XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Pulling a bunch of codes!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2020, 09:23 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Pulling a bunch of codes!

Had not driven my 1999 XK8 in a long time (3 months) but I did have it on a trickle charger. I drove it without any issues but the wife drove it the other day and got Stability Control Fail on the instrument panel. I decided to pull the codes and got a bunch, but none related to stability control failure.

U1135 - Ignition status not obtained
U1041 - SCP vehicle speed signal invalid or missing
P20ee - No idea?
B2323 - Local mirror drive L/R out of range
B2326 - Local mirror drive up/down out of range
B2327 - Also related to mirror?
B2182 - Remote door window glass

I cleared some of these but others said they were not cleared? The car seems to drive fine and the Stability Control Fail message has not reappeared. I checked the battery voltage with my Fluke and got 12.5V

Any ideas?

Old 04-12-2020, 10:37 AM
Received 8,178 Likes on 4,934 Posts

A generic OBDII will not read CHASSIS codes. (ONLY ENGINE DTCs)

Sometimes a chassis or body code will be logged in the ECM but not always and not all of them.

Most common are the front link harnesses (C1145 or C1155) and the PUMP MOTOR (C1095)
Most people just pull the ABS module and resolder the power pins. Some just start throwing sensors or other parts at it hoping to get the fault resolved.

You could resolder the module and replace both front wheel speed link harnesses and hope it is fixed? (or you could actually read the module with dealer level diagnostics)

bob

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
teves_mk20_V8.pdf (54.2 KB, 42 views)
The following users liked this post:
OA5599 (01-03-2021)
Old 04-12-2020, 11:22 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by motorcarman
A generic OBDII will not read CHASSIS codes. (ONLY ENGINE DTCs)

Sometimes a chassis or body code will be logged in the ECM but not always and not all of them.

Most common are the front link harnesses (C1145 or C1155) and the PUMP MOTOR (C1095)
Most people just pull the ABS module and resolder the power pins. Some just start throwing sensors or other parts at it hoping to get the fault resolved.

You could resolder the module and replace both front wheel speed link harnesses and hope it is fixed? (or you could actually read the module with dealer level diagnostics)

bob
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the quick reply. My reader is specific to Land Rover and Jaguar. In fact, I bought it when I had the same error about a year ago. My code reader told me it was the drivers side wheel speed sensor cable and it was correct. Replaced that and I’ve been good for a year. That’s why it is strange that there was no code for the Stability Control....instead I get all those other codes.

Bill

Old 04-12-2020, 01:02 PM
Received 8,178 Likes on 4,934 Posts

Can you 'see' the ABS module on the CAN bus?

If the module has lost power or the network cable is faulty, then the other modules on the CAN bus will report ABS NO COMMUNICATION.

Look at INST PK, ECM, TCM and ABS, they are all on the CAN bus.(as well as the gearbox selector lever illumination module but that is READ ONLY)

bob

Old 11-28-2020, 05:15 PM
Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

I have a 1998 XK8 (X 100) 4.0 and when driving a few miles my dash will will flash with 1st a of messages "stability control fail" then flash with "traction control fail" and then reads transmission fault. If I stop and check my scanner, no codes are on the OBD II, so I hit the erase button and then start the car and it runs fine and doesn't display any warnings. After I put it in gear and drive it about 4 miles the same problem returns with displays that flash on instrument panel. It briefly displays stability control fail then traction control fail and stops on Transmission fault that stays on with the amber light illuminated. Transmission fault stays on solid for several minutes and then there is a beep and repeat with the stability control fail flashfollowed by traction control fail and stops again on the transmission fault message. When the warning displays are shown I have obvious reduced performance. I have checked all 4 wheel sensors and cleaned them and cog drive wheels for the sensors as recommended here on the forum but same problem. Does this meant I need to replace the ABS control module or the ABS pump or do I have a bad wheel bearing? I don't think my scanner reads chassis only engine codes. Any advice will be deeply appreciated! Don't know if this matters but I recently replaced the transmission filter and installed the trans go shift valve. Bould I have messed this up?

Old 12-16-2020, 02:49 PM

1998 XK8 4.0 litre problem! Checked all wheel bearings and all were good. Found that if I turn off the trac control on the console the problems I've been having go away. No transmission fail warning, no traction control fail and no stability control fail and no reduced engine performance mode.. It appears that I can drive as long as I want in this mode without the trac control activated. Also I've read on the forum that you can disconnect the ABS module and still drive the car, is that accurate? Makes me think it's either the ABS pump or ABS module that are bad. My OBD II reader only reads engine codes not chassis codes. I've seen on Ebay that a company will rebuild your ABS module for about $100.00 and I think I may use their services. Every time I start the car now I have to hit the trac control button (light come on in the switch signifying the trac control is off) because the default settings at startup switches the trac control on whenever you start the car. Does anyone know if the module is the source of my problem or am I running down another rabbit hole? Also if anyone has had their ABS module repaired successfully can you provide the name of your vendor. The cheapest repair is not always the best.

Old 12-31-2020, 08:41 AM

Codes returning, does anyone know a good mechanic with the proper diagnostic gear in the central Virginia area so I can take my car in for a definitive answer to the problem. The trial and error guess repairs are not working very well.

Old 12-31-2020, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 925 Likes on 456 Posts

ABS is a good guess, but you may want to find a scanner that can read the ABS codes. Many of us have fixed our own (all three of mine, for example), it's a fairly simple "cut into the case, solder, reseal the case with RTV" job. This thread gives you several options for removing the module:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ctures-139976/

This one has a tutorial on DIY:

Welcome to Jag-lovers - Members Photo Viewing Page