Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rain, rain, go away -- from my interior

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 05:03 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Rain, rain, go away -- from my interior

Dear XK8 forum buddies:

OK, I know those of you who mothball your XK8 convertibles for the winter are going to shrug (maybe) but I got a very rude awakening last night during a major Oregon rainstorm.

I drive an XK8 convertible to the nearby train station and back four days a week. It was pouring Cats and Mufflers yesterday evening. As I stood under my umbrella next to the XK8 in the train station parking lot, I contemplated how to get into the car without drenching the interior. This can be a challenge with any car in a downpour, but as I discovered, whatever plan I could devise using my umbrella to shield rain from the interior would be completely thwarted by the worse design flaw I have seen in a car.

That's because when I opened the door, a literal river of rainwater began pouring straight down from the top of the windshield pillar into the car interior, onto the driver seat and interior carpet, and straight onto my left leg after I got in. Nice.

The rainwater cascades like a waterfall from the end of rubber weather seal that separates the convertible top from the front windshield, straight into the cabin. The seal works great and keeps the car completely dry in a storm--until you open the door. Then all the water that is channeled from the top of the car down onto the driver and passenger side windows ends up pouring into the interior and straight onto your leg before you can close the door.

I guess the designers of the XK8 convertible--living in rainy, wet England--either never drove one in the rain or just could not think of a way to solve this problem by redirecting the water flow somehow.

This was never a problem when I drove my old XK8 coupe, because of the small but effective roof gutter above the side windows. It's also a problem that I have never seen in print, either on any of the forums or in reviews by the auto media.

I guess a wet leg, sopping interior and exorbitant wintertime dry cleaning bill are the price I will have to pay to drive a convertible here in Oregon. (Hmm. I suppose I could carry a big plastic cup to catch the water as I get into and out of the car, but then again, no, it would just fall over in the cup holder anyway. Sigh.)

I'm hoping one of our inventive forum members has a solution to the problem. Besides buying a coupe, that is.

Soppingly, swimmingly yours,
--Ed

PS I just noticed that the word river is also in driver. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

I have experienced the 'river' you describe a couple of times. Water is focused directly into the car on the convertible. Guess that is why I do not make a habit of driving in the rain and why they mainly sell coupes in GB.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:42 PM
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Ed - I have the same problem here in Seattle, but even worse. Shortly after I got my XK8, I noticed that a chunk of the lip on the weatherstripping at the top of the pillar was torn and missing. Looks ugly, but since the driver is the only one who sees it and there doesn't seem to be any leakage of air or water, I haven't worried much about it. However, whatever ability it is supposed to have to catch the roof runoff is totally gone, and I end up with your aforementioned waterfall. Fortunately, I have other cars I try to drive in the rain, but when I get caught out with the XK - - - yuck. I have looked at the passenger side, and it looks to me like it actually would catch most of the runoff, but I haven't tested it. And it may be especially inadequate for the kind of deluges we've been having recently.

Stand by, too: The old "Pineapple Express" is going to hit us this week-end. (For those who don't know, that's when warm air from Hawaii that has been picking up moisture all the way across the Pacific slams into the Northwest and D-U-M-P-S.)

Regards

Old 12-10-2010, 08:55 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

All you need is a towel that you put on the driver's seat when you get out of the car. As soon as you open the door, grab the towel to sop up the stream and any water that comes down. I have been carrying towels in my cars for years, because you never know when you will need one. OK, actually, about three or four towels in my Jag, for when I want to put something on one of the seats, and to cover the seats when I am driving around with the top down. There are not a lot of things worse for leather than the Sun shining on it and drying it out.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:49 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by XK8+XJ8L
Stand by, too: The old "Pineapple Express" is going to hit us this week-end. (For those who don't know, that's when warm air from Hawaii that has been picking up moisture all the way across the Pacific slams into the Northwest and D-U-M-P-S.)
I'm ready for the storm, i.e. not driving the XK tonight or tomorrow!

I was looking over the design and installation of the windshield pillar trim piece from the bottom of the pillar to the top (it ends above the side window near where weatherseal between the conv top and windscreen is). There's got to be a way to install an extension of the windshield pillar trim so that it bridges the very apparent gap that allows the rainwater in. Even if it were only partially effective, that would be an improvement.

Until then, I guess carrying towels is the po-boy's solution.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

I just move FAST.

Old 12-11-2010, 09:13 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,150 Likes on 753 Posts

fast, like Neo... I try to dodge the water drops and the pre-waterfall gap. As of yet, I have not been entirely successful.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:01 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just read your reply about using a towel.

That really works! I love to drive this XK8 all the time, so I have learned to use several towels as suggested.

If possible, park the car under a roof, e.g. covered garage at home, indoor parking lot.

If not, then try the following:

To get out of the car during a storm, before opening the door, cover your left leg and lap with a thick towel. The thick towel will absorb the water fall. Open the door, slide out, then slide the towel onto the seat where the water fall is hitting, then get out of the way and close the door.

To get into the car during a storm, open the door and put a towel on the seat where the water fall is hitting. Hold a 2nd towel covering your left leg and lap as you sit down. Then close the door and put the two wet towels on the floor.

To get away with only one towel, wear a long raincoat or rubber waders

Old 03-05-2011, 12:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,261 Likes on 565 Posts

This is not a criticism, I swear, but you guys need to get over your fear of rain! I was in the Marine Corps, and Marines are not allowed to use umbrellas! Ever. Period. I got out the the Marines 22 years ago, and to this day I don't use an umbrella. I feel girly if I use an umbrella. It's not manly! Just get wet!

I don't use straws, either, unless I'm drinking in the car. A dude can't look manly while sucking on a sissy-stick. Put your lips on the glass and drink.

Tell me, does this look manly?

Last edited by Reverend Sam; 03-05-2011 at 12:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
berlin1977 (02-03-2013)
Old 02-03-2013, 05:20 AM
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Being an XK8 convertible owner in England I can sympathise with this post but should add that although England is known for being wet, it is more a continuous drizzle at certain times of the year, rather than monsoon like downpours. Hence, all I tend to get are a few drips on my knee and no need for a towel. We do keep wellies in the boot of the car, though...

;-)

Old 02-03-2013, 06:44 AM
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

My conv. XK8 is just fine when I compare it to my MGB. There you get wet while driving...

Old 02-03-2013, 05:33 PM
Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts

I have to agree with Rev. Sam some days you are going to get WET!!!!!
20" main break, line maintains a constant 150 PSI.

Attached Images