XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Question on engine oil...overfill

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 03:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

As previously stated, I settled on 8 quarts when I did my first oil & filter change on my wife's 2006 XK8 not quite a month ago. The oil level shows up right at the top of the "full" mark on the dipstick, right where I want it. I'll stick with 8 quarts going forward, although I'll bet that 7 quarts would do just fine in these cars as well....

Old 06-11-2012, 05:02 PM
Received 187 Likes on 129 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by The Coupe
Again, no frothing because there is a windage tray - a metal sheet - between the spinning crankshaft and the oil sump.
Yes, but surely at some point of fill the oil must come above that sheet!?

Does anyone know that margin?

Old 06-11-2012, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,805 Likes on 2,238 Posts

A couple of days ago I had the pan off and put the dipstick in to check.I think it would take at least three quarts to get to the oil pickup mount, probably even four.
RJ_______________--
'97 XK8 Conv. 85K mi.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello - I know this thread is a couple years old, but having read this thread 3-4 times and the referenced the TSB re: dipstick replacement, I still can't seem to decipher whether I should fill the oil in my newly acquired '06 XK8 to the "max" level, or 1 quart beyond that.

I have an '06 XK8 and the dipstick part # is XR83-6752-AC.

Here is what is confusing me: The TSB references an "in model year change" for MY 2000. Would they not have corrected this situation by the time the 2006 models were produced? Shouldn't the fill level on the dipstick that comes in a 2006 model be correct to the Jaguar intended specification fill by the time the '06 models were manufactured?

Thanks for any assistance.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:45 PM
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by MTBlueJag
I still can't seem to decipher whether I should fill the oil in my newly acquired '06 XK8 to the "max" level, or 1 quart beyond that.
IMO what you "should" do is fill to about 80% up the hashed area on your dipstick. If you do that you will be fine regardless of what dipstick you have, what engine you have whatever. You are well within the acceptable limits regardless.

This takes all the second guessing out of it. You didn't overfil it, you didn't underfil it.

Two reasons I think this is the best course:
1. It is always better to underfil than overfil (and by overfil I mean up to the crank). Underfil and your oil doesn't last as quite as long and gets hotter when stressed, overfil and you can do damage.

2. IF your dipstick is mismarked and IF you can actually add another quart what exactly is the benifit? It means more volume which means it won't get saturated with impurities and particulates quite as fast but if you change oil regularly that won't be a problem anyway. You will still have plenty of oil in your pan, and plenty of head pressure on the pickup.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default XK8 oil level high after change

Every time I take my 2003 XK8 coupe to a garage for an engine oil and filter change, after the new oil is in the level is about 3/8 inch above the max line when they put in 7.5 US quarts. I checked it after I let the car cool and sit overnight. I check it in my garage where the floor should be level. The manual specifies 8 quarts. This happened with four different garages. The dealer says the length of the dip stick is correct. Model XR83-6752-AD http://www.jagrepair.com/images/TSB/...il%20level.pdf

Could it be that all the oil does not drain out? How do you check if all is drained?
How can you get all the oil to drain?

Has anyone else had this problem?

Old 01-19-2016, 11:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You aren't doing your engine any favor by overfilling. There will be extra windage on the crankshaft which will cause drag at high RPMs and actually reduce the power output.

Old 01-20-2016, 03:24 AM
Received 139 Likes on 74 Posts

OMG ROTFL. This is the craziest thread I've read in a while. All for a little oil stick. Three pages and no definitive resolution. And then throw in those cars with replaced engines in the early Nikasil days. I wonder how many mechanics bother to look at the engine number to verify. That TSB looked clear at first. But, each time I read it I get more confused. I think I'll go add more oil tonight! LOL.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:21 AM
Veteran Member

rflexible,

With my wife's 2006 XK8, I've found that if I want to drain every drop of oil out of the oil pan I must lower the front end to the ground after my initial drain and then jack up the rear end a foot or so and let the car sit for five or ten minutes until the pan is finally empty. I got tired of doing that extra step after the first couple of oil & filter changes I did and decided to just leave the small amount of residual oil in the pan and start by adding 7 fresh quarts. Then I check the oil level again the next day and add oil accordingly. I usually wind up adding just under an additional half a quart. Sometimes it needs less than that. The inconsistencies used to bother me but they don't anymore....

Old 01-20-2016, 08:35 AM
Received 8,138 Likes on 4,910 Posts

Originally Posted by rflexible
Every time I take my 2003 XK8 coupe to a garage for an engine oil and filter change, after the new oil is in the level is about 3/8 inch above the max line when they put in 7.5 US quarts. I checked it after I let the car cool and sit overnight. I check it in my garage where the floor should be level. The manual specifies 8 quarts. This happened with four different garages. The dealer says the length of the dip stick is correct. Model XR83-6752-AD http://www.jagrepair.com/images/TSB/...il%20level.pdf

Could it be that all the oil does not drain out? How do you check if all is drained?
How can you get all the oil to drain?

Has anyone else had this problem?
Actually, the way Jaguar always recommended checking the engine oil level was "STOP ENGINE, WAIT 1 MIN".

That was printed on dipsticks for a few decades.

Your running engine needs the oil at a certain level. Letting it sit all night and getting oil from the top and sides to drain back into the pan is NOT the natural state of a running engine. Stopping the engine and waiting a minute is closer to the REAL oil level that the engine requires.

