4
2012 Chevrolet Corvette Callaway SC606 Compare Car 0-60 mph 3.4 | Quarter mile 11.6
2012 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Centennial Edition Compare Car 0-60 mph 3.7
2013 Chevrolet Corvette 427 Convertible Collector Edition Compare Car 0-60 mph 3.7 | Quarter mile 12.0
2014 Chevrolet Corvette Callaway Convertible SC610 Compare Car 0-60 mph 3.4 | Quarter mile 11.0
2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Convertible Compare Car 0-60 mph 3.8 | Quarter mile 12.0
2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Z51 Compare Car 0-60 mph 3.8 | Quarter mile 12.0
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z07 Compare Car 0-60 mph 3.0 | Quarter mile 11.0
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Compare Car 0-60 mph 3.1 | Quarter mile 11.1
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Convertible Compare Car 0-60 mph 3.2
2016 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Convertible Compare Car 0-60 mph 3.3 | Quarter mile 11.3
2016 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Z51 Compare Car 0-60 mph 3.7 | Quarter mile 11.9
2017 Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport Compare Car 0-60 mph 3.6 | Quarter mile 11.8
2017 Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport (Manual) Compare Car 0-60 mph 3.8 | Quarter mile 12.2

Last edited by MediaBobNY; 02-07-2018 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member

OK, then. I'm directly comparing 10-20 year old cars to other 10-20 year old cars .Sure the Corvette is marketed differently and to a different market segment than the XKR.. But it still has to adhere to modern expectations and not be a complete throwback to the 1960's. Specs from a factory prepped then new C4 or C5 Corvette etc which was . sent to a magazine for a starry-eyed review that depends on how much advertising space .Chevy ponied up for., well, those specs don't reconcile with my recent test rides .

I do do my own research, in person, with actual seat time in a car before I develop an opinion. I certainly don't rely on magazine reviews and 0 to 60 dot com's for my research, If I did, I'd want to keep it to myself..

..... I'm driving in the real world, and in that place, the used C4 and C5 Corvettes suck in every way you can measure., as sports cars, or just as cars in general. The problems those cars have can't be fixed, they are part of the car's DNA.

Z

Old 02-07-2018, 01:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MediaBobNY
'Couple of things that haven't been mentioned. You'd take a hit on MPG with the supercharged version. Why pay for that if you're not going to use the additional HP? And, bottom line, these are GT (Grand Touring) cars meant for casual (or spirited) top-down motoring, not sports cars. You want a sports car, get a 'Vette. I'm reminded of a quote by Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear fame, upon his initial review of the X100: "The XK8 is more agile than an XJS but it’s still not a sports car. It’s a heavyweight which will tolerate brutal treatment but quite frankly it would rather you just grew up and slowed down a bit."

I'm quite pleased with my XK8.
Well said, first thing i did when i decided i wanted an XK was watch reviews on it and Jeremy’s was one of those. And the reviews were mostly positive too. Thanks for useful reminder.

So guys, i found a 2003 XK8 with 90k miles, 4.2L coupe for.....wait for it....$4000. And the first thing that came to mind was, this cannot be good, in orger words, the deal is too good for the car to be good. Plus, the dealership is in Florida, 922 miles away from me. I have made an appointment to go see the car and test drive but i am fully aware this might be a gamble. Already i found something on the grills that doesn’t sit right with me. Will post a picture soon. What do you think.

Once again, thank you all for these helpful tips and contributions. Still taking notes.

Old 02-07-2018, 01:35 PM
Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts
Default No half measures

Originally Posted by lcsighte
Hello everyone, i am a prospective XKseries owner. I am in the market for a coupe model not beyond 2005 at most, as anything beyond that year model is not as good looking in my opinion (gotta love that classic look). I have missed some great deals on the XKR coupe which was my initial main target and it is getting even harder to find any at all. In the light of this, i am starting to give the XK8 coupe some thoughts. I understand it has less hp compared to the R version, do you think the difference is worth it? Are there specific year models better avoided? Is there any difference in the cost of maintenance/ownership? I don't see any significant feature that are unique to the XKR, nothing except for the Horsepower (True?). Does the 290hp in the XK8 feel like enough power or is it a boring ride? lacking? I realize they are both rare in coupe, the XKR more so. And finally as i am looking for a stock car, are there certain signs of originality to look for? I am sorry if these are too many questions all at once, any contribution will be genuinely appreciated. I am hoping to learn from your wealth experiences and become a bonafide member of this community. Thank you.
All good questions. I drove XK8 and was not impressed with response. I drove XKR and bought it on the spot. I do not drive it hard, but enjoy the added HP and especially immediate torque of the supercharged version over the normal. In fact, i now have two XKRs, a convertible (2001 w/18" wheels) and 2006 coupe with the full handling package (20" wheels, bigger brakes etc). Apart from enhanced driving experience of 100 more HP and immediate torque, the R is more unique and potentially a better long-term bet on the collector market than the XK. (I should live so long.) I have spoken with many owners of XJRs (same motor) and a few XKRs, and no one reported any reliability issues unique to the supercharged engine.

