XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Putting Lexie back on the road...

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2024, 07:11 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Cool Putting Lexie back on the road...

OK sooo... Here goes:
If you read my intro you know that I bought this '99 XK8 with a trans that had "quit pulling". After having it flat-bedded home I took it for a test drive & the trans shifted & the car drove out fine, driving it back & forth a mile each way from my driveway trying out the J-gate & everything for a total of 7 1/2 miles, but it started bucking at full throttle on the last leg (ignoring that for now). Then two weeks later it got hit by lightning: lightning hit the corner of my building & ran through the ground 6' & burned two of the wheels (r.f. & l.r.) & blew a hole in the out trans line. So I named her Electra - Lexie for short. To my surprise it still ran well & I think everything still works. So I serviced the trans flushing about 15 quarts of fluid out of it, installed the Trans-Go pressure reduction valve, made a dipstick/fill tube, & ran a steel braided hose to replace the blown trans line. I also replaced the lower radiator hose (typical rubbing on the fan shroud) & the belt, replacing the idler pullies with the metal aftermarket ones. Humm.. already had the metal pullies, as well as the aluminum thermostat housing & apparently a (fairly) recent water pump. The engine is quiet so for now I'm assuming the timing chains have been replaced (147,000 miles on the car). So i took it for another test drive & after the first mile I got "restricted performance" & the car went into limp mode with only 4th gear & limited RPMs. Found out the little coolant hose had come off the freaken' PLASTIC clip at the rear of the right cyl. bank, so I did what Jag should have done in the first place & threw the plastic clip away & pushed the hose over the tubing & clamped it down. Filled up the coolant - it had green coolant in it so I'm using that, & after filling it I noticed a note next to the cap saying to use only ORANGE coolant..
So for now two questions: 1) is the green coolant ok, & 2) How do I get rid of the "restricted performance" code? I've tried a hard reset twice. I don't have a scan tool yet..
I'll add that I've been through the first 300 pages of this forum & read over 1,000 threads - THANKS everyone here for all the great information I've learned!
Oh & also the PO said the top was leaking fluid at the windshield so I haven't tried the top yet, but I did buy the fittings to block off the latch hoses to do a manual release (but haven't done that yet). I also have new shocks, Baxter urethane for the front mounts, urethane upper control arm bushings, & upper ball joints ready to install when the car is back drivable.
I just want to DRIVE this thing!
Thanks again everyone,
P.S. I'm missing some plastic pieces on the engine & the cap on the windshield washer, as well as the dome light assembly & the caps for the Sport mode & other button, but I'm broke so I'll deal with those later...

The following 2 users liked this post by Tha Driver:
michaelh (05-15-2024), Y2KJag (05-15-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 09:36 AM
Received 294 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Tha Driver

Ooh, a trans dipstick - lucky you!!

The following users liked this post:
michaelh (05-15-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,394 Likes on 1,553 Posts

Looking at the marks on the wheels, I'm amazed no electronic problems.

I also replaced the lower radiator hose (typical rubbing on the fan shroud)
It's posssible to fit that hose upside down, except the ends aren't identical and can cause what you found

Filled up the coolant - it had green coolant in it so I'm using that, & after filling it I noticed a note next to the cap saying to use only ORANGE coolant..So for now two questions: 1) is the green coolant ok, & 2) How do I get rid of the "restricted performance" code? I've tried a hard reset twice. I don't have a scan tool yet.
Jaguar changed from the green DOW coolant to MB spec just prior to MY2000 intro :

If it's green in there, then you can either stick with that or do a full flush and move to the newer spec. Note that the spec is more important (and a better guide) than the colour.
It's possible that the coolant reservoir has been replaced:- the superseding OEM units ship with the warning sticker.

You'll need to bite the bullet and buy a code reader. Even a cheap ELM327 clone (Amazon) to hook up with your mobile will read the generic P-codes.

Old 05-15-2024, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by michaelh
Looking at the marks on the wheels, I'm amazed no electronic problems.

It's posssible to fit that hose upside down, except the ends aren't identical and can cause what you found

Jaguar changed from the green DOW coolant to MB spec just prior to MY2000 intro :

If it's green in there, then you can either stick with that or do a full flush and move to the newer spec. Note that the spec is more important (and a better guide) than the colour.
It's possible that the coolant reservoir has been replaced:- the superseding OEM units ship with the warning sticker.

You'll need to bite the bullet and buy a code reader. Even a cheap ELM327 clone (Amazon) to hook up with your mobile will read the generic P-codes.
Yeah I fully expected for the electronics to be completely fried, turning the car into a parts car. I'm REALLY surprised!
I read several threads on the radiator hose being rubbed through, & that was the case (groove rubbed into the hose) for mine. I trimmed the protrusion off of the fan shroud & added a piece of rubber there to prevent damage to the new hose.
I'll stick with green coolant for now then. Once I've driven the car for a while I may change it out. Thanks for the info.
I have a couple friends that may have acess to a reader. I'll work on getting them to bring it by.
Thanks,

Old 05-15-2024, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by bladerunner919
Ooh, a trans dipstick - lucky you!!
Yeah I wasn't about to have to put the damn car on stands & check the hot fluid next to the exhaust pipe every time I wanted to check it. It's just STUPID of Jaguar not to have a dipstick.

Old 05-16-2024, 02:46 AM
Received 145 Likes on 82 Posts

Yeah I wasn't about to have to put the damn car on stands & check the hot fluid next to the exhaust pipe every time I wanted to check it. It's just STUPID of Jaguar not to have a dipstick.
Well, once you've fixed any leaks and filled it, there's rarely a need to check the level again until time to do a service. I still prefer dipsticks, but have learned to live without them. None of my BMWs have one, either.

Did that 90 degree bend cause any issues?

Old 05-16-2024, 05:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,394 Likes on 1,553 Posts

It's just STUPID of Jaguar not to have a dipstick.
...but Sir, it's sealed for life...

The following 2 users liked this post by michaelh:
Jag#4 (05-18-2024), RJ237 (05-16-2024)
Old 05-16-2024, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Y2KJag
Well, once you've fixed any leaks and filled it, there's rarely a need to check the level again until time to do a service. I still prefer dipsticks, but have learned to live without them. None of my BMWs have one, either.

Did that 90 degree bend cause any issues?
I'm 70 & "old skool" & I like to check all the fluids once in a while. The 90 degree is not a problem. Fluid seeks it's own level.

Old 05-16-2024, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by michaelh
...but Sir, it's sealed for life...

Right? LOL.

Old Today, 11:41 AM

Well since I don't have a code reader & the car is stuck in "restricted performance", it's been sitting for nearly three months. I have been starting it once in a while & letting it warm up.
But I was reading in another thread & the guy said to turn on the ignition switch when doing a hard reset. Is that right? Will that clear the restricted performance code?
Thanks,
Paul