XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Question about no start condition

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2023, 08:35 AM
Received 124 Likes on 96 Posts

Question for the brain trust. I have the timing tool. My issue is that both intake and exhaust cams are slightly retarded. I'm not sure how to fix that. The cam locking tool on the right side sides perfectly flush. The left side has both flats just slight retarded. I'm not sure how to advance both of them with the chain tensioned.

Old 07-18-2023, 12:14 PM
Received 96 Likes on 64 Posts

I first have to ask, how did you determine the crank position? Did you use the locking tool in the flex plate? I recall that crank position is where the valve springs have the least loads on the lobes. If the crank was rolled backwards to set the crank, you may have slack on the wrong side of the intake sprocket which would create a small deviation with the flats..

Looking back through this into the earlier thread, the timing chains and paraphernalia were replaced in 2015 and it ran fine until 2019 when it came out of storage. Unless you detect a sloppy long chain, the chances of cams losing timing of any significance is nil.

Old 07-18-2023, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by jrnsr
I first have to ask, how did you determine the crank position? Did you use the locking tool in the flex plate? I recall that crank position is where the valve springs have the least loads on the lobes. If the crank was rolled backwards to set the crank, you may have slack on the wrong side of the intake sprocket which would create a small deviation with the flats..

Looking back through this into the earlier thread, the timing chains and paraphernalia were replaced in 2015 and it ran fine until 2019 when it came out of storage. Unless you detect a sloppy long chain, the chances of cams losing timing of any significance is nil.

Yes, I used the cam locking tool in the flex plate. I didn't rotate the engine anti clockwise, only clockwise to line things up. I do realize that this probably has nothing to do with my original problem. Figured if it was possible to get everything lined up while I have the cam covers off, I would do that. I may just put the cam covers back on and continue the never ending journey of finding what is wrong.

Old 07-18-2023, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,391 Likes on 1,551 Posts

Is the exhaust cam actually mistimed or is it the edge of the flat on the inlet cam that's lifting your allen key clear?

If you can advance the inlet cam slightly against the vvt pressure. do the flats line up? Having suggested that it should be adressed, it might be just as well to leave it be as the motor isn't complaining about the slight misalignment, and you would avoid having to take the timing cover off & get the vvt unit out of the way to correct it.

Old 07-18-2023, 05:42 PM
Received 96 Likes on 64 Posts

I empathize. I drove our black '99 ragtop last year to dump it this spring as my wife prefers the blue '97 convertible. Listed it on Craigslist first of April and the convertible top goes haywire. Then have to replace both rear speakers. Coolant starts leaking seriously from the degenerated coupler on the passenger side. Oil smoke becomes conspicuous on drivers side from the firewall so off comes the rocker cover. More time is wasted trying to figure out the cause of my constant VVT error. After all that, it starts perfectly and then idles as if there's one bad cylinder. That's the engine I posted on Youtube idling balancing a nickle. It would have to throw a misfire code with an obvious engine shaking miss, right? No misfire code, only the ever present P1396 VVT reminder. Hours of detective work reveal no clue. Month of Craigslist runs out and it's time to license the '97. Hate parking the '99 with a nagging mystery haunting me.

Old 07-18-2023, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by jrnsr
I empathize. I drove our black '99 ragtop last year to dump it this spring as my wife prefers the blue '97 convertible. Listed it on Craigslist first of April and the convertible top goes haywire. Then have to replace both rear speakers. Coolant starts leaking seriously from the degenerated coupler on the passenger side. Oil smoke becomes conspicuous on drivers side from the firewall so off comes the rocker cover. More time is wasted trying to figure out the cause of my constant VVT error. After all that, it starts perfectly and then idles as if there's one bad cylinder. That's the engine I posted on Youtube idling balancing a nickle. It would have to throw a misfire code with an obvious engine shaking miss, right? No misfire code, only the ever present P1396 VVT reminder. Hours of detective work reveal no clue. Month of Craigslist runs out and it's time to license the '97. Hate parking the '99 with a nagging mystery haunting me.
This is what I call love, hate, love, hate, hate, hate, she sure is pretty, love relationship

Old 07-19-2023, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by michaelh
Is the exhaust cam actually mistimed or is it the edge of the flat on the inlet cam that's lifting your allen key clear?

If you can advance the inlet cam slightly against the vvt pressure. do the flats line up? Having suggested that it should be adressed, it might be just as well to leave it be as the motor isn't complaining about the slight misalignment, and you would avoid having to take the timing cover off & get the vvt unit out of the way to correct it.
That's what I'm thinking. I'm going to close it up in the next couple of days, then get back to trouble shooting. I don't want to take the timing cover off.

Old 08-16-2023, 07:53 PM

I have gone and done something BAD I put the cam covers back on and sat and thought about my last 4 years with this car not running. I really appreciate all of the help that everyone has given and your true desire to get this car back up and running. I had to deal with reality. My wife was number 1. Also, we need the third car since I do all the work on our cars and they are all old, so the extra car is needed a lot. I found what I think is a good deal and went and bought a 2005 XK8.

Of course, being a good deal, this car has some problems. One thing it does is drive well and the engine is quiet and smooth. I am going to salvage all of the parts I added to the older car and install on the new one. Some items I will sell, like the pretty close to brand new 18" Whitley wheels with new Kuhmo Ecsta tires. I'll let you know how it goes. I guess I should start a new thread.

The following users liked this post:
cjd777 (08-17-2023)