XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Question on XKR fuel pump(s)

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 09:29 AM
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Question on XKR fuel pump(s)

I have a 2000 XKR convertible, and have the dreaded fuel pump failure project.
I've been studying the posts and procedures of two methods (1) tank removal (2) cutting an access hole.

Question: I understand I have two pumps, but are they both on the same "unit" that fits into the central hole in the top of the tank?
Or, are there two separate pumps with two separate mounting holes in the tank?

Thanks!

The following users liked this post:
Hdpartsman00XKR (10-15-2019)
Old 10-15-2019, 03:24 PM
Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts

Question: I understand I have two pumps, but are they both on the same "unit" that fits into the central hole in the top of the tank?
Or, are there two separate pumps with two separate mounting holes in the ta

Tim, both pumps are located together, accessed through the "evaporative loss flange", secured by a lock ring, in the top of the tank. Once the fuel lines are removed underneath the car, the remaining work inside the boot is fairly straightforward, as once the fuel filler and accompanying lines are disconnected, you then only need to pull the tank rearward a bit in order to remove the pumps. It was simplified in my case as I had the rear suspension removed for refurbish, new polyurethane bushings, and lowering springs, which made easy access to the two lines going to the tank. I used Delphi pumps, which caused me to slightly modify the rubber mounts from the stock pumps to accommodate the new Delphi's. You will also need new filters and electric

fuel lines to tank, suspension has been removed
lead extensions (which came with the Delphi's) for both new pumps. The extensions were plug and play. The whole operation took less than 2 hours.
Best to your endeavors,
Cheers, BK

Johnken (10-15-2019)
Old 10-15-2019, 03:50 PM
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Awesome! thanks for the input!

Hdpartsman00XKR (10-15-2019)
Old 10-16-2019, 11:21 PM
Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

I have also been faced with frozen fuel pumps in my 2002 XKR 100. I was not excited about swapping out the two pumps in the tank, so I tried something a bit different. Having a background in racing electronics and high performance electric motors, here is what I did. Access the connector for the motors in the trunk area above, or actually next to, the tank. Locate the positive and negative wires for each pump, then using a 24v battery, I powered, or attempted to power, the pumps, one at a time. Initially, since they were locked up, they just hummed for the second I had them connected. So then I swapped the wires to ostensibly run them the other way. After a couple of back and forth swaps with the wires, the pump loosened up and functioned. I then put it all back together, and they both work perfectly. I know for certain that they are both working since I can shift at the redline on the front straight at Fontana, no problem.
Just a note here. The tank was still sealed up so there were no gasoline vapors in the area, as this does generate some small sparks. Also, do not keep the power to the locked up pump for more than a second. The back and forth is what will loosen it up, and not the continuous power.
It was a whole bunch better than the alternative!
Bill

2000 XKR Coupe
2001 XKR Coupe
2002 XK8 Coupe
2002 XKR100 Coupe
2002 XJR100
2002 XJR100 - basket for parts...

Old 10-17-2019, 06:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,392 Likes on 2,868 Posts

Great tip - sure hope it will work for other owners who opt to try it....

Old 10-19-2019, 03:57 AM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

My XKR had a sub woofer fitted in the parcel self. I'm new to XK ownership, so I guess that not all of these cars have the sub fitted?

In my case, I removed the sub, undid the two tank securing straps, undid the filler neck fixings inside the filler flap, disconnected the multiplug electrical connection to the right of the tank and removed the breather pipe from the left of the tank. I could then move the tank rewards enough to access the top of the tank through the hole where the sub sits, and removed the top cover plate. Once this is done, I could see (just about!) The two pumps, each mounted In its own bracket and each secured to a plate in the tank with a single 8mm screw. After a bit of gymnastics, I could then remove each pump and pull it clear of the tank to disconnect the electical connection and fuel pipe.

I could just about move the tank enough without having to disconnect the pipes underneath, but I must stress - don't force it!

The following 2 users liked this post by Petesparks18:
DavidYau (10-20-2019), XKR-DAY (10-19-2019)
Old 10-20-2019, 12:47 AM
Received 273 Likes on 161 Posts

INTANK FUEL PUMPS 2001 XKR
The convertible's dont have the subwoofer..
options are..Remove the petrol tank or cut an access hole above the evap flange..
Lots of threads on both options..

My preference (if i had a convertible) would be to cut the access hole..

B&DWoolley's idea is a good quick fix and would no doubt help members that find them selves stranded due to fuel pump failure,
But i would not trust a once failed pump and would change the pump/pumps as soon as i could for my own peace of mind..

So to all owners that find them selves in Taxman's position with a convertible or coup with failed pump/pumps, Just pick the option for changing out the pump/s that you are most comfortable with and take your time, This is a DIY job that will save you a lot of money.
Good Luck to all..

DavidYau (10-20-2019)