XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Possible wheel bearing failure?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2022, 12:48 PM
Received 186 Likes on 135 Posts
Default Possible wheel bearing failure?

When I brake lightly at a junction and turn right there is a grinding noise from the front left wheel. It just passed it's MOT a couple of weeks ago and nothing was brought up then apart from the anti-roll bar drop links which where an advisory. I had them replaced just after the MOT. Does this sound like a wheel bearing gone bad? Doesn't always do it either mostly when I am braking. I don't have any real wobble at speed either. I am just more suprised it wasn't picked up on the MOT if it is a bearing.

Old 03-17-2022, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,350 Likes on 746 Posts

Check the rotors for any scarring from a brake pad worn out. It's a easy miss if they don't take the wheels off.
Oh, check both sides of the rotor.

The following users liked this post:
kstevusa (03-17-2022)
Old 03-17-2022, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,506 Likes on 1,055 Posts

Also, check the condition of the wheel well liner. Loose liner can contact the tire and emit a noise.

Turning under braking will put a load on that front sway bar, where the link was coincidentally replaced. I would double check that as well.

Old 03-18-2022, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by fmertz
Also, check the condition of the wheel well liner. Loose liner can contact the tire and emit a noise.

Turning under braking will put a load on that front sway bar, where the link was coincidentally replaced. I would double check that as well.
Will do thanks. They seem to be OK to me, are they mean to move if I pull and push on them a little inside the rubber? They don't make any noise I can hear but a car is much heavier. I got them myself from berkshirejagcomponents on Ebay. They where meant to be pretty good? Today I paid more attention and it seems to make a squeeke when going up and down pot holes at low speed more then at higher speeds but that may be because of wind noise at higher speeds. I have it booked in, in a couple of weeks time so I hope it lasts that long. The problem I have it's my car for work and I don't get any time off when garages are open so I have to wait until I get a Wednesday off which is at the end of the month now. If the sway bar links aren't tight enough do you think that will do this?

Edit: I got under the car a bit more to see if I could see anything out of the ordinary. Only thing I could see that looked wrong was not the anti-roll bar but the second bar closer to the front of the car, the bushing on the passenger side looks like it rubs against one of the lower suspention arms. I don't know what that bar is though, second anti-roll bar? Anyway the busshing is rubbing on the lower control arm where it mounts to the car. The rubber is supple though so I can't think it would be that noisey. When it is bright out I think I will check the bolts on the links to make sure they are tight, how tight should they be? I suppose it is also possible the sway bar link is faulty, I may need to see if I can replicate that noise though, will need to get some leverage on it though to see if I can make it make a noise I guess.

Last edited by Kuddlesworth; 03-18-2022 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-18-2022, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,810 Likes on 1,115 Posts

K, sorry I didn't recognize the 2nd bar description. But when reading your symptoms it reminded me of the time the anti sway bar bracket (open hood, look downwards by the headlight for the swaybar coming through the wheel well. Bracket is u shaped 2 bolts go straight down through Bracket into frame). The fact that you can move sway bar with your hand amplifies this possibly as the issue. Maybe give it a look.

John

Old 03-18-2022, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,390 Likes on 1,550 Posts

K -
by 'second bar' do you mean this (9) ?:

...it runs across the ali crossbeam between the two lower front control arms

Old 03-18-2022, 03:52 PM

At first I thought it was that one but it's not. I can't see where it connects but there is a bushing for the grey coloured bar, it looks just like an anti-roll bar so it's cylindrical but it's not the anti roll bar because that is black. The bar I am talking about runs in-front of the front wheels. I will get a photo of it tomorrow when it's light out.

Old 03-18-2022, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Johnken
K, sorry I didn't recognize the 2nd bar description. But when reading your symptoms it reminded me of the time the anti sway bar bracket (open hood, look downwards by the headlight for the swaybar coming through the wheel well. Bracket is u shaped 2 bolts go straight down through Bracket into frame). The fact that you can move sway bar with your hand amplifies this possibly as the issue. Maybe give it a look.

John
It's not easy to move but it does move, I figures that was normal, I will have a closer look in the morning.

Old 03-19-2022, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by Kuddlesworth
At first I thought it was that one but it's not. I can't see where it connects but there is a bushing for the grey coloured bar, it looks just like an anti-roll bar so it's cylindrical but it's not the anti roll bar because that is black. The bar I am talking about runs in-front of the front wheels. I will get a photo of it tomorrow when it's light out.

That is the bushing and the bar I can see on the front end of the car, it's touching the lower control arm but it doesn't seem to actually be rubbing.

Old 03-19-2022, 01:45 AM

When I am stationary and move the steering wheel to the right and left there is a lot of squeaks. Ball joint? It's hard to tell where it's coming from to be honest. I think it's most likely a bushing in the suspension somewhere, I don't think a bearing would squeak when stationary and turning the wheel. I figure that the anti-roll bar drop links being repalced put more pressure on something else causing that to wear fast. Lower shock bushing perhaps, I don't know. They are rather rusty.

Last edited by Kuddlesworth; 03-19-2022 at 01:51 AM.
Old 03-19-2022, 05:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,390 Likes on 1,550 Posts

Hi,
That is one of your A/C lines. It seems to be slightly in the wrong location? See posts 2 & 4 from PKWise in this thread:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...7/#post2454770

Last edited by michaelh; 03-19-2022 at 05:27 AM.
Old 03-19-2022, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by michaelh
Hi,
That is one of your A/C lines. It seems to be slightly in the wrong location? See posts 2 & 4 from PKWise in this thread:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...7/#post2454770
Cool thanks. It doesn't make any noise from there I don't think. I will have to wait for the mechanic to have a look at it on a lift to see what is the problem. I will update when it's sorted.

Old 04-02-2022, 12:11 PM

The noise stopped for a week but it's come back now. The tyre seems to be rubbing on the front wheel arch liner when the wheel is turned and the brake applied. I think it's probably a failed bushing or ball joint. I will get it looked at ASAP.