XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Poor Performance Warning

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 01:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JBzXJ40
Hi Sean, I just wanted to ask a question. You said in an earlier post that when you checked voltage at the battery at idle was 14.0v, and with accessories on went down to 12.5v, did you have the battery and alternator tested? It shouldn't be below 14.2v even with lights, wipers,ac on. I've seen many times where the positive cable coming off the alternator fails, causing charge problems, especially since you're in Texas. I'm from Houston myself, the heat takes it's toll on batteries among other things, even though it may just be the battery itself. Just wanted to point that out with your charging voltage, Jags are very sensitive to voltage drop. Just something else to keep an eye on.
Thanks, after installing the refurbished ECM I have rechecked the voltages and also checked them against my Tundra that is 2 years old, both have identical readings of 14.2V @ idle and 13.7V @ idle with everything on. My battery on the jag is new, if you didn't know, and the old one still has plenty of life so with the voltage readings I was getting before the ECM change out the old battery may have been OK given the voltage readings now.

Old 03-09-2016, 01:48 PM

Thanks Rich, I have a trickle charge option on my charger, which I will use when storing the car ....... the days are warm enough now so top down and hit the road ..... though I will be getting a new ride this year but haven't decided what that will be.

Old 08-30-2016, 02:54 PM

Update ....... all's well and my XK8 is still running great, though I haven't put that many miles on it since the ECM repair ..... thanks again to everyone who passed on their helpful suggestions and solutions.

Sean