Sponsored by:

Question for Gus re: top hydraulic leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 10:08 PM
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Question for Gus re: top hydraulic leak

Gus,

On your website where you discuss the top hydraulic leak it says:

"10/25/07 - It is my understanding that Jaguar has come out with a hose repair kit that is a repair for hoses that leak at the latch. It is shorter and you must splice it near the driver’s side kick panel. However if I had to do over again I would replace the entire line like I did this time now that I know how to do it.
Well this is my first look at the new shorter hose kit for the latching system to the xk8 convertible. I would like to think Jaguar made this with the pressure required to operate the latch."

In retrospect, does this "new" hose kit solve the leaking problem? My review of the records of the 2006 XK8 I just bought shows the dealer fixing the car in July 2010 after the previous owner had the "green shower". The work order shows part HJB8256AB was used.

Thank you,

Jack

Old 01-06-2011, 02:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

The repair kit was intended to reduce warranty labor hours only and did not upgrade the hoses so it isn't a permanent fix. Because of a high incident of leaks at the fuse panel splice this kit was withdrawn within a few months of introduction.

Jaguar never fixed the problem and the only way to significantly improve your chance of avoiding another shower is to install either the pressure regulation or resistor voltage reduction solutions. My first car had the hoses replaced 3 times in 106k miles and the current car once at 40k miles.

Based on your question I assume you have found the discussions on the above solutions but for anyone reading this in the future they can be found at:

Pressure Regulation https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=27132

Voltage Reduction https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=42013

Last edited by test point; 01-06-2011 at 02:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (01-06-2011)
Old 01-06-2011, 08:58 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,212 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by BlkCat
Gus,

On your website where you discuss the top hydraulic leak it says:

"10/25/07 - It is my understanding that Jaguar has come out with a hose repair kit that is a repair for hoses that leak at the latch. It is shorter and you must splice it near the driver’s side kick panel. However if I had to do over again I would replace the entire line like I did this time now that I know how to do it.
Well this is my first look at the new shorter hose kit for the latching system to the xk8 convertible. I would like to think Jaguar made this with the pressure required to operate the latch."

In retrospect, does this "new" hose kit solve the leaking problem? My review of the records of the 2006 XK8 I just bought shows the dealer fixing the car in July 2010 after the previous owner had the "green shower". The work order shows part HJB8256AB was used.

Thank you,

Jack
Jack,

The short hose kit has been installed in many cars and has been found to not eliminate any future failures. In retrospect the failures were caused by two problems one the hose quality and the other by the pressure that the pump was designed to produce hence the development of the new hose and the pressure reduction valve. Jaguar has not seen the necessity to improve the hose and rightfully so. After much time and investigation I found that the latch and lift seals were blowing out and that was caused by the excessive pressure produced by the pump 1600psi. I teamed up with an expert Walt and he came up with the pressure relief valve reducing the pressure to around 1000psi. I also had a hose developed that would withstand any pressure the pump system had to offer. But that was a repair for the hoses to the roof latch and not the hoses to the lifts. The noted failures on the repair hose were in the splice of the hose repair kit. I installed one set and I can tell you that they fail it is a matter of when. I hope this helps.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Gus
Jack,

I hope this helps.
Gus,

Yes, thanks for the advice. I am not a great mechanic. I am a little concerned that I will mess up more than I fix if I try to put this in. Break more than I fix. I am going to do a visual "dry run" - have a look at the instructions while looking at the car to see if it looks like something I could do.

If I lack confidence I wonder if a shop would put it in.

I am also concerned about the fact that I have a Select Edition warrantee and also bought another two years warrantee from the dealer. Whether failure is covered by either seems to be a grey area. Installing this would give them an out. Like I said - grey area.

I don't suppose the dealer would install this. Wish they would. Given the pervasive nature and unpleasant symtoms of the issue you would think they would.

I appreciate you and everyone else here helping me with this.

Jack

Old 01-06-2011, 09:34 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

Is your system leaking now? And if so have you looked at the Second Addition warranty taking care of it. I have no experience with it but I understand it does take care of hyd leaks.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 539 Likes on 402 Posts

Jack--when you talk about "fixing" the car (either by you yourself or the dealer), are you talking about installing new hoses or installing the pressure relief kit? Gus and others have written detailed diy for the hose replacement. This does not look all that difficult but just very time consuming. Many moons ago when I was a lad and had plenty of time, the hose replacement is probably something that I would have done myself but these days I would gladly pay someone else. As far as the pressure relief valve goes, this is such a simple install that I would be embarrassed to have someone else do it. It really should take no more than 30-45 minutes the first time.

Doug

Old 01-06-2011, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
Jack--when you talk about "fixing" the car (either by you yourself or the dealer), are you talking about installing new hoses or installing the pressure relief kit? Gus and others have written detailed diy for the hose replacement. This does not look all that difficult but just very time consuming. Many moons ago when I was a lad and had plenty of time, the hose replacement is probably something that I would have done myself but these days I would gladly pay someone else. As far as the pressure relief valve goes, this is such a simple install that I would be embarrassed to have someone else do it. It really should take no more than 30-45 minutes the first time.

Doug

My top is not leaking now. Works perfectly. In fact, my documentation shows the previous owner had the "green shower" and had it fixed by the dealer July 2010.

My concern is installing the pressure relief valve so it does not happen again.

Jack

Old 01-06-2011, 10:56 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

It look like you have been on my page but will send a link to the pressure relief valve http://www.gusglikas.com/AutoRepairJ...esRelValve.htm It is quick and easy. The only suggestion I would have is that you DO NOT pinch the hoses when installing the device, a sharp bend in the hose is not a good thing.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:02 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,150 Likes on 753 Posts

Ruptured hydraulic lines are covered under select, and if it was repaired in 2010, the dealers were no longer using the 'patch' kit, but replacing all lines in the cabin. You should be good to go. Mine were replaced as well, but I am still going to put on a pressure reducing device, to give it long-term viability.