XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

price to fix my car seems too high...might sell it but what is it/my Wheels worth?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 04:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default price to fix my car seems too high...might sell it but what is it/my Wheels worth?

hey,
so i've gone back and forth on this car...repair it...part it....sell it whole...swap in a 350....

thus far i've come up with... swapping a 350 would cost to much (my guess is about 4500 not counting any labor), swapping motors would be around 2k (plus fixing the left fender, left headlight, dent under the RR, and programming/key), and i'm not sure i want to invest that much more into an already negative project.

my question is, if you guys were in my situation what would you think a reasonable price for the car complete is?

and secondly the jaguar dealer told me the wheels were worth "a lot" but he wouldn't put a number.... are the wheels something special or just bleh? and what might they be worth? (20", "bbs" is all it says on them)

i can pretty well price out all the other parts if i were to part it out (based on ebay figures) but i couldn't find much on the wheels.

thanks for the input guys. p.s. it has around 168k miles.

Attached Thumbnails price to fix my car seems too high...might sell it but what is it/my Wheels worth?-dsc01193-optimized.jpg   price to fix my car seems too high...might sell it but what is it/my Wheels worth?-dsc01196.jpg   price to fix my car seems too high...might sell it but what is it/my Wheels worth?-dsc01197-optimized.jpg   price to fix my car seems too high...might sell it but what is it/my Wheels worth?-dsc01199-optimized.jpg  
Old 12-06-2012, 05:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would definitely be interested in buying your wheels, if you opt to go the "parting out" route. I don't know where you are, but as you probably imagine, the shipping cost is a fairly big issue with wheels & certainly with wheels & tires.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:23 PM
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 99xk8
hey,
so i've gone back and forth on this car...repair it...part it....sell it whole...swap in a 350....

thus far i've come up with... swapping a 350 would cost to much (my guess is about 4500 not counting any labor), swapping motors would be around 2k (plus fixing the left fender, left headlight, dent under the RR, and programming/key), and i'm not sure i want to invest that much more into an already negative project.

my question is, if you guys were in my situation what would you think a reasonable price for the car complete is?

and secondly the jaguar dealer told me the wheels were worth "a lot" but he wouldn't put a number.... are the wheels something special or just bleh? and what might they be worth? (20", "bbs" is all it says on them)

i can pretty well price out all the other parts if i were to part it out (based on ebay figures) but i couldn't find much on the wheels.

thanks for the input guys. p.s. it has around 168k miles.
I have priced complete low mile (under 100K) used engines on ebay for less than 3,000,00. That may be worth a look at. also, a used fender isn't that costly either. Prep it and have it painted.

Just a thought. The LS1 chevy engine swap is really cool, but it will cost a ton of $$$$$$. You would need a trans as well for that and their re-worked ECM. plus alot of labor and time.

I have suggested what I would consider because it is more affordable, and you will have your Baby back again much faster. Most used engines have a year warranty on them so take some time and do your home work, you may find you can save her for the scrap yard for less than yoou thought possible. Don't give up just yet.

Best of luck.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:01 PM
Received 112 Likes on 56 Posts

The wheels are worth about 1.5-2k depending on condition (especially the chrome trim rings). You have the nice silver ones, not the bronze colored ones, which is a plus. You might get a higher end of the spectrum if your tires have some tread left on them.

I noticed an XKR grille, you could get at least a hundred for that.