Things to look for--popular hot rod mod for the R is to change the relative pulley sizes on the supercharger to boost the boost. No apparent ill effects, but it is a mod and potentially increases stress on the motor. If the owner has done that, may be indicative of owner's enhanced "need for speed." The other mod which i saw when i was looking has nothing to do with engine. I saw a few with aftermarket stereos and woofer boxes in the trunk. That was a "pass" for me. The mod is pretty obvious. Good luck on your search.
2006:

Old 02-07-2018, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,399 Likes on 2,871 Posts

Being able to obtain a complete service history with supporting documentation is crucial. That will greatly lessen your chances of purchasing a pig in a poke (as we say here in the Southeast)....

Also, if you cannot DIY the majority of the maintenance and repairs that these cars routinely require, prepare for some major hits to your checkbook....

The following 2 users liked this post by Jon89:
JRabbit (02-12-2018), zray (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jon89
Being able to obtain a complete service history with supporting documentation is crucial. That will greatly lessen your chances of purchasing a pig in a poke (as we say here in the Southeast)....

Also, if you cannot DIY the majority of the maintenance and repairs that these cars routinely require, prepare for some major hits to your checkbook....
when I was looking for a car, I didn't focus so much on XKR vs. XK8 etc. but rather on finding the best car for my budget. Truthfully, I was looking at other Jaguar models, as well as other makes. What makes one car a persons "best" will certainly vary from person to person. But you'll know it when you see it.

As Jon89 points out, For a used car the maintenance and repair records have got to encompass the known flaws of that particular car., or you MUST include them in your overall budget. You can google know flaws of such and such car and come up a pretty good list of repairs that you will hope have already been done before the car gets to you. After you have a rough idea what the flaws are supposed to be, it's wise to talk to a service professional who's well versed in that particular make. Hearing first hand from someone who's actually had to repair these cars does wonders for bringing the buyer back down to earth.

z

The following users liked this post:
lcsighte (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 02:12 PM
Received 243 Likes on 146 Posts

JRabbit, there are problems associated with the supercharged cars and cold weather. It has to do with condensation developing and it freezing inside the engine, creating a hydrolocking condition. It is very rare, but something to note none-the-less if plans are to regularly drive in an extreme cold climate with an R model.

Here is a thread on it in the x350 forum (4.2 supercharged):

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...engine-110573/

Here is a thread in the x200 forum:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...erally-173975/

To date I have not heard of this happening to an x100, but I would imagine it is because most only fair weather drive them.

This was a big deciding factor for me in choosing the NA 4.2, as I live in a cold climate (I currently own 3 Jaguars, all with the NA 4.2/6 speed ZF). I wouldn’t let it steer you away from an R though, especially if it won’t be driven in freezing temps.

As brought up earlier in the thread, as to the VVT in the NA, most of the problems I have gathered on here are from them tapping upon start up, which is not known to cause premature wear, it can just be mildly annoying. I have one Jaguar that does it, the other two do not.

Old 02-07-2018, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by chillyphilly
JRabbit, there are problems associated with the supercharged cars and cold weather. It has to do with condensation developing and it freezing inside the engine, creating a hydrolocking condition. It is very rare, but something to note none-the-less if plans are to regularly drive in an extreme cold climate with an R model........."

To date I have not heard of this happening to an x100, but I would imagine it is because most only fair weather drive them.

This was a big deciding factor for me in choosing the NA 4.2, as I live in a cold climate (I currently own 3 Jaguars, all with the NA 4.2/6 speed ZF). I wouldn’t let it steer you away from an R though, especially if it won’t be driven in freezing temps. not.......".
very interesting . I do drive my newly acquired XKR in sub-freezing temperatures. It does help that it's a coupe in that regard. It was 5 degrees above zero F when I drove to Iowa to inspect and ultimately purchase the car about 2 months ago. I drove it back to Oklahoma that night, and the thermometer spent a few hours under the zero F mark during. the 7 hour 400 mile night drive. I did have the engine turned off several times . Once for meal stop, and a couple of times to get gas.

Since then its been my daily driver in temperatures down to 15 degrees F.

Im glad these freezing / hydrolocking anomalies are rare, but will report any such occurances that happen to my '02 XKR.

Z

PS. two of thecars previous owners live in cold winter states, Iowa as already mentioned, and before that, the car was in New Jersey. So far, no history of cold weather lock up.

Old 02-07-2018, 03:24 PM
Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Dear chilly, thanks for the link to some interesting threads. I sometimes feel like a mechanical hypochondriac when reading some of the threads on the forum. Not this time. Engine freeze would seem to be a very rare problem even in cold climes given the few number of complaints, but the inability to start the car in cold weather even once would be disappointing. In any event, I hope to keep my cats out of the cold.

