XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Quarter Window Regulator Repair

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2022, 05:10 PM
Received 142 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Quarter Window Regulator Repair

Right side, second time this has happened since owning. First time had a service contract that paid to have the dealership R/R the regulator....this time....my turn.
Upon removal I found that the plastic spool had cracked which caused slack in the cables, which then caused the cables to come off of the pulleys.
Bent the two cables a bit in the process.
Saw on ebay several sellers of rebuild kits: spool, cables, cable connector box (have no idea what it is actually called).....cost was only $20...so I got one.
Took me some time to figure-out how the cables routed, how they came off the spool, etc. I also found rothwell's write-up and pictures which confirmed I had it correct.
I applied power to the motor and ran the glass up & down on the work bench several times...all seemed good.
Re-installed in car, again applied power to lower the glass down and the new cable connector box came apart. I got to take the regulator back out again and of course I had already tightened down the top pivot hinge bolts.
Spend about two hours on the workbench trying to get the new parts to work, but the lid or top to the cable connector box just would not stay on. Took a really good look at it and the lid would not go down all the way and snap/lock closed, so when the cables got tension in them, up came the lid, out came one cable end......start all over again.

Ended-up using the new spool, new cables, but old cable connector box. Got it back in the car and all is good now.
I had contacted the ebay seller about the connector box, sent them pictures of the problem. They replied saying they would contact their supplier and gave me a full refund...even though I used the spool and cables.

Sure hope the left side regulator holds-up...although it too has been replaced once since ownership....I really do not want to ever do this repair again. I did find my receipt from the last R/R...just under $1000 in 2015. Wonder how much this would be now??

Later