XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Question for our Jag friends in the US

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2022 | 04:26 PM
|

Originally Posted by Jon89
Kelly,

This forum has indeed been a fantastic resource for all of us. Always great to meet like-minded folks willing to help each other out. Hard to top some of the true friendships made here during the past decade....
Agreed, well said Jon 👍

Old 08-25-2022 | 04:32 PM
|

Originally Posted by Brett_in_PA
When you buy a Jaguar, you aren't just buying the car; you're buying into the culture and heritage, it's more about owning a Jaguar than owning a luxury car.
I think that Jags have always been an attainable ambition for your average hard working Joe like me. Aston Martin and Bentley are a rich man's play thing and will always be out of my reach. Just my VHO

Old 08-25-2022 | 07:17 PM

I like everything. Muscle cars, sports cars, trucks, custom, OEM, you name it. Motorcycles have taken top stop on my priority list but a man lusts for what a man wants!!
Before bikes I had a '67 XKE FHC (used of course) when I was just out of high school and a working boy. WOW!! what a cool car, I even get asked about it after almost 50 years.
I read Hot Rod magazine since I was ten but never had a muscle car or hot rod. Just love all that stuff but a guy can do only what he can.
The XK8 is the one that LOOKS the most like the original (retro was in and still is). Thank you Ford for saving Jaguar as it should have been and we still get to enjoy them today.
We had a couple MX5's (loved them) mixed in our adult life and when it came time to get another fun car, something more comfortable was in order. I knew just the thing and OH what a beauty. The looks are what did it for me but I found many other things to like about this car. Classic as the original I think. My top 3 timeless classic cars are early T-birds, mid year Corvettes (63-67) and XKE's. Your mileage may vary. They will always be beautiful.

I got off on a little tangent didn't I?? LOL I can talk about cars, bikes and music all day long!! Ride, drive safe!! TM

Old 08-25-2022 | 07:29 PM
|

Originally Posted by STLTHMSTA
I like everything. Muscle cars, sports cars, trucks, custom, OEM, you name it. Motorcycles have taken top stop on my priority list but a man lusts for what a man wants!!
Before bikes I had a '67 XKE FHC (used of course) when I was just out of high school and a working boy. WOW!! what a cool car, I even get asked about it after almost 50 years.
I read Hot Rod magazine since I was ten but never had a muscle car or hot rod. Just love all that stuff but a guy can do only what he can.
The XK8 is the one that LOOKS the most like the original (retro was in and still is). Thank you Ford for saving Jaguar as it should have been and we still get to enjoy them today.
We had a couple MX5's (loved them) mixed in our adult life and when it came time to get another fun car, something more comfortable was in order. I knew just the thing and OH what a beauty. The looks are what did it for me but I found many other things to like about this car. Classic as the original I think. My top 3 timeless classic cars are early T-birds, mid year Corvettes (63-67) and XKE's. Your mileage may vary. They will always be beautiful.

I got off on a little tangent didn't I?? LOL I can talk about cars, bikes and music all day long!! Ride, drive safe!! TM
Off topic as well, I am a Brit who loves my Jag, but I am a guitar player who's favorite bands are Eagles and The Doobie Brothers 🥰🥰🥰👍👍👍

Old 10-28-2022 | 09:30 PM

For me, it was a combination of price (most mustangs you’d want that would compete on looks meaning not anything made 1979-2006 will go for triple), exclusivity (these are rare birds indeed, here, something that sticks out of a crowd) and looks, primarily because I wanted a car to go to Cars and Coffee events in something that would be a conversation starter. Also, honestly, after watching grand tour and top gear for years and years, I’ve always wanted a GT car. Brits have always been best at that (Jag, Bentley, Rolls, Aston). Simply put, it was a perfect car on the budget I had. And it’s so nice to look at.

Old 10-29-2022 | 12:40 AM

Style, Power and Refinement.

My sisters boyfriend has an E Type Roadster when I was a kid. I loved the car even though he was always making me clean the spokes!

Old 10-29-2022 | 03:16 AM
Veteran Member

The price under $4000 and something to work on now retired.

The following users liked this post:
professor2 (10-30-2022)
Old 10-29-2022 | 07:12 AM
Default 01 XK8

Though the audibility in truly a minor consideration it was the visual appeal that seduced me to purchase this elegant and sexy automobile. Ford at the helm was a bit of a factor. I kinda compare the XK8 as a British version of the U.S. Corvette, but far more luxurious & sophisticated and yes, sexier!
Its purrrr is fine by me, my other ride has an earth shaking Hemi for the dance club experience😉

professor2 (10-30-2022)
Old 10-30-2022 | 07:19 AM

The styling! Have owned XKE's since 1972 and the XK8 is almost as beautiful and much more comfortable on a long trip.

Old 10-30-2022 | 09:11 AM
Default XK styling

Originally Posted by XK8WGM
From early teenaged years, I had always loved the look of the 60's model XKE series convertibles. It was and has continued to be my dream car. The styling of the series of car is unmistakable and unmatched in my opinion. For many years, I have owned and driven the poor man's Jaguar. MGB. first a 1972, then a 1974 and now still have a 1980.
The XKE's are out of reach financially and logically speaking. BUT, the XK8 that I just purchased takes a lot of styling hints from the original and is much more affordable. I am in love with the look of my XK. I told the seller that I wanted the car and was fully aware of the issues that come with it. (not sure I was fully aware of the scarcity of parts and expense associated with the upkeep). The honeymoon is still on and it seems to be all I can talk about around the house.
My thoughts exactly. I had several of the early E-Type and loved them beyond words. It was a perfect car for my youth...it's a wonder I lived, considering the bias belted tires. Thanks to a variety of factors common to guys my age, I can not afford my dream '62-'64 E-type, so I'm settling for an XK8. As it turns out, the XK8 is not a cheap imitation as I first thought, rather it is a bit more reliable and almost as fun to drive.

There may never be another car to equal the E-type in looks, or sound, and I'd rather have one than the XK8. That said, the XK8 fits with my life today and I'm glad it is there instead of a blunt nosed fire breathing dragon from Detroit. Jaguar is sophisticated and elegant: It is unlikely that Detroit will ever make that standard.

Old 10-30-2022 | 04:03 PM
Default Why I like the XK8

It must have been 60 years ago when I took a test ride in an XK120. I loved the style and the speed ... I thought we were doing 80 mph but the speedometer showed 120. It was earlier this year when I was able to get my 1998 XK8.

John W
near Baltimore

Timeisrelative (10-30-2022)
Old 10-30-2022 | 09:09 PM
Default The first ride/drive

I had a similar experience. If I remember right, that E-Type had a 3:01 to 1 rear end. I took my test drive with the owner (it was a 3 year old car) and I had been listening to the engine to know when to shift. Yeah. Right. He said, "I don't think I've ever been this fast in the car before." I had just shifted to third.

*sigh* what a lovely car. So many good memories and so blinkin' far out of financial reach today, though it was only $3,000 at the time. Ah well, I'm well pleased with the XK8, though if I buy another, it will likely be a 2006 model, maybe a Victory Edition.

Meanwhile, the top goes down, the wind is in my hair, I feel a bit smug, and it is a Jaguar under me again.

It's the only picture I have of the old girl.

The following 3 users liked this post by professor2:
dfbender (10-31-2022), JimmyL (10-31-2022), SOCONN13 (10-30-2022)