XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Quarter windows won’t go up

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2021, 09:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quarter windows won’t go up

I’m fixing up my dads 97 xk8 to help him sell it. I installed a new battery and the rear quarter windows went down and I can’t get them to go back up. The car hasn’t ran in several years and also won’t start (I think the lines are gummed up) but one problem at a time. Used the window switches and the convertible top switch but they won’t go back up. The top also doesn’t move. Checked all the fuses and they are fine. Is it likely that just the switch is bad or something more costly.

Old 11-19-2021, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by Jhninkin
I’m fixing up my dads 97 xk8 to help him sell it. I installed a new battery and the rear quarter windows went down and I can’t get them to go back up. The car hasn’t ran in several years and also won’t start (I think the lines are gummed up) but one problem at a time. Used the window switches and the convertible top switch but they won’t go back up. The top also doesn’t move. Checked all the fuses and they are fine. Is it likely that just the switch is bad or something more costly.
So, you were able to get it down/opened under its own power,,, or did you find it with the top down?

​​​​​​Look at the latch that pulls the top secure to the wind screen. Is it sticking up?

Have you been able to turn the petcock on the pump to it's manual setting - do you know whate that is and what I'm talking about?

Old 11-19-2021, 11:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JayJagJay
So, you were able to get it down/opened under its own power,,, or did you find it with the top down?

​​​​​​Look at the latch that pulls the top secure to the wind screen. Is it sticking up?

Have you been able to turn the petcock on the pump to it's manual setting - do you know whate that is and what I'm talking about?
No the top and all the windows were up. I did forget to mention that the windows initially went down when I tried to jump the car. Battery was dead so I replaced it and front windows work fine.

Aside from hitting the button for the top (cause I saw on YouTube it also operates the quarter windows) I have done nothing with the top. I don’t know yet what you’re talking about with the manual top yet but if that helps with the window problem I will find it and try it out.

Old 11-19-2021, 08:28 PM
Veteran Member

Ok, cool. This probably isn't as bad as it seems.

BUT - was the reason it was parked due to the TOP failing a long time ago, ya think? Try and find out... If not,,,,

Before disconnecting battery run down the drivers and passenger windows all the way. Just makes life easier.

- You're going to want to disconnect the battery.
- Get a 10mm (might be 8mm) Allen key (the kind for a socket) and a good ratchet with a nice long handle.
- Sitting in the driver's seat look at the top of the windshield where the top of the windshield frame meets the soft top. To the right of center you will see a small plastic plug. Pull it.
- Carefully insert 10mm key into that hole. Feel for the Allen slot and make sure the key is completely seated. COMPLETELY.
- Don't know if it's to the right or left but feel for movement. Don't go crazy on it,,, at the same time it will take a bit of force. Turn carefully and slowly. Turn until you see the top POP...

- Go to boot. On rear RH side pull carpet cover on the RH wall. Covers the stereo amp and maybe a CD player.
- Look at the pump and check fluid level. Check wiring and condition as best you can... alllllll around there.
- Turn the T handle you see in the photo. Feel for it. Turn it to OPENED. You'll know.

​​​​​​Believe it or not you can NOW grab the top in the front center,,, and with the petcock open you will be able to raise the top and push it into its open position pretty easily. Do it. Make sure you push it all the way down to it's final resting place.

- Return to the drivers seat and *CLOSE* the latch with the socket and Allen key. Make sure it's closed all the way.

- Back to the boot,,,. Return the petcock (circled below) to CLOSED, firmly.

Reconnect the battery. Car in P or N... Either start the car or turn the key to the RUN position. Try the button and report back what does,,, or doesn't happen.

Try the bottom in both P and N...

Anyone see my errors please fix'm...

​​​​​​

Old 11-20-2021, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member

Oh and,,, I'm a nutt job...

Check rear window and pump fuses, all that sort of thing first (if it's not tooooo late already)... Should have talked about that, first... I don't have and have always had a hard time finding fuse diagrams for these cars. Others here are really good at it and hopefully someone will throw that in here.

Good luck