As is that thing is worth maybe 3k. If you fix it, then I don't see it being worth more than 6k given the high mileage, but the wheels are a plus. I think an LS1 swap would be cool, though, if you'd be happy keeping the car for at least 5 years+

Last edited by pomosv; 12-06-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:08 PM

brianl99: sorry this wasn't mean't as a sales ad in an any way, just trying to figure out values but i'll let you know if i decide to part it. (though i'm not really wanting to ship anything beyond the size of a "large" flat rate usps box if i were to part it)

bigvettefreak: that was what i was referencing when i said "swapping motors would be around 2k" i found a couple motors for about 2k with shipping. but realistically you don't know what you're getting with a used motor and the warranty's are a joke (sure they'll refund you, just pull the motor back out and ship it back...and if they determine it wasn't your fault...you might get a refund) i used to work at a junkyard...i know all the shady crap they do. so i get the motor to me for 2k, i'd be stupid not to do the timing components since they're prone to going boom...thats another few hundred... add in the body repairs and headlight, i'm at probably 3500-4000 for repairs (plus what i paid for the car) which simply said, would be well over what it would be worth.

pomosv: thank you.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:23 PM
Received 448 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by pomosv
The wheels are worth about 1.5-2k depending on condition (especially the chrome trim rings). You have the nice silver ones, not the bronze colored ones, which is a plus. You might get a higher end of the spectrum if your tires have some tread left on them.
20" wheels get bent very easily. I would make sure they are true BEFORE you sell them. I would say you have about a 25% chance of all of the wheels being true. You will have a lot of trouble with your buyer if they are bent, especially if you ship them across the country. Just sayin'............
Vector

Old 12-06-2012, 07:28 PM

i will check them out closely, upon a quick inspection they look to be in excellent shape.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:34 PM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I honestly don;t see you getting $3k out of it. Any buyer will be quickly doing the same math in his head that you've already done.

I think you could get a buyer at $1800-ish. You could easily make more than that by parting it out.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:58 PM
Received 448 Likes on 333 Posts

i will check them out closely, upon a quick inspection they look to be in excellent shape.
You can't tell unless you spin them on a good balance machine, operated by a good technician, without the tires mounted. Like I said, odds are very low that you don't have at least on "bent" rim, unless the car never hit a pothole or other road hazard.
Vector

Old 12-06-2012, 08:29 PM
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

brianl99: sorry this wasn't mean't as a sales ad in an any way, just trying to figure out values but i'll let you know if i decide to part it. (though i'm not really wanting to ship anything beyond the size of a "large" flat rate usps box if i were to part it)

bigvettefreak: that was what i was referencing when i said "swapping motors would be around 2k" i found a couple motors for about 2k with shipping. but realistically you don't know what you're getting with a used motor and the warranty's are a joke (sure they'll refund you, just pull the motor back out and ship it back...and if they determine it wasn't your fault...you might get a refund) i used to work at a junkyard...i know all the shady crap they do. so i get the motor to me for 2k, i'd be stupid not to do the timing components since they're prone to going boom...thats another few hundred... add in the body repairs and headlight, i'm at probably 3500-4000 for repairs (plus what i paid for the car) which simply said, would be well over what it would be worth.

pomosv: thank you.
What you bought the car for is not part of the question, you drove it and enjoyed it, so you have gotten value for for your money. Where would you be able to buy another XK8 for 3-4 K? Once you get it running, a light is under 500. shipped, the fender around 200. shipped and once you prep it & get some paint on it and then put it on your self. saving $$$$$ on body shop labor. I have bought used engines in the past but I knew who I was buying it from and have never had a problem. I know it is a scary situation. Try to find someone near you and go look at the engine first hand. The last engine I bought they started it had it running for me before I bought it, maybe you can do the same. I just hate to see such a nice car go to pieces instead of being driven and enjoyed.

As far as the timing chain stuff, Even if you buy another car, you should still check it unless you have a service history that tells you it has been taken care of.

I am really sorry that you have to go through this, I would hate to lose my car. I wish you the best in what ever you decide.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:10 PM
Received 112 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Vector
You can't tell unless you spin them on a good balance machine...
I second this. I purchased my rims on ebay, one of which I knew was bent, but another turned out to be bent also. Though I agree with Vector, I wouldn't say you can't sell them unless you know they're true, just a question of disclosing the unknown and pricing correctly.

