XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattle from the Back Deck area of a Coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 06:22 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Rattle from the Back Deck area of a Coupe?

Hi all,
Has anyone experienced a persistent problem of a rattle in the Back Deck area of a Coupe? I have eliminated everything in the trunk, as well as removing the Third Brake Light temporarily. I even put padding between the gas filler door and the gas cap to rule that out. The rear speaker seems perfectly fine. I pulled out the trunk liner to check the gas tank area, and found that everything is very solidly attached in there. That damn rattle still persists! I can hear it when I shut the trunk lid and when hitting potholes or reflectors embedded in the road. The rattle sounds like a "tinny" or "plastic" high pitched vibrating sound as opposed to a "clunk"..

Thank everyone in advance, I sure would like to put this problem to rest.
Regards,
Brian

PS The looks that you get while it appears that you are trying to escape out the back window while the wife intentionaly runs over the embedded reflecters are priceless!

Old 03-21-2009, 09:06 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Perhaps in the trunk, the spare tire and the styrofoam bowl that holds the tools isn't screwed down tight?

Old 03-21-2009, 09:49 AM
Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Try riding around in the back seat and listening, try both seats, with and without seat belts attached. You might be able to pinpoint the location better, or locate it be chance when your weight is on a certain part of the seat. Or a seat belt reel stops rattling when it is in the extended position.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:00 PM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

are you sure its not a bad shock.. (feels like it comes from the floor? )
ive also hade the rear monostrut mounting come off in the rear suspension.. behind the diff. it rattled like crazy

Old 03-22-2009, 06:26 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi guys,
Thank you so much for the replies and suggestions, I appreciate them all. Fortunately, my rattle problem has been resolved! As it turned out, the rattle emanated from the trunk lid area. A thorough lubrication of the trunk lid hinges, lid adjustment bolts and weather-stripping stopped it dead in it's tracks! My XKR is now extremely quiet inside.
Thanks again,
Brian

Old 02-18-2011, 01:08 PM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Brian, I have this plasticky bobbling rattle from my trunk/boot lid area in an S-type, and I'm being driven to the conclusion that it's something to do with the rubber sealing/weatherstrip around the opening being too soft. (I tried 'oiling' it with silicone -- no dice). With also the semicircular hinge pieces being so flexible in the lateral direction, I'm sure the lid is "wobbling" slightly fore and aft and side to side as the car is driven along certain kinds of bumpy roads. It seem to be temperature affected too, silent when dead-cold, rattling after a while with the heater on, disappearing again after an hour or so with a very warm interior. I thought it might be the lid being aluminium, but it's steel -- it's the bonnet/hood that's aluminium.
I'm now wondering if the hole for the swivel pin belonging to the left side hinge is worn, and appearing ok when the lid is open for checking?
Leedsman.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian2000XKR
Hi guys,
Thank you so much for the replies and suggestions, I appreciate them all. Fortunately, my rattle problem has been resolved! As it turned out, the rattle emanated from the trunk lid area. A thorough lubrication of the trunk lid hinges, lid adjustment bolts and weather-stripping stopped it dead in it's tracks! My XKR is now extremely quiet inside.
Thanks again,
Brian
Had the same problem with my car. Just adding a small dab of grease on top of the front adjustment bolts cured the problem. This a Metal to Metal connection and will make a noise even with a small amount of movement between the lid and the body.