XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help! Window wont move!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2021, 03:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Please help! Window wont move!

Hi all, I have a '97 xk8 and I have just taken her for a run out for the first time in a month. Earlier today I noticed that the window dropped when I opened the door to get in and then didn't move. I reset the windows and it began working, so I sat in the driver's seat operating the windows to check them and twice the window stopped working on the drivers side. I pressed the window switch up and down a few times and it began working. I have just popped to get some fuel and the same thing has happened again, only this time the window won't go back up. I've operated the switch open and closed a few times and the window dropped really slowly when I held the down button in, but no matter what I do the window won't go back up. I've disconnected the battery and removed the switch and put it back on. I can hear a loud click and what sounds like a solenoid operating coming from the door latch area. The window switch makes a similar sound as when I open the door. I just opened the door and held the inner door handle open for a second and the window dropped again slightly. The window is nearly completely down now and it's on the street, what can I do?

Old 02-03-2021, 08:10 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try disconnecting you battery again, making SURE that neither lead is connected to the battery Then touch the positve lead from the car to the negative lead from the car. Reconnect the battery and reset the windows. (power both windows dowm til you hear or feel the solonoid in the window motor click, then power both windows up, til you hear the solonoid again.

If this doesn't solve it, it may be your battery has drained a little because its been standing for a while. A lot of gremelins are due to the battery not being fully charged, even when there is enough power to start it.

The following users liked this post:
rsdmitch7 (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 03:46 AM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forums fallguy,

I agree with Braveheart that the battery is likely to be the cause of the problem.

There is an "autodrop" feature on the door glass to clear the sealing rubber when the door is opened. The glass should raise again when the door is closed. If it doesn't raise but continues to drop further with each successive door opening, this is usually the first indication of a partially discharged or failing battery.

A thermal cut-out in the window lift motors temporarily disconnects power if pressed continuously or too frequently. This is to prevent burn-out from a sticking window. Your attempts to raise the glass probably tripped this but it resets as it cools.

Graham

rsdmitch7 (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 04:14 AM

Thank you for your suggestions. I swapped the battery out for a new one but when I connected the new battery the drivers door window switch didn't do anything but the passenger window switch (on the drivers door side) started to make the drivers door click. Also I then had a warning message that the drivers door was open when it wasn't, and when I opened the drivers door the dash gave the warning that the passenger door was open! I've located the door control module and unplugged the connectors and checked for corrosion and opened the module to check for moisture, all looked ok. When I put the plug connectors back in, the door open warnings went back to normal and the drivers window switch began operating the correct door. But the drivers window issue is still there, I've also grounded the positive wire after disconnecting it from the battery. I'm thinking it's an issue with the door module.

Old 02-04-2021, 05:24 AM
GGG

You don't give a Location but your IP Address indicates the UK although the centre of the River Thames between the Houses of Parliament and the Imperial War Museum may not be entirely accurate.

1. has there been rainwater getting into the door? This can play havoc with the electrics.
2. have you reset the window travel limits?

You may have a Door Latch problem. The door glass movement is triggered by operation of the door handles. failuire of one or more of the microswitches in the latch is a regular issue. The latch is very expensive but fortunately the microswitches are available. A fiddly job to replace but fully described in the the forum "sticky":
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-videos-77768/

See video 4 - Door Latch Removal and Replacement

Note there is misinformation in the video about separating the operating links which can cause breakage but the correct procedure is fully covered in other threads.

Graham

rsdmitch7 (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 06:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,356 Likes on 2,849 Posts

Sounds like a flaky door latch microswitch. We are seeing this issue more commonly now as these XK8s/XKRs continue to age....

The following 2 users liked this post by Jon89:
cjd777 (02-04-2021), rsdmitch7 (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 07:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 925 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
You don't give a Location but your IP Address indicates the UK although the centre of the River Thames between the Houses of Parliament and the Imperial War Museum may not be entirely accurate...
The inevitable dampness at this location, however, might explain electrical issues...

The following 2 users liked this post by crbass:
cjd777 (02-04-2021), michaelh (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 02:37 PM

Yes the IP address is a little out, I live in Wales.
I ordered a replacement door module on Monday out of desperation, so I will try that and then move on to the door latch if that doesn't cure the problem.
I've not noticed any moisture inside the door, I have given the latch a good soaking of WD40.
I did try the window limit reset using the window buttons but this didn't help.
The window is fully down now, would the latch cause this? I can hear a loud click coming from the door module and a solenoid noise coming from the door latch area when I push the drivers door window up button, but no movement of the window.

GGG (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 02:42 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fallguy
Yes the IP address is a little out, I live in Wales.
I ordered a replacement door module on Monday out of desperation, so I will try that and then move on to the door latch if that doesn't cure the problem.
I've not noticed any moisture inside the door, I have given the latch a good soaking of WD40.
I did try the window limit reset using the window buttons but this didn't help.
The window is fully down now, would the latch cause this? I can hear a loud click coming from the door module and a solenoid noise coming from the door latch area when I push the drivers door window up button, but no movement of the window.
I'm also from Wales. (south Wales) Sorry my info didn't resolve the problem

Old 02-04-2021, 02:46 PM
GGG

It's sounding more and more like a failed microswitch.

However, in addition, could be the channels have come loose at the bottom and the glass isn't free to move:

Diagnosis first, spend second with a Jaguar or it soon starts to get expensive.

Graham