Selling the wheels in flawless condition, with no chips or curb rash, true, with flawless trim rings can fetch 2k. In an as-is condition, with some damage, but still mountable, you can still expect at least $1k, more likely $1.2. I watched about a dozen auctions for 20'' BBS's on ebay before I got my deal, and they do get snatched up rather quickly at the mentioned price level. Good luck!

Old 12-06-2012, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Bigvettefreak
What you bought the car for is not part of the question, you drove it and enjoyed it, so you have gotten value for for your money. Where would you be able to buy another XK8 for 3-4 K? Once you get it running, a light is under 500. shipped, the fender around 200. shipped and once you prep it & get some paint on it and then put it on your self. saving $$$$$ on body shop labor. I have bought used engines in the past but I knew who I was buying it from and have never had a problem. I know it is a scary situation. Try to find someone near you and go look at the engine first hand. The last engine I bought they started it had it running for me before I bought it, maybe you can do the same. I just hate to see such a nice car go to pieces instead of being driven and enjoyed.

As far as the timing chain stuff, Even if you buy another car, you should still check it unless you have a service history that tells you it has been taken care of.

I am really sorry that you have to go through this, I would hate to lose my car. I wish you the best in what ever you decide.
uhm, unfortunately no...i haven't driven it, i bought it online from an impound yard based on their photo's.... they simply decided not to mention the motor being taken apart.

i threw the car up on craigslist for 3k (w/o the wheels) or 4500 with. it may sound to high, but...we'll see what happens. if i can get my money back and be done with it, that'd be OK. otherwise i will part it out or simply keep watching for a cheap motor.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 539 Likes on 402 Posts

I guess I missed the beginning of this story. Was the car okay and then you had an accident? Did the engine blow? Will insurance be paying for any of this?

Doug

Old 12-06-2012, 11:59 PM

bought it as it is...

Old 12-07-2012, 03:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My opinion probably doesn't count for much, because I've already said I might be interested in buying your wheels, but that said ... I think the #'s getting tossed around for the wheels are way out of whack. I've been watching eBay pretty closely for a set of XK8 wheels and have sourced them from a # of vendors.

If you can find someone willing to pay $1500 for them, please forward their name and contact information, I have a bridge they may be interested in buying.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:53 PM

i think you're just cheap. as i've posted them locally for 2000 and had 2 interested parties already.... and they're bringing 1300+ on ebay without tires.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:25 PM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Those wheels if i remember( i have 2 i made into garden hose holders ) where $1500-2000 each new. Barrels and rings are no longer avail from bbs. I paid $350 each for my much easier to find 01xkr wheels.
I got a letter from the hoa ****'s about my hose holder in front of the house. My letter back was "tell me who else has a $2000 hose reel?" they never responded again
a small bend is repairable easily. We have them done all the time without issue for $100-150 a wheel. If those rings get trashed from curbs. We have them removed and the alumnum underneath polished and clear coated. You cannot tell hardly at all and theyre easier to repair again in the future at that point

Old 12-07-2012, 03:38 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are the dampers active? Rear view mirror fully functional? If so those. Could be another $1000

Old 12-07-2012, 09:19 PM

dampers active? not sure what that one means. everything was functional aside from the engine when it came in said the jag dealer. (and the body damage was done by the tow yard i'm told)

Old 12-07-2012, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Brutal
Those wheels if i remember( i have 2 i made into garden hose holders ) where $1500-2000 each new. Barrels and rings are no longer avail from bbs. I paid $350 each for my much easier to find 01xkr wheels.
I got a letter from the hoa ****'s about my hose holder in front of the house. My letter back was "tell me who else has a $2000 hose reel?" they never responded again
a small bend is repairable easily. We have them done all the time without issue for $100-150 a wheel. If those rings get trashed from curbs. We have them removed and the alumnum underneath polished and clear coated. You cannot tell hardly at all and theyre easier to repair again in the future at that point
i looked them over today, 2 have a small scuff, and 1 has a small scuff (but a little larger than the other 2). really good shape...

Quick Reply: price to fix my car seems too high...might sell it but what is it/my Wheels worth?