XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Radio Antenna

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2023 | 07:55 AM
|
Default Radio Antenna

When turn off my car the antenna is not going down completely into the car. Any suggestions

Old 02-01-2023 | 08:14 AM
Veteran Member

When its up clean it .

The following 2 users liked this post by Pistnbroke:
Smossbrit (02-06-2023), Timeisrelative (02-25-2023)
Old 02-01-2023 | 08:25 AM

If someone replaced the mast and there is still a piece of broken 'toothed' plastic coiled in the drive mechanism, it will prevent the replacement mast from fully retracting.

Could something as simple as a bent mast section.

The following 2 users liked this post by motorcarman:
Smossbrit (02-06-2023), toaster (02-01-2023)
Old 02-01-2023 | 10:49 AM
Veteran Member

As previously suggested, clean the antenna before you do anything else. And after cleaning it, wiping it down with a dab of white silicone grease from time to time will keep it working properly....

The following users liked this post:
Smossbrit (02-06-2023)
Old 02-01-2023 | 11:15 AM
Veteran Member

The aerial is operated by a flexible rod pushed up the inside and pulled down This is wound on a drum and driven through a ball clutch so when it gets to the bottom you get a few clicks as the travel is more than the aerial length . Same at the top

Rtoy42 (02-01-2023), Smossbrit (02-06-2023)
Old 02-01-2023 | 03:47 PM

https://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=j...Et9wiEFtUDd7ld

google has the answer………..

Sometimes it simply helps to remove the old rod and reinstall it.

Last edited by toaster; 02-01-2023 at 04:01 PM.
Smossbrit (02-06-2023)
Old 02-02-2023 | 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by Smossbrit
When turn off my car the antenna is not going down completely into the car. Any suggestions
Mine does that every once in a while leaving a few inches out. I just push it in but its because the mast is old and has become slightly curved. New mast are cheap and replacing is so simple and takes minites. Check the forum, its only a few steps.

Smossbrit (02-06-2023)
Old 02-02-2023 | 07:15 AM
Veteran Member

When you get it down, pull the fuse. Looks awful up anyway. There are modern antennas that don’t need to be exposed in order to get decent FM reception. I’ve read on this forum of several members using them hidden in the trunk and were satisfied with the reception.

I just pulled the antenna fuse. Unless there’s a WW-3 I don’t have the need for radio anyway. Even then, the electro-magnetic pulse will likely keep cars off the road, if we still have roads.

The Discount Stereo Bluetooth adaptor gives me all the audio entertainment needed, via a smart phone. Even our outdated nav units are more useful than commercial radio. Just an opinion of course.

Z

The following 2 users liked this post by zray:
Smossbrit (02-06-2023), Timeisrelative (08-06-2023)
Old 02-21-2023 | 03:45 PM
Veteran Member

I have sort of the opposite issue. I regularly clean the antenna and lube it lightly with WD-40 or similar. As far as I know this is the original mast that came with the car. Just recently it has started making a slight grinding-like noise when the antenna goes up but down is no problem. Then today it kept making the noise even when the antenna was fully up--I turned the radio off and then on again which solved the problem. But in any case it is likely time to replace the mast and cable. I have done this easily with other cars but it seems that nothing is that easy with a Jaguar--or is it?

Old 02-21-2023 | 04:40 PM

FYI
While you have the silicone grease out, it helps to go ahead and coat the gas spring support rods for the bonnet and boot lid.

Timeisrelative (08-06-2023)
Old 02-23-2023 | 07:00 PM
Veteran Member

Just an update hoping for some insight. There is really no noise when the antenna goes up or down. The noise happens when the antenna reaches the fully extended up position and something keeps running as if the antenna needed to go up more. I assume there is some mechanism that shuts off the motor when the antenna reaches full up or full down and the full up "shut-off" doesn't seem to be happening. I can get the mechanism to shut off by quickly switching the radio off and then on again.
So does this still indicate a problem with the mast cable and a simple mast replacement or something more complicated?

Old 02-24-2023 | 01:00 AM
Veteran Member

All these aerials contain a spring loaded ball clutch. The mechanism provides excess travel and the clutch clicks at the end of the travel. If the aerial cannot extend then the clutch prevents damage .

Dr. D (02-24-2023), Timeisrelative (08-06-2023)
Old 02-24-2023 | 10:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Pistnbroke
All these aerials contain a spring loaded ball clutch. The mechanism provides excess travel and the clutch clicks at the end of the travel. If the aerial cannot extend then the clutch prevents damage .
So how does this translate to what I am seeing? Antenna extends flawlessly without noise but then it sounds like it wants to extend more (motor keeps running). I guess I can try a mast replacement first to see if that solves the problem but it is still not clear to me what the problem is.

Old 07-23-2023 | 05:56 PM
Veteran Member
Default Uh oh!

