XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Product Release: XKR & XJR Catalyst & Catless Downpipes

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 11:34 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We're hoping to get the car onto the dyno next week for some side by side evaluation to the factory catalysts. Our test car has had a series of maintenance issues that we've been working with the customer on (fuel pressure regulator, egr valve leaks, purge valve leaks). His replacement purge valve is on the way right now, so as soon as it's in and the fuel trims can be re-evaluated we'll have it on the dyno. I'll also grab the original dyno sheet so we can discuss it here.

Jason Griffith
Engineering Director
Nameless Performance, Inc.

Old 06-13-2010, 05:24 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi Jason,
Just wondering how numbers are stacking up for your initial run?
My major focus at present is on the sound of the exhaust as per the other threads on the forum.
You mention that the sound of these pipes is rather intoxicating.
Can you enlarge on this a little?
Would replacing the catalysts with yours actually improve the sound of the car?
As you can tell from the numbers of posts on the other threads, this is of huge interest to many owners.
Could you perhaps post some video with a good soundtrack?
This could be as bigger selling point as the dyno test that it seems that many are waiting for.
Cheers,
Phil

Old 06-16-2010, 10:02 PM
Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up 200 cell Cats

Well,

i am a bit late posting on this, but the test car Jason is working with is my xkr. i have a post ongoing in the XKR forum about my issues getting the dreaded P171 and P174 resolved.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=37237

I have it narrowed down now to the MAP and the EGR valve. which both are on order and will be in next week.

What i can tell you guys, is that the new 200 cell cats are awesome. The fit is perfect and the exhaust note is notably improved. I can also tell a seat of the pants difference with the new cats. but at the same time we are dealing with some Lean issues... so Dyno is a must not only for Jason and crew, but for me.. i wanna know what she does

I watched these guys do the work in there shop the entire time and i have to say its always a pleasure to watch artists work on something. I cannot recommend these guys more to people.

P.S
"intoxicating" is a really damn good word for the sound... i love it.. i believe a audio recording is in order soon.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:41 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi Dan,
What exhaust system are you running on your XKR please? I have the X-Pipes I, and absolutely love the sound as it is. I could live with a bit more bite, but I don't want to overdo it.
Thanks,
Brian

Old 06-17-2010, 04:45 AM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

That sounds promising thanks Brian.(sorry..that should read Dan- Black XKR!)
Jason, what progress for the order via the forum.
Do we deal direct or how do we go about registering interest?
Cheers,
Phil

Last edited by jagqueen; 06-17-2010 at 08:26 PM. Reason: quoting wrong poster
Old 06-25-2010, 08:19 AM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

How are things coming with the performance eval? I am definitely interested in this mod combined with new exhaust and making an intake too. But for this one I'd like to see numbers and no christmas tree lights on the dashboard. I think I'm in if we get the 10 people for discount, but not sure for more than $599.
I tried checking the website, but there was a server error or something preventing it from loading.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:32 PM
Former Sponsor
Default Quick Update...

We have ordered all of the parts necessary to build our first production run of these high flow catalyst downpipes and track pipes. We're starting our production build tonight!

That being said, here are a few new photos of the complete track pipes with the stainless waterjet cut brackets installed as well as photos of the new catalytic converters we will be using. They are a 3-Way, 200 Cell Metallic Substrate and the entire system is integrated into a single can, minimizing our welds and keeping the entire unit TIG welded instead of the MIG welded stubs that were on our prototype.

We're also shipping the first set of catless track pipes out this week to Steve (here on the forum) and we'll be funding his trips to the dyno to get a baseline and performance gains of the installed track pipes.

We haven't started any new developments on the XKR because we're still waiting with Dan, our customer, to receive to remedy the purge valve / egr issues that he had been having which were effecting our ability to do another dyno run to test gains on the high flow cats. He got the new purge valve in recently and it brought the fuel trims right back where they needed to be, which should certainly effect its ability to put power to the ground. The first time we dyno'd it, it pulled 2-3 hp over the baseline runs, which seemed particularly odd to us, especially Dan, who raved about how much faster it was. We're stoked to get it back on the dyno and get some numbers on the full track pipes from Steve in NY.

We'll keep you posted as the production build starts, going over the build process in detail on our blog. What we'd love to see is to sell all 10 sets and give everyone the 20% discount I'm counting every set we sell in the count and we'll have 4-5 people already as far as I can tell from emails I've received, assuming we can hit the $599 price point.