Old 02-07-2018, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Jon89
You my friend have just hit a cruicial point. But unfortunately I don’t know the first thing about reaparing a jag or any car. I haven’t done any major repairs before. I can if i watch videos and stuff like that but i doubt i will find videos on every repair that needs to be done. So i think it is safe to say I understand what i am getting into. However, i am assuming that since the car will not be a daily driver- i have an Audi A7 for that- and will not be driven very often, it should not break frequently. Correct me if i am wrong.

Last edited by lcsighte; 02-07-2018 at 04:06 PM.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:36 PM
Received 4,331 Likes on 3,741 Posts

lcsighte - I think you may find there plenty of us here who hadn't done major repairs but with the help of this forum and its members, you can be successful. The stickies at the top of the XK8/R section have tons of DIY info including videos.

Download JTIS or the pdf of the repair manual.

Good luck in your search and once you find her, ask away when you need help - the folks here will guide you in the right direction

Old 02-07-2018, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by sklimii
lcsighte - I think you may find there plenty of us here who hadn't done major repairs but with the help of this forum and its members, you can be successful. The stickies at the top of the XK8/R section have tons of DIY info including videos.

Download JTIS or the pdf of the repair manual.

Good luck in your search and once you find her, ask away when you need help - the folks here will guide you in the right direction
sweet! Will check them out. Thanks.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:19 PM

This is the one i found in Florida. 2003, 90k miles, 4.2L going for $4000. Check out the second picture, are you seeing what i am seeing? The badge on the grill has no place there. I will be in Florida just to check it out, one more funny business like that grill, and i'm on the next flight home. Fingers crossed.

Old 02-08-2018, 12:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 654 Posts
Smile Icsighte: My Goodness Man!

For a new Guy, you have really shaken-up the Boys! Got'em all upset and talking bad to each other...You should buy what you want but you need to consider the future....

Currently, you can get a 2005-2006, which are the same identical car, for from about $12,000.00 to $20,000.00. The more miles it has the less it cost. Now, they have the new front Nose and Mesh Grill and really look super.....The last ones both 2005 or 2006 were made in the Spring of 2005 and they are identical. The XKR Coupe is the only one to consider as it will hold it's value much longer and will be the "Classic" of all the X-100's. Fewer made and best looking of all! Try to find one with 20" BBS Wheels as the Classic's will have to have them....Think "Value"!! and now is the time to find it and buy it....Take your time and watch the Internet sales sites......It will come along as you are looking for it!

"Good Luck Hunting!"

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 02-08-2018, 02:22 AM
Received 144 Likes on 92 Posts

This is the one i found in Florida. 2003, 90k miles, 4.2L going for $4000. Check out the second picture, are you seeing what i am seeing? The badge on the grill has no place there. I will be in Florida just to check it out, one more funny business like that grill, and i'm on the next flight home. Fingers crossed.
The badge on the grill is the part that bothers you? He personalized his car. One minute with a screwdriver will remove it and solve that 'problem' Here's the part of the description that would concern me greatly: "***MECHANIC SPECIAL NEEDS TLC***", especially since you said you don't know the first thing about car repair. Believe me, if it was an easy fix the used car dealer would have taken care of it. My advice: be sure the car is capable of being taken on a proper test drive and set up an appointment with someone knowledgeable about XK8's who can check it out before booking your flight down here. I think that car is bad news and you get what you pay for.

Here's
the listing.

Last edited by MediaBobNY; 02-08-2018 at 02:40 AM.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,514 Likes on 1,061 Posts

But unfortunately I don’t know the first thing about reparing a jag or any car.
Forum user dsd was kind enough to share his experience with us: cautionary-tale

Old 02-08-2018, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by fmertz
Forum user dsd was kind enough to share his experience with us: cautionary-tale
Thank you. That was quite insightful. Like someone already mentioned above, for a $4000 xk8, you get what you pay for. I will remain patient for the right car and when it does, i will do the needful in terms of professional and thorough inspections before purchasing. Once again, thank you.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 695 Likes on 490 Posts

Instead of flying down to Florida to look at that car, may I suggest hiring one of those outfits that inspect a car for you. I don't recall off hand the one I used but they looked at 7 cars all across the US for me.

The cost was about $150 a car. Much cheaper than going down and seeing it in person. There was one that I remember, a 2005 XKR. It ticked off all the boxes, looked perfect in the pictures and was low miles. The note on the report said, "may have been driven off a small cliff" and "suspension damage, frame damage, body damage, all unprofessionally repaired."

When I finally got a report I liked (95%) I flew down and fell in love. It took almost a year to find and it's not an R. But by that time I new what I was getting into and 5 glorious years later I'm still happy.

Good luck with the search. Buy with your head not with your heart.

Old 02-08-2018, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,274 Likes on 699 Posts

If you are seriously wanting this car I can go take a look at it for you. It is about 20 minutes from my house.

If you aren't interested then I might just buy it for that price if it is just the common issues I could fix myself.

The following users liked this post:
sklimii (02-08-2018)

Quick Reply: please advise: buy XKR or XK8?