Well I was planning to replace the mast and finally ordered one but wonder if I waited too long. As I mentioned when the antenna was going up the motor ran past the fully extended position with sort of a racheting noise for a few moments (the ball clutch Pistnbroke mentioned?) and it would retract with no issues. Suddenly before I had a chance to replace the mast it stopped going up all the way and I pulled it up. But now when I turn the radio on and off there is NO noise of any motor running and I have to pull or push the antenna manually. I looked at fuse 9 in the trunk and it looks fine (although weird thing is that manual says it is 10 amp and the actual fuse is 5 amp but that didn't seem to make a difference all these years).

I didn't bother pulling out the old mast and putting in the new replacement since I plan to bring the car in for minor servicing at the local mechanic and I feared I may have screwed up the motor so bettet to let him be the judge.

Any other advice?

Old 07-26-2023 | 07:06 PM
Veteran Member

Well another update and hope someone chimes in. I brought the car in for minor service and asked about doing the antenna. This is a really busy local shop and he didn't really have time to get to that and he said it is a pain in the *** (I assume he was thinking that the entire antenna assembly needed to come out versus just pulling out the old mast and installing the new one as I have done with previous vehicles). The thing is that I now do not hear any antenna motor noise when turning the radio on or off and I have to extend and retract the antenna by hand, or just leave it up. Does that necessarily mean the motor component is fried and I need to get a new one or could it be that a piece of mast cable is stuck in there and things will be fine once I get that out?

Old 08-01-2023 | 04:17 PM
Veteran Member

Anyone? Anyone? Buehler?

I am preparing to just bite the bullet and find some spare time to pull the antenna assembly. It could be that the motor is not running since it could be "fooled" into thinking the antenna was fully retracted or fully extended due to some piece of mast stuck in the mechanism. Or it could be that the motor is toast but that really doesn't make sense. Nevertheless I think it would be a good idea just to buy another assembly. Does anyone have a recommendation for a decent source to get a replacement without the highway robbery Jaguar charges for an OEM?

Old 08-06-2023 | 08:04 AM
Veteran Member

Here's a thread with a bunch of info. The link to ebay masts down in there still works. I replaced mine, but it's been a while and I don't remember details.
2006 XK8 Antenna Assembly Removal - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Old 08-06-2023 | 02:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JimmyL
Here's a thread with a bunch of info. The link to ebay masts down in there still works. I replaced mine, but it's been a while and I don't remember details.
2006 XK8 Antenna Assembly Removal - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
Believe me I looked up every thread and source dealing with this, the best of which was Gus' write up at JagRepair. The mechanics or either replacing the mast or replacing the assembly are not really the issue. What I was trying to figure out was IF I will really need a replacement motor or not and I wanted to determine this BEFORE going through the hassle of removing the assembly from the vehicle. I did stop a a local car stereo shop I have used in the past to see if they screwed around with doing this stuff. When I told him the motor was not running his suspicion was there were pieces of broken mast in the spool and that cleaning those out and putting in the new mast would solve the problem. He would charge $150 to do so and if I actually did need a new assemble it would be $250.

In any case it looks like removing the assembly is the next step regardless and I would sort of enjoy the challenge of tinkering with it myself but am lazy these days so may opt just to let the guy do it.

Doug

Old 05-18-2024 | 01:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by zray
When you get it down, pull the fuse. Looks awful up anyway. There are modern antennas that don’t need to be exposed in order to get decent FM reception. I’ve read on this forum of several members using them hidden in the trunk and were satisfied with the reception.

I just pulled the antenna fuse. Unless there’s a WW-3 I don’t have the need for radio anyway. Even then, the electro-magnetic pulse will likely keep cars off the road, if we still have roads.

The Discount Stereo Bluetooth adaptor gives me all the audio entertainment needed, via a smart phone. Even our outdated nav units are more useful than commercial radio. Just an opinion of course.

Z
I suppose whether it looks awful or not depends on who’s looking.

i remember when aerial locations on the rear deck were considered cool/high tech and when some GM models had one on each side! They also generated less audible wind noise than the front mounted ones.

The “next iteration” was the retractable aerials that gave the car a sleeker look when parked and stopped them from being snapped off by passers-by.

I still think one of the coolest “features” of our cars is connecting the aerial to the radio and to the ignition. Turning the radio on at a stoplight and having people do a double take is only bested by the delayed retraction after turning off and exiting the car - something that still brings a smile to my face.

Of course there’s not much about these cars that doesn’t bring a smile to my face.

Old 05-18-2024 | 07:16 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah the antenna never bothered me all that much. By the way went the easy way out and had the local guy replace the unit with another. It is not a Jaguar part but the antenna works just fine and is actually quieter going up and down than the original.

Quick Reply: Radio Antenna