XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Poor man's bluetooth/handsfree

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 539 Likes on 402 Posts
Default Poor man's bluetooth/handsfree

I had been researching on and off about how to get streaming/handsfree capability in my 2005 XKR with the existing Alpine Premium system. As WhiteXKR can attest I am a total dummy when it comes to audio systems and the jargon but even the couple of audio stereo shops I went to basically said "fuggedaboutit"--at least I wanted to spend ridiculous amount of $ and kludge something together.

So recently I came across the ION bluetooth cassette adapter--I think others around different sections of the forum as well as other car forums have discovered the same thing.

Basically my simple assessment is that for $20 it accomplishes exactly what I wanted in a straightforward simple-minded way. I tested streaming Pandora from my Galaxy S6 and it the sound quality is much better than I would have guessed. I am sure an audiophile that listens in their car for hours would probably not be as happy but for my use it is fine. Also tested calling with the phone and it automatically switches from Pandora to phone use. The sound quality of the phone over the car speakers was great and the quality of the little microphone was also fine according to the person I called.

All in all this gizmo is brilliant for $20. For anyone looking for an inexpensive method to phone and stream over the audio, this more than serves the purpose.

Doug

The following 2 users liked this post by SeismicGuy:
GalaxyDriver (03-05-2016), Ungn (01-27-2016)
Old 01-23-2016, 09:01 PM
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

+1 I love mine

Old 01-24-2016, 04:32 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

This looks great, how does the microphone connect? I was looking for a easy way to use bluetooth for the phone, don't want a ticket.

Old 01-24-2016, 11:03 PM
Veteran Member

The itsy bitsy microphone is connected to the cassette (if you visit the ION website you can see pics). I had my doubts about this actually working but I left a message on my wife's voicemail and when we played it back it was as clear as if I was talking directly into the phone. Unless it was actually picking up my voice via the phone?

In any case the incoming sound over the car speakers and my outgoing voice both worked fine.

Doug

Old 01-25-2016, 07:53 AM
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

When you receive a phone call does it mute the music you are playing via bluetooth?

Old 01-25-2016, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member

I think it might depend on the phone. I have not tried receiving calls yet but when I was listening to Pandora and brought up the phone app and dialed, once I connected the "focus" over the car speakers changed from Pandora to the phone. Once I ended the phone call Pandora came back on. There was nothing I needed to do---it happened automatically.

But there is also a little push button on the ION microphone that also will physically answer an incoming call. This is how my old bluetooth ear piece used to work--there was a button to answer incoming calls. But, as I say, with the ION and the S6 this appears to work automatically.

Doug

The following users liked this post:
Computer Budda (01-27-2016)
Old 01-27-2016, 12:48 PM
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Well you inspired me. I had this working in a Miata which has since been sold.
Robot Check Robot Check

Works very well in the XK8. Plays music via bluetooth which is good since I found my 6 CD player cartridge was missing. Also will call answer cell phone and mute the music. Other end says there is a little echo but certainly a workable solution.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member

Hey Ken--my (limited) understanding is that what you had in the Miata was the other economical solution to bring older cars into the present. I think units like that transmit to an FM frequency and you pick up over the radio--yes? There are other gizmos that work via the cassette player but the downside is there most had wires hanging out. I think the ION is somewhat unique in there not being any need for external power and works without wires.

There are shortcomings such as not exactly primo audio quality (but it sounds very good to me) and also it needs periodic charging (internal battery is supposed to last 4 hours). But given that this costs not much more than a few Big Macs, I think it is worth it.

Doug

Old 01-27-2016, 09:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

Thanks for this tip!

My 16 year old will still want a BT radio eventually, but this may but that off for a year or until he goes off to college.

He can't live without the BT radios in my Mustang, Miata, Trans Am or in his ZR2 Blazer, but I can stop buying Radios for a while, at least.