At this point we're considering just putting together a discount code on our website for the $599 price and when 10 sets are sold, it expires. We're also foregoing the brushed finish. The new 3 way catalysts we chose to avoid the mig welded stubs that were on our last set take up the majority of the pipe and the brushed finish doesn't make as much sense.

And of course, you probably want to see some video. Here it is - just some sound clips of the car idling, a few throttle blips, and a few pulls. I have more content and will get it on YouTube asap (and hopefully in higher quality - it was limiting me to 640x360 for some reason earlier today).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2TS2Yn9BcM

Talk to you all soon,

Jason Griffith
Engineering Director

Old 07-15-2010, 03:11 PM
Wink My car, and high flow cats

Brian
The X pipe was created at a local exhaust shop before i meet these fine fellows. below is a pic of the system i am using. Its mandrel bent, stainless with a X pipe, and its under the axle, with one diameter pipe all the way out. I think its 2 1/4 pipe. Jason can prob correct me if i am wrong.

Name:  2010-03-22193220.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  78.5 KB
Name:  2010-03-22193220.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  78.5 KB
Name:  2010-03-22193232.jpg
Views: 834
Size:  80.7 KB

jnporcello
The car is running a LOT better as you can tell from the video Jason posted. We shot that last night. Im still working on a few other little things to get it just right.. but im extremely happy with the results. As jason said, when we dyno'd it, it felt like it had way better power to me. i stood there looking a bit stupid when it barely made a damn bit more. Thats when we noticed it was running supper rich. In the past i had gotten the P0171 and P0175 codes. Which i cleaned the MAF and it would go away for quite some time. Well after the dyno telling me stuff was messed up, i started to look closer. We discovered bad Fuel Pressure Regulator, intake leeks "bellows cracks", bad EGR valve and gasket, MAP sensor gone nutty, and most recently i put in a new set of OEM plugs. All this has cost a mint, but I love the car so its worth it. Hopefully going to dyno it soon.

Jason,
you may want to change the video notes on the youtube, its mandrel not crush bent. no biggie, but wanted to let ya know.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2010-03-22193220.jpg (78.5 KB, 103 views)

Last edited by 2000blackxkr; 07-15-2010 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 07-15-2010, 06:11 PM

Hi Jason,
Glad that things are moving forward! I'm looking forward to seeing the Dynos, especially on Dan's 2000 XKR. Did the new 200 Cell Cats throw any Error Codes yet?
Thanks,
Brian

Hi Dan,
Thanks for the info and pictures, I appreciate them. Your XKR sounds great with the new Cats! Your X-Pipe Exhaust is probably very much like mine in it's sound. How much changed when the new cats were put on?
Thanks,
Brian

Old 07-15-2010, 09:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Brian,

I just talked to Dan to confirm, and he has had no catalyst related codes (a few others related to his other issues that he's been sorting out, but none of the typical catalyst below efficiency or catalyst slow warmup codes that are generally associated with higher flow and catalyst deletes).

Our goal is to get these for sale with or without dyno results. Dan's car seems to be running great but he's had some coil issues with misfires that he's still working on getting sorted. Hopefully we can get it onto the dyno soon to corroborate his butt-dyno results ;-).

I will note that when the first 10 units are gone, the 20% discount is also gone. We really want to get our products out into this market and that motivated us on the steep rate of discount, but it's not something we'll be able to do beyond the first run.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:42 PM
Wink cats

Brian,

My "Butt dyno", says much better" lol... :-)
In all seriousness, it feels like it pulls better in just about every gear.

The issue i am having now, is that when the weather is below 80 if runs like i am flying a rocket down the road. When its hot out, it is getting random misfires "P0300". I am thinking i have some coils going bad.. thats next up on the game of, Lets guess whats broken now!... i will keep ya informed

The tone of the exhaust got deeper and more aggressive. Sounds more like a Aston Martin then a Jag now.

Last edited by 2000blackxkr; 07-15-2010 at 10:31 PM. Reason: forgot a word... need a beer
Old 07-15-2010, 11:01 PM
Location: Marin County, CA, USA - Just north of San Francisco
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nameless
We have ordered all of the parts necessary to build our first production run of these high flow catalyst downpipes and track pipes. We're starting our production build tonight!

That being said, here are a few new photos of the complete track pipes with the stainless waterjet cut brackets installed as well as photos of the new catalytic converters we will be using. They are a 3-Way, 200 Cell Metallic Substrate and the entire system is integrated into a single can, minimizing our welds and keeping the entire unit TIG welded instead of the MIG welded stubs that were on our prototype.

