XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 01:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help!

Recently I tried repairing the passenger seat module.The effort was unsuccessful. I ended up blowing both A/C and radio fuses.
I replaced the fuses and removed the seat module.Here is where the problem started.The same afternoon while driving a restricted performance light came on.The car seemed to be driving normal at that time.When I arrived home I ran a scan on the system,the results where codes po172,po175,po101,po1000 and no DTC. The next day while driving the car, upon acceleration the car sputtered badly along with a strong smell of gas.After driving for a while the restricted performance lite went of and the car seemed to be driving normal again! I am stumped as to why all the codes at once and whether the seat module short is related?

Old 10-31-2012, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Don't worry too much.
You'd probably upset the ECM and it had got in a bad state.
Just to be on the safe side do a 'hard reset' - take the ground terminal off the battery and touch it to the +ve terminal for 10 secs.
Be sure you have the radio codes before doing this and read the 'sticky' on 'things to do after disconnecting the battery'.
Let us know how you get on.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:40 PM
GGG
Received 16,865 Likes on 12,186 Posts

P1000 indicates the codes have been cleared fairly recently. P0101 is MAF sensor and P0172, P0175 that it's running rich on both banks.

All of which has no connection to your Seat Module. However, blowing both the A/C and the Radio fuses whilst repairing the Seat Module suggests this is not the full story................?

Graham

Old 10-31-2012, 03:09 PM

Thanks for the advice! before I do the "hard reset" where would I find the radio code?

Old 10-31-2012, 03:13 PM

When you wrote "sounds like this is not the full story" I am not sure what you might be suggesting.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:55 PM
GGG

Originally Posted by vettinrnd
When you wrote "sounds like this is not the full story" I am not sure what you might be suggesting.
The A/C and Radio fuse blowing should be unconnected with repairing the Seat Module.

I wondered whether this happened immediately when you reconnected the battery or happened subsequently and was therefore an additional but separate issue.

Graham

Old 10-31-2012, 07:08 PM
GGG

Thanks for the advice! before I do the "hard reset" where would I find the radio code?
All UK radios are coded. Elsewhere it's unusual, but not unknown to have a coded radio fitted.

Some US members have Radio Code Cards in their Vehicle Literature Packs but still don't need to enter a code after a battery disconnect.

If you do have a coded radio, there should be a Security Radio Code card like this in the Vehicle Literature:

Please help!-dsc_0158.jpg

The code is always a four numeric sequence.

Graham

Old 11-01-2012, 03:47 AM

Answering GGG I did not disconnect the battery while working on the module.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:49 AM

I did a hard reset this evening to no avail. Now asking for radio code that I do not have.

Old 11-01-2012, 04:31 AM
GGG

To summarise the situation as it stands now so I get this straight in my mind:

1. Seat Module - off the car (fix still required)
2. DTC's - cleared and not returned
3. A/C - working (after fuse replaced)
4. Radio - powered (after fuse replaced) but code locked

Although you'll see ads on the likes of eBay for radio decodes from the VIN, there have been a few reports of this not working.

The easiest and quickest solution is to ask your Jaguar Dealer for the code. They will require proof of ownership and may charge but many members have reported getting the code at zero cost.

Apart from this issue, that should only leave the Seat Module unresolved. What was the problem that prompted you to try a repair? The issue with these is usually a break in a track.

Graham

Old 11-01-2012, 05:39 PM

Well all the codes returned along with "restricted performance" however the car is running normal now, yesterday the car was sputtering badly! Now my radio has a "please wait" message on it since last night.I can not put a code in it even if I had one! As far as the seat, I put the drivers side module in the passenger side to test, it worked fine. It is the module no doubt. here is another question, should the car run the same with and without gas cap on?

Old 11-01-2012, 05:50 PM

One other thing after the hard reset my FOB will no longer lock/unlock car,any advice?

Old 11-01-2012, 06:39 PM
GGG

1. if the codes have returned, the MAF is still suspect.

2. if the radio code is not properly entered on three successive attempts the radio will display "please wait" and will not accept any entry until the radio has been left "on" for one hour. After one hour in the "on" position, the radio will accept three further attempts to enter the correct code.

3. repair of the Seat Module is discussed at length in this thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...+module+repair

See the links in post #72 of that thread for pics of broken track repairs.

4. the car will not run correctly with a faulty or removed fuel cap

Graham

Old 11-01-2012, 06:45 PM
GGG

One other thing after the hard reset my FOB will no longer lock/unlock car,any advice?
The security module is unaffected by a hard reset. This is deliberate to avoid a thief being able to clear the system with a hard reset.

If the fob no longer works, it may need new batteries, cleaning or reprogramming. Instructions for this are in the 'HOW TO' section at the top of the threads.

Graham

Old 11-01-2012, 11:55 PM

Thank you for the advice Graham!
Today I removed the gas cap while the XK8 was running and there was no change in idle what-so-ever and why would the jag be running normal today after running so awful the previous day without any repairs?
am I supposed to clear the codes after a hard reset?

Old 11-02-2012, 04:52 AM
GGG

You won't get an instantaneous deterioration in running by removing the cap - fortunately!

The MAF may have sent an out-of-range signal to the ECU the previous day setting the 'rich' codes and causing the poor running. Could be a one-off but if it continues to happen, the MAF may need cleaning. This needs to be done very carefully as it is easily damaged.

The various sensors involved in monitoring have an acceptable signal range rather than an absolute value. Many external factors can affect these signals such as fuel quality or operating temperature. These can cause an out-of-range signal and a DTC to be flagged. Some DTC's result in the engine being set into restricted performance and the driver is aware immediately.

After a hard reset, I connect my scantool and check for codes, recording and clearing any present.

Now your engine is running smoothly again, it's a good plan to check and clear any codes. You should then have only P1000 appearing (OnBoard tests not completed). Recheck occasionally and this will hopefully be replaced by P1111 when the tests have completed with no other codes stored or pending.

Graham

Old 11-02-2012, 08:56 AM

Thanks Graham, Its great to have someone knowledgeable to get advice from! .