XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Puddle of Power steering fluid and no power steering (obviously)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 10:09 AM
Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Puddle of Power steering fluid and no power steering (obviously)

Okay I'm not familiar with this issue, anyone seen this before?

Driving home last night I was about two turns from my house when the steering became super heavy. about 200 miles ago I had an idler pulley and some belts changed along with a regular oil/lube service. Once before a tech forgot to plug the electrical connection from the power steering control module back in after a regular service and it was the same feeling so I assumed that perhaps it was loose and I'd check it in the morning.

Well this morning I was greeted with a puddle of fluid near the right front wheel (about 8 inches in from the hub). I haven't been able to get it in the air yet but if anyone has seen this before please let me know what I am facing. Hose? rack? pump? Also would it be safe to drive to the closest capable shop (20 miles)? Your help is, as always, appreciated.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:56 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most likely a hose as I'm guessing the hoses run that side on US LHD models to the reservoir. If the rack was leaking I doubt you'd get a sudden large volume loss, just a slow leak. You may get a view from under the bonnet to check though you probably looked when checking the electrical connector. The hoses from Jaguar are pretty expensive but a hydraulic hose supplier may be able to supply you with hose and crimps to fit to the existing metal pipes especially if it is the low pressure side.

Regards
John

Old 01-14-2012, 11:00 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And no I wouldn't suggest driving that far as it could damage the pump with no lube in it. I can't recall if there's a belt just for the steering pump. If there is then you could in theory remove it and strengthen your biceps for the drive! Don't know how you'd stand regarding insurance though....

John

Old 01-14-2012, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

The car can be steered ... but you will kill the pump from lack of lubrication.

There is also a question of liability if you get into an accident because it was more difficult to steer. A lawyer would say you knew it and did it anyways.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:54 PM
Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Thanks, unfortunately it looks like the leak is coming from the rubber boot where the tie rod connects to the rack. O-rings or a new rack I guess. - Has anyone else had this fail?

Old 01-15-2012, 03:35 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

I've only read of a couple xk power steering racks needing replaced. Coventry (I think) is a member of the forum, and he helped out an owner awhile back with a refurbished rack. I was hoping it was from that hose near the right front wheel, where it connects to the metal piping. That is a low pressure line and brutal recommends a clamp fix for it, after I got a whole new front power steering cooling line. Sorry, if its leaking from the rack, I can't help you.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

Since the leak is from the rack, I suggest filling the reservoir and seeing if the leak runs steady. If not, you may make it to the shop. Otherwise, just get it towed in for the repair. As was said, driving without the power steering will trash the pump as it runs out of oil.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:29 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought my '97 in August with a power steering leak. Guy had the new BMW Vert in the garage and just wanted to be rid of the car. No test drive = low price. I got it for $4k.

I got it home and determined that it was the pump to steering rack line that was leaking. That line is in a mfing place and, coupled with the protecting cover, I could not see exactly where the leak was coming from. I replaced the line and that solved the problem.

Be forwarned: where the hose connects to the pump is in one of the most hard to connect places I have ever had to hook something up on a car. I was laying across the engine to get the right angle, was pushing the pipe with my middle finger while staring the nut with my index and thumb.

Hope this helps.

B