We're also shipping the first set of catless track pipes out this week to Steve (here on the forum) and we'll be funding his trips to the dyno to get a baseline and performance gains of the installed track pipes.

We haven't started any new developments on the XKR because we're still waiting with Dan, our customer, to receive to remedy the purge valve / egr issues that he had been having which were effecting our ability to do another dyno run to test gains on the high flow cats. He got the new purge valve in recently and it brought the fuel trims right back where they needed to be, which should certainly effect its ability to put power to the ground. The first time we dyno'd it, it pulled 2-3 hp over the baseline runs, which seemed particularly odd to us, especially Dan, who raved about how much faster it was. We're stoked to get it back on the dyno and get some numbers on the full track pipes from Steve in NY.

We'll keep you posted as the production build starts, going over the build process in detail on our blog. What we'd love to see is to sell all 10 sets and give everyone the 20% discount I'm counting every set we sell in the count and we'll have 4-5 people already as far as I can tell from emails I've received, assuming we can hit the $599 price point.

At this point we're considering just putting together a discount code on our website for the $599 price and when 10 sets are sold, it expires. We're also foregoing the brushed finish. The new 3 way catalysts we chose to avoid the mig welded stubs that were on our last set take up the majority of the pipe and the brushed finish doesn't make as much sense.

And of course, you probably want to see some video. Here it is - just some sound clips of the car idling, a few throttle blips, and a few pulls. I have more content and will get it on YouTube asap (and hopefully in higher quality - it was limiting me to 640x360 for some reason earlier today).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2TS2Yn9BcM

Talk to you all soon,

Jason Griffith
Engineering Director
Thanks for the video - can you give us a sound recording from inside the cabin at road speed - say 60,70, & 80? This application sounds very loud to me. DaleD

Old 07-15-2010, 11:32 PM
Former Sponsor

We can get that. The exhaust that Dan has is pretty aggressive in general.

But at cruise it's pretty benign.

Jason

Old 07-18-2010, 11:28 PM
Miami XKR
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you have any sound clips with the cats on?

Old 08-04-2010, 09:25 AM
Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts

I received the downpipes from Jason over a week ago (excellent quality product by the way) and had to wait till yesterday for a base dyno.
In the mean time, I dropped the downpipes off at Swain Tech to get them ceramic coated, and will be installing them as soon as they're finished.
Then I'll get the downpipes dynoed ASAP after installing them.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 734
Size:  19.3 KB

Nice one...I think we're all waiting with bated breath to see how this goes
Big thumbs up for the quality too....excellent
If all goes according to plan I can see nameless ending up with more than a few orders in the bag

Old 08-09-2010, 01:06 PM

Well, I installed the downpipes on Saturday. They fit very well, as good as the stock cats.

I haven't driven the car much since installing them, but here are my first impressions.

Sound:
At idle, I didn't notice any increase in sound. At cruising, acceleration and WOT, it is slightly louder, not too much. I have the Macleod X-pipe II exhaust so it was already fairly louder than stock.

I don't have a well tuned butt-dyno at all, so can't really say the car felt significantly faster. Besides, I haven't driven it much with the downpipes and haven't done much thorough road testing, WOT etc.

I scheduled a dyno for the next available day, but the earliest date is Sept. 1st!! We'll have to wait a few weeks for dyno numbers.

So far, no check engine light. I did install the included O2 sensor spacers in the downstream sensors.

The downpipes did save 18 lbs. over the cats.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:35 PM
Default My jag

Well gents... I am quite annoyed with my car. It turns out, shortly after the video's of my car was taken, it blew out a bunch of white smoke out the tail pipe. We did all the proper testing and found out that my driver side inter-cooler was leaking. GRRR... i have orderd every thing i need to fix it... At least the explains the random miss fires.. i hope.

Owning a Jag is like being married to a beautifull woman. Lots of maintenance, constantly spending money on it, and always moody.. But when the mood is right.... Its amazing..

Old 08-13-2010, 03:12 PM

Hang in there Dan! When it's all said and done, you'll have a sweet ride and you'll forget about the cost and aggravation to get there.

I too, ordered the 200 Cell Cats, and they were shipped earlier today. I wouldn't mind a slightly more aggressive engine/exhaust sound, and like a good father, I want to provide every advantage to my prodigy. Jason was a pleasure to deal with, and I am both optimistic and excited about the new set-up.
Brian

Old 09-12-2010, 06:53 PM

Quick Reply: Product Release: XKR & XJR Catalyst & Catless Downpipes