IT SHOULD be a little overfull if you are checking it 8 hours LATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try the "STOP ENGINE, WAIT 1 MIN" method and see if it is correct at that time.

bob gauff

The following users liked this post:
jamdmyers (01-21-2016)
Old 01-21-2016, 08:09 PM
Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by cyber3d
OMG ROTFL. This is the craziest thread I've read in a while. All for a little oil stick. Three pages and no definitive resolution. And then throw in those cars with replaced engines in the early Nikasil days. I wonder how many mechanics bother to look at the engine number to verify. That TSB looked clear at first. But, each time I read it I get more confused. I think I'll go add more oil tonight! LOL.
x2

see post #13 and thank plums

Last edited by 64vette; 01-22-2016 at 09:36 AM.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Originally Posted by 64vette
x2
see post #13 and thank him
Since that's me(had to look), I'll say that I run the "silverstone"
spec as explained by Brutal.

When I fill, it is to the same distance above max as the distance
between max and min.

I see no problem with doing this.

Old 05-30-2016, 02:51 PM
Received 150 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by motorcarman
Actually, the way Jaguar always recommended checking the engine oil level was "STOP ENGINE, WAIT 1 MIN".

That was printed on dipsticks for a few decades.

Your running engine needs the oil at a certain level. Letting it sit all night and getting oil from the top and sides to drain back into the pan is NOT the natural state of a running engine. Stopping the engine and waiting a minute is closer to the REAL oil level that the engine requires.

IT SHOULD be a little overfull if you are checking it 8 hours LATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try the "STOP ENGINE, WAIT 1 MIN" method and see if it is correct at that time.

bob gauff
+1

Bob has it
After a new oil/filter change to the Jag sump capacity recommendations on my 2001 XKR the oil level is about 8mm above the max mark when cold (overnight) but bang on the max hole after a run and waiting 1 minute.
Steve

The following users liked this post:
motorcarman (05-31-2016)
Old 07-18-2016, 01:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

"
OMG ROTFL. This is the craziest thread I've read in a while. All for a little oil stick. Three pages and no definitive resolution. And then throw in those cars with replaced engines in the early Nikasil days. I wonder how many mechanics bother to look at the engine number to verify. That TSB looked clear at first. But, each time I read it I get more confused. I think I'll go add more oil tonight! LOL."
Well, cyber3d, if you think it is ok to overfill the oil level, than don't worry about it, but for those who don't want to overfill and risk damage then don't call them crazy if they want to take a easy and reasonable precaution.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:51 PM
Received 139 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by rflexible
"
OMG ROTFL. This is the craziest thread I've read in a while. All for a little oil stick. Three pages and no definitive resolution. And then throw in those cars with replaced engines in the early Nikasil days. I wonder how many mechanics bother to look at the engine number to verify. That TSB looked clear at first. But, each time I read it I get more confused. I think I'll go add more oil tonight! LOL."
Well, cyber3d, if you think it is ok to overfill the oil level, than don't worry about it, but for those who don't want to overfill and risk damage then don't call them crazy if they want to take a easy and reasonable precaution.
Well, actually, I never called anyone crazy. I was referring to the thread itself.

Old 04-04-2019, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 692 Likes on 376 Posts

No wonder they're taking the oil dipsticks out of new cars.
Who can figure them out anymore?

Old 10-20-2021, 01:12 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by stu46h
No wonder they're taking the oil dipsticks out of new cars.
Who can figure them out anymore?
This is the first vehicle I have had to change oil on and had to reference capacity to get it right, out of too many too add up over the decades, that a simple search resulted in whatever it was i just read... if the engineers of this motor did not correctly mark the oil level gauge, that would explain years of issues with these motors. I'm no mechanic, maybe qualified to be a lube tech at best, but I am an engineer and understand basic mechanical design of the century old internal combustion engine. You change the oil after it has been running at operating temperature because it will flow out easier, residual oil will always be left in the various parts of the motor. Then after it slows to a drip you can replace the plug and oil filter and fill to owner manual (engine manual) oil capacity and check dipstick after waiting 10 minutes or so for oil to make way to pan. If it is higher than indicator level, it's overfilled and hopefully you installed a fumoto/ ez drain and can let some out. The level should be right (on the dipstick/level gauge) at this time when engine is still hot and new oil is added and drains down to sump.

Maybe this results in looking over full after sitting all night, but I will change the oil same way I have for decades and let you all know if the level raised the next day after sitting.

And about the oil filter, you only pre fill oil filters that are large capacity and orientated straight up and down, such as in diesel truck engines, the big ones, because you will cause damage as pump can't fill the filter fast enough while engine running. On these little filters mounted sideways it is a non issue.

Old 10-20-2021, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member

Exactly 8 quarts has always worked for me. I change the oil and filter every 6,000 miles and there is still no oil consumption between oil changes, now at 122,800 miles. I have always run conventional Castrol GTX 5W30....

Old 10-21-2021, 03:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 503 Posts

I have not read every post on this but if you over fill you risk straining the crankshaft oil seals if the level is too high. My 97 had the oil about 1/2 in to high and I had oil in the air filter box ...I reduced to the correct level and no more oil in the air filter

Old 10-21-2021, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 417 Likes on 308 Posts
Talking Oil Level ?

Originally Posted by Jon89
Exactly 8 quarts has always worked for me. I change the oil and filter every 6,000 miles and there is still no oil consumption between oil changes, now at 122,800 miles. I have always run conventional Castrol GTX 5W30....
Wow, what a thread. Oil always seems to bring out the opinions. I'm with Jon89, with the exception that I change my oil every six months (or 6,000 miles) because I usually don't drive 6,000 miles in six months and oil gets old. At 125K miles, I don't have any consumption and neither does my car.

Quick Reply: Question on engine oil...overfill