XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential 98 XKR purchase, advice please

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 09:45 AM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Potential 98 XKR purchase, advice please

Hi, after writing off my 2001 XK8 Coupe in November I have been looking for an XKR Convertible to replace it. I have found a 98 metallic black with cream leather example. It has 100K on the clock, on an original lump. Current owner has had her for 12 years, all usual stuff like tensioners, roof hydraulics, suspension bushes done.
My main concern is the old Nikasil issue. Would you say that, as the owner maintains it is not showing any symptoms associated with nikasil linked failure that it should be OK apart from normal wear and tear, for the foreseeable future, or should I steer clear anyway?. Any comments appreciated. Al

Old 04-18-2016, 10:05 AM
hm1
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan-the-ifa
Hi, after writing off my 2001 XK8 Coupe in November I have been looking for an XKR Convertible to replace it. I have found a 98 metallic black with cream leather example. It has 100K on the clock, on an original lump. Current owner has had her for 12 years, all usual stuff like tensioners, roof hydraulics, suspension bushes done.
My main concern is the old Nikasil issue. Would you say that, as the owner maintains it is not showing any symptoms associated with nikasil linked failure that it should be OK apart from normal wear and tear, for the foreseeable future, or should I steer clear anyway?. Any comments appreciated. Al
Never heard of a 1998 xkr...

Old 04-18-2016, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by hm1
Never heard of a 1998 xkr...
The US didn't get them until 2000, but the OPs location sounds like UK and they had them then.

Sounds like a decent car! Generally if the nikasil is good now, it probably will continue to be good. I own 2 nikasil cars and don't lose any sleep over it. Both oddly have 95k miles right now and both have issues now lol, but unrelated. A fuel injector crapped the bed on the XK, and the supercharger coupler is getting pretty noisy on the XJ. I'm popping the injector in tonight and the XK is fixed, and this weekend I'm rebuilding the SC on the XJ. Great hobby cars these are.

If it has even a SPOT of rust, there is a mound of it hidden, especially on the sills of these cars. The UK seems to have more rust issues than US cars (not any difference in car but the weather they exist in). If it has rust, I'd run away if I wasn't going to fix it myself and pay a firesale price.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:58 AM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 80sRule
The US didn't get them until 2000, but the OPs location sounds like UK and they had them then.

Sounds like a decent car! Generally if the nikasil is good now, it probably will continue to be good. I own 2 nikasil cars and don't lose any sleep over it. Both oddly have 95k miles right now and both have issues now lol, but unrelated. A fuel injector crapped the bed on the XK, and the supercharger coupler is getting pretty noisy on the XJ. I'm popping the injector in tonight and the XK is fixed, and this weekend I'm rebuilding the SC on the XJ. Great hobby cars these are.

If it has even a SPOT of rust, there is a mound of it hidden, especially on the sills of these cars. The UK seems to have more rust issues than US cars (not any difference in car but the weather they exist in). If it has rust, I'd run away if I wasn't going to fix it myself and pay a firesale price.
Brilliant, thanks for that. It does have a bubble on one wheel arch apart from that is good. Seems sound Allround so may take a punt. For circa £7900 not too much to lose versus the fun factor.