Old 01-30-2016, 06:21 PM
Received 140 Likes on 103 Posts

Doug, after reading your post, I bought the ION Cassette Adapter on Ebay for, I think, about $6, including shipping. I am 100% delighted with it. I can listen to the music that's on my iPhone, make calls using Siri and answer them with a click of the microphone, which, yes, is incredibly sensitive, even though it's a couple of feet from my face. When I first inserted the adapter, my cassette player wanted to reject it. Oh well, I figured, that was $6 thrown away. But when I tried sliding it in again, it worked perfectly. For $6, it's all I need. Tip: the teeny tiny on/off switch is superfluous; upon insertion, the thing starts up automatically. If it's been off for more than 15 mins, you may need to reconnect it with your phone settings.

Old 01-30-2016, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member

$6 ?!?!?! The prices I am seeing on Ebay are in the $20 neighborhood which I consider an excellent deal for this device.

I assume at $6 is was someone selling a used one-great find!

Doug

Old 01-31-2016, 06:48 AM
Received 140 Likes on 103 Posts

Doug, Sorry, you are correct. I just checked and I actually paid $22. I was confusing it with what I paid for an LED flashlight I got on eBay about the same time. Yes, even $22 is a good price for something that delivers on its promise so well.

Old 02-01-2016, 03:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

I had purchased one of these 2 years or so ago, I'd found the dynamic range of the music wasn't as good as using a direct connected cassette. Hopefully the newer ones have upgraded the BT protocol and now get full bandwidth and freq response, sounds like it from above comments.

Old 02-06-2016, 07:14 AM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Works Perfect

Bought mine for $20.00 US on Amazon. It works perfectly as advertised. Followed Paul's instructions on installing a switch, worked perfect as well. I put the Radio Shack switch in the dash next to the Valet button. Nice install. $25.00 well spent!

Old 02-06-2016, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Spurlee
Bought mine for $20.00 US on Amazon. It works perfectly as advertised. Followed Paul's instructions on installing a switch, worked perfect as well. I put the Radio Shack switch in the dash next to the Valet button. Nice install. $25.00 well spent!
I missed the switch thing--what switch and why do you need it?

Doug

Old 02-06-2016, 03:28 PM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
I missed the switch thing--what switch and why do you need it?

Doug
Sorry, that was from another post regarding disabling the antenna motor so it won't rise when you use the Bluetooth feature.

Under the armrest, white connector with green wire/black tracer wire. Installing a switch in this circuit will, at your choice, disable the antenna motor. Radio Shack sells an automotive style toggle switch which creatively fits nicely in the unused screen next to the Valet button.

Now, if I want all 4 feet of antenna up I can have it. Or 3' or 2', etc. Or none at all.

Great thread here with pictures makes it foolproof. Search "antenna switch" for several options...

Old 02-06-2016, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks--that clears things up. Actually the antennae thing hasn't bothered me enough to install a switch but may consider doing some time.

Doug

Old 03-05-2016, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member

Just a quick update. As I probably mentioned the expense of going with a proper hard wire install of a new system or kludging together an upgrade of the existing system wasn't worth the huge expense considering the short drives that make up 90% of my time in the car. So I have rarely been using this gizmo.

However I did a longer drive yesterday and had the harshest critic along for the ride--my wife. She is the one that had been pushing me to get some hands-free phone capability in the first place. So on the ride she pressed me into doing some Pandora streaming--almost as a challenge expecting this to be a fail. So I put the cassette in, the bluetooth synced instantly, and nice Pandora music filled the cabin. She was astounded and quite impressed.

In fact my wife has a good friend with a 2002 Lexus SC that also does not have bluetooth built in and she was looking for a solution. My wife told her about the cassette and she will be buying one.

Seeing her reaction and admiration of this gizmo makes this pretty much the best $20 I ever spent on any vehicle.

Doug

The following users liked this post:
Ungn (03-05-2016)
Old 03-05-2016, 09:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

I order one today for $21/shipped. I found out the the cruise control in my new car works great, and with 3.08 gears, 80mph cruise speed and a 20 gallon gas tank, this XK8 will replace my Mustang for my 12 hour drives to visit friends/relatives - 6 hours of which have no real radio other than farm reports, but do have cell towers and I have unlimited data.

Thanks again for posting this info.