XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power antenna question

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 07:53 PM
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Power antenna question

So, I just traded in my Vanden Plas x308 over the weekend on a 2002 XKR with only 47,000 miles. One thing I noticed is that the antenna doesn't fully retract (sticks out about a good 8 inches). How difficult is it to replace the power antenna in the XKR?

Thanks!

Old 10-04-2016, 10:25 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Spray the antenna with WD40 and operate the antenna with your radio. After a few operations clean the residue spray it again and operate it a few more times. At times the antenna may need a little assistance when retracting and extending just do not over do it. If all is good clean the antenna and spray with a good silicone.

Old 10-05-2016, 04:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 885 Likes on 472 Posts

If Gus's method doesn't work the you may need to snap the mast at the top of the first segment, withdraw the toothed drive line, attach mole grips at the top of the first segment and hammer it up and out.

Old 10-05-2016, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts
Default Antenna mast replacement

I just replaced the mast on my '02 XK8 this afternoon. Figured 'how difficult could this be?'

Well, it turned out to very simple after I removed the motor assembly a couple times trying to get it right.

Notes:

Remove the mast ball nut. It is probably down so low in the rubber grommet that you cannot get a wrench on it. There is a flange at the bottom of the mast to keep it from being removed without the nut off. You really do not want to grip it with pliers and drive it out.

Access the bolts that hold the motor assembly in slotted holes and loosen them. That should allow the entire assembly to be raised enough to allow access to the nut's wrench flats. If not, the bolts will need to be removed to allow the assembly to be raised a little more.

Once the ball nut is off have an assistant turn the radio on to extend the antenna as you pull the mast and the toothed nylon drive out. This is nearly impossible to do alone. It should just come completely out. Paper towels would be nice to have handy as it is going to be a greasy mess. Do not turn the radio off. Note the direction of the teeth on the drive which should be toward the side of the car.

If the end of the toothed nylon shows signs of having been broken you are going to have to remove the drive assembly and remove the broken off piece. Not difficult, just a little upside down and backward work. If the teeth appear stripped but the nylon gear not broken it should come all the way out without a problem. Insert the new mast and drive into the motor assembly with the teeth aligned as above. Have your able assistant turn the radio off as you feed the drive and shaft into the motor assembly.

The drive motor control operates on a timed basis and really doesn't care where the antenna is. Operate it up and down and everyone should be happy.

Reattach the ball nut over the mast onto the motor assembly. Adjust the height of the ball nut into the rubber grommet so as to prevent water intrusion. Tighten or replace the bolts attaching the motor assembly.

That was easy, wasn't it.

Last edited by test point; 10-06-2016 at 10:18 AM.
Old 10-05-2016, 05:51 PM
Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

The stock Hirschmann antennas are very well built. Having replaced hundreds of these masts in my car stereo shop, some times the large/last bottom segment will be corroded in place. I have used needle nosed pliers to grip just under the top tip, then use a small hammer and hit the pliers from the bottom to remove the mast. Also compare the length of the old mast's cable with the new one, if the new one is longer, you will have to remove the complete antenna and disassemble the cable coil area and remove the piece that broke off inside the cover. Not hard to do. Five minute job. You might want to regrease the cable coil area with some white lithium grease while you are there. Also, I do not recommend WD40. It is a kerosene based lube and dries things out. Use some PB Blaster or another very light penetrating oil.

Old 10-05-2016, 06:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by willtoliv
I have used needle nosed pliers to grip just under the top tip, then use a small hammer and hit the pliers from the bottom to remove the mast.
I assume that you mean after you have removed the ball nut to overcome the corrosion and not to drive the flange at the bottom of the mast through the ball nut.

Old 10-05-2016, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 221 Posts

Although having plenty on grease on the toothed nylon feeder is definitely a good idea, I always felt that lubing the antenna mast itself just attracts the accumulation of dust and grit. I believe it's widely recommended to just clean the mast every so often with mineral spirits. After some winter driving my antenna may get a little balky retracting those those last couple of inches, but otherwise it extends and retracts quite nicely.

Old 10-06-2016, 12:10 PM
Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Test Point, yes it is easier with the ball nut off. When you buy a new Hirschmann antenna it comes with a little foil packet of their "recommended" lube. It is very light oil. Running a "dry" mast is not so good as it puts undue stress on the mechanism. Use a lube and wipe the mast clean, often. Hmmm...that last sentence sounds a little strange. Good general advice .