XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Problems? Nope...I just consider them part of her charm.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 06:52 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Problems? Nope...I just consider them part of her charm.

I really admire all of those folks who are determined to fix everything and have the skills to do so.

Me? I have fixed most, but not all things, that have had become "broken" over her 165,000+ miles. In fact, some of the "broken" items I consider charming idiosyncrasies of my Jags and I haven chosen to leave them alone. To wit;

-The windshield wiper mystery wipe. I just smile and chastise myself for not leaving the switch on "off". After all I can twist the knob when it rains.

-I have learned that, in my case anyway. that the dreaded "Abs/traction control" message appears periodically (once a month?) and quickly goes away. I think of it as a the car saying "look at me". My response? When it goes out I pat the dashboard and say "good girl".

-The headrest jiggle. I think this relates to the headrest problem. Never really looked into it. When I drive without a passenger, the headrest makes a little jiggle noise. I hear it...but its just not that big a deal. Maybe because I have a coupe and it does not interfere with the convertible that fixing this juggle has never been a priority.

-Documents/stuff falling between the passenger bottom seat cushion and the seat back into the "back seat" floor. Geez a whole book could fall in that space. No solution there. Makes me keep the seat (and the car) clear of clutter.

-One of the temp control lights has gone out. I'll get to it when either the dash needs a repair elsewhere or the other light goes out.

Maybe I am lazy, maybe I want to just leave well enough alone (and not break more in the process of getting that last 3% fixed) but I like to think of her as a beautiful women who has the most charming faults. Makes her just that much better.

Yep my boat is a she...and so is the Jag. Too damned pretty not be.

Thanks for letting me gush...

Old 03-09-2012, 08:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 536 Likes on 415 Posts

I hear ya! I am kind of the **** type in some ways, but I live with the odd quirk as well.
Most of them fall in the category where I notice it when I'm driving then forget about later!

That being the case, they're obviously not important.....

Old 03-10-2012, 04:05 AM
GGG
Received 16,867 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Good gush - you'll live a lot longer than most of us fanatical fixers.

Graham

Old 03-10-2012, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Jag69
... -Documents/stuff falling between the passenger bottom seat cushion and the seat back into the "back seat" floor. Geez a whole book could fall in that space. No solution there. Makes me keep the seat (and the car) clear of clutter.

I think I've got a work-around for you on this one. There's a little flap thingy that hangs down from the bottom edge of the rear of the seat back (on my '01 anyway). If you bring the seat back forward, and then tuck that flap forward onto the seat cushion as you return the seat back "to its full upright and locked position" the flap sits there and blocks stuff from sliding off the seat cushion and disappearing onto the rear floor.

Low tech whenever possible!

The following users liked this post:
Jag69 (03-13-2012)
Old 03-13-2012, 05:52 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Smile

You are right we need to chill a little, some days you get a creak or rattle.Next time you drive it nothing! Happens a lot just need some patience.

Al

Old 03-13-2012, 07:05 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis07
I think I've got a work-around for you on this one. There's a little flap thingy that hangs down from the bottom edge of the rear of the seat back (on my '01 anyway). If you bring the seat back forward, and then tuck that flap forward onto the seat cushion as you return the seat back "to its full upright and locked position" the flap sits there and blocks stuff from sliding off the seat cushion and disappearing onto the rear floor.

Low tech whenever possible!
Dennis,

Well that was easy...reminds of when I could not find the very-well-concealed trunk key hole.

Right there in front on me the whole time...

"DOH!!"