XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powerflex questions for the powerflex dudes

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 11:35 PM
Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Powerflex questions for the powerflex dudes

Hey guys! Long time no see, hope you guys are doing well and taking care of the cats. I'm about to throw some 20's, Adamesh springs, Adamesh 1&2 exhaust kit and powerflex bushes on her. It is going to be epic. I'll make sure to include pictures when it is all done.

Does anyone know if the front sway bar bushings from powerflex are OK to use on an 'R performance setup? I know they look real similar, but I want to make sure. I've already put a set of MXD2102AA bushings on it, so I could live without it. But, if the 'R performance has a different size, I may be in trouble if I get the powerflex. That is definitely the case with the rear sway bar bushings for my car - that rear bar is way smaller, so the powerflex's wont work for that. I'm assuming that R and non R front sway bar bushings just differ in how hard they are and all that.

Now for the big question. #7 and #9 for the rear powerflex - what that heck are those for? The Monostrut and rear subframe assembly? Or are they for the control arms? We are not going to drop that subframe to get at the subframe bushings and the monostrut bushings. If it is for the rear control arm bushings, I guess we should probably do that. We already had to drop the whole thing to put a diff in it, so that got old quick. Not going to put Tom through that again.

On a side note, I'm sure some of you know how confusing getting parts for the 'R Performance cars can be. After trustin Bilstein's catalog, I don't think I got the right front CATS R shocks. Supposedly, 20-250256 is the superceded part for both regular XKR CATS and R CATS. I'm not buying it, so I might get the R shocks from Adamesh and will have a set of CATS front shocks that have a year on them. Roads in Charleston suck but, I think they have plenty of life left to them. Let me know if anyone needs em cheap lol.

Thanks for your time everyone!

Last edited by p-Rock; 03-04-2017 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Forgot about the exhaust kit! The best part of all of this
Old 03-05-2017, 07:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,107 Likes on 764 Posts

The front sway bar for the R package has a different part number, so probably is a slightly different size. I think I read somewhere that this was the case, both front and rear were different sizes.

Bushing 7 is for the subframe, and 9 is for what they call the differential strut. You can't get to either of these without dropping the subframe.

Seems like there are still a few of the shocks floating around at dealers, might be worth checking into that before paying shipping from Europe.

The following users liked this post:
p-Rock (03-05-2017)
Old 03-05-2017, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by ccfulton
The front sway bar for the R package has a different part number, so probably is a slightly different size. I think I read somewhere that this was the case, both front and rear were different sizes.

Bushing 7 is for the subframe, and 9 is for what they call the differential strut. You can't get to either of these without dropping the subframe.

Seems like there are still a few of the shocks floating around at dealers, might be worth checking into that before paying shipping from Europe.
Excellent, thanks for clearing that up for me. Yeah, the whole shock thing is driving me nuts. I screwed up and put the old ones that came off my car in a pile of rubble that got tossed at the shop. Big screw up considering that bilstein repair service. We live and we learn.

Old 03-05-2017, 01:43 PM

BTW, do you know of a poly rear bushing kit for these things? Motorcars sells a kit but....man after looking at the failed front shocks blowing up black goo everywhere, I'm not sure thats a good idea getting it from them.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,107 Likes on 764 Posts

For the shocks and control arms, no, I don't have any experience. When I redid the rear suspension for my own car, I got all the available powerflex bushes and new OEM for the balance of the parts.

Old 03-05-2017, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by ccfulton
For the shocks and control arms, no, I don't have any experience. When I redid the rear suspension for my own car, I got all the available powerflex bushes and new OEM for the balance of the parts.
I'm going the same route as far as the rear upper shock bushings/isolators go. It is clear that the black dog bushings for the front upper shock bushings are no longer listed both as Motorcars and British parts - however, they are still listing the rear upper bushings:

https://www.britishparts.com/home.php?cat=100841

Even though the rear bushings probably don't take nearly as a beating as the fronts do, I just don't think it is worth it. It looks like some of our fellow members dealt with an explosion from those front shock bushings. Crazy... KYB provides the rear isolaters and the shock bushings themselves are OES. So I will just go with that as you did. Thanks for your input!