XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ready to do front end.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 02:28 PM
Received 141 Likes on 125 Posts
Default Ready to do front end.....

I just ordered the kit from British Parts UK for the front suspension bushings. Just had a couple questions I didn't see answered in previous posts and I should have asked before ordering.
1. Can a person of average strength do this job? Most of your little sisters could probably beat me arm wrestling.
2. Is it best to remove one wishbone at a time, or can I completely disassemble and just leave the steering knuckles hanging from the springs by a wire?
I plan on taking everything to a shop to have the ball joints and bushings pressed in. Probably bring along a copy of the JTIS how-to pictures that they can ignore.
Thanks for any suggestions in advance
Mike

Old 06-16-2010, 02:46 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

those lower control arm bushings are a real PITA, my last mechanic that I paid to do the bushings, screwed up the first bushing, then just replaced the lower arm WITH the bushings already on it.

I know its too late for that now, just understand, there's quite a bit of work involved for those.

As for the rest of your questions..can't help ya, except to forward a challenge from my 13-yr old niece.

Old 06-17-2010, 12:12 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mike66
I just ordered the kit from British Parts UK for the front suspension bushings. Just had a couple questions I didn't see answered in previous posts and I should have asked before ordering.
1. Can a person of average strength do this job? Most of your little sisters could probably beat me arm wrestling.
2. Is it best to remove one wishbone at a time, or can I completely disassemble and just leave the steering knuckles hanging from the springs by a wire?
I plan on taking everything to a shop to have the ball joints and bushings pressed in. Probably bring along a copy of the JTIS how-to pictures that they can ignore.
Thanks for any suggestions in advance
Mike
I overhauled my front suspension last year. I bought a $250 20-ton press so I wouldn't have to pay someone else to do this work (that's called a "tool buying opportunity", or "how I get my wife to let me buy tools")

1) yes. I'm no hulk (but my sister is)
2) You can remove it all, upper and lower, left and right.
Remove the brake caliper and wire it to the subframe for support. Remove the caliper mount and rotor. The steering knuckle and hub assembