Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rain Water Leak - RESOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 05:43 PM
Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Unhappy Rain Water Leak - RESOLVED

Horror story!
So a couple of months ago my hand brake cable snapped on my 2000 XKR Conv, I thought nothing of it as it's an automatic so it won't roll away and nearly 18 years old, anyway went to replace it last weekend to find out that for some considerable time the drivers side (UK car) floor pan had completely filled up with water and corroded the end of the cable off pretty much, I did not notice the water leak because the carpet underlay is so thick and spongy I had not noticed the water in the floor pan as all that sound insolation had soaked up all the water, it must of been like this since last summer I recon, made the floor rust so got to sort that next.
It's defo not the door seals and defo not coming from the side where the door is, appears that it coming in at the front around the bulkhead somewhere and causing a puddle under the pedals.
I have not fully removed the carpet yet hence why I can't see 100% where it's coming from but when it rains its trickling in the pedal area by the look of it. The carpet is lifted currently trying to dry it out and the seat is in my lounge lol.
Anyone had this and fixed it? I guess remove the scuttle panel next to see what's going on there, I think there are drain pipes around there somewhere? There's no water either side in the engine bay under the 2 covers where the fuses and the brake servo is so not 100% sure where this leak is coming from?
Help please

Last edited by GGG; 02-20-2018 at 02:16 AM. Reason: Add 'RESOLVED' to thread title
Old 02-15-2018, 03:12 AM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by PeterG
..... a couple of months ago my hand brake cable snapped on my 2000 XKR Conv, I thought nothing of it as it's an automatic so it won't roll away .....

..... anyway went to replace it last weekend to find out that for some considerable time the drivers side (UK car) floor pan had completely filled up with water .....
This is what is holding your vehicle when you put it in Park:

Rain Water Leak - RESOLVED-parking-pawl.jpg

If that little spring goes ...... so does your car.

The water is likely to be coming from blocked or detached AC drains. There's a drain tube comes down either side of the transmission bellhousing and exits beneath the car.

The tubes are known to detach so the AC condensate exits to the interior floor instead but they are also known to plug with mud at the bottom.

Worth checking under the car before tearing the interior apart. If they are blocked, a fine wire pushed into the end usually clears them.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
PeterG (02-16-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 03:49 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The roof channel is a sandwich if the roof and gutter strip screwed together with a seal between.
it can leak through that seal often due to rust and run down inside ending up at the front in the footwell. I spent hours trying fixes for the rubber doir seal before I tracked it down.
regards
john

PeterG (02-16-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 04:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 655 Likes on 463 Posts

I think you should get your car on a lift and have a look underneath. The area around where the front seats are is notorious for rust and rot, particularly in the UK due to a very stupid design feature (double skin) and it is quite possible that there's a fair amount of floor missing.
Also - check around the base of the windscreen - that's a fairly common place for rust in the UK, and water can then get into the interior of the car that way too.
This is a photo of the underside of my car before repairs - the yellow colour is the foam of the carpet !!

PeterG (02-16-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 07:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,502 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Also check the big bins on the firewall in the engine compartment. This is where the brake booster is, on one side. Reputedly, water can (or does) get in there and is supposed to drain from the bottom. If that drain somehow get plugged, water can rise in the bin and find its way inside the cabin. If you look around the top edge of the bin, there is a rubber hook on a peg that is somehow involved with that whole logic. It is worth looking in the detail, but a coat hanger would probably fix it.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

PeterG (02-16-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 02:02 PM

Well, going to tear it down further tomorrow, the whole interior if I have to, I mean it's half out already, then tip water over the front, it's defo rain water coming in, my money is on rust around the windscreen area, top of the bulk head somewhere, dreading finding out, I've done so much work on this car tackling rust and other peoples bodges it's killing me!

Old 02-19-2018, 02:04 PM

You were right! Top man, the inner channel from the roof was split on the drivers side sending the water inside the car at the bottom of the rubber instead of outside, bit of super glue then silicone seems to have fixed it been raining all day and not a drop inside the car! Took me a whole day to scrub out the rust from the floor inside and repaint, but found more rust under the windscreen trim, had to fix that too, just got to reassemble it all now and the scuttle tray etc etc, what a pain that all was, you just don't notice it until the floor fills right up with water the underlay is so thick and funny no condensation inside the car now either.

Thanks a lot problem solved

Last edited by PeterG; 02-19-2018 at 02:05 PM. Reason: spelling error
The following 3 users liked this post by PeterG:
DevonDavid (02-19-2018), GGG (02-20-2018), toaster (02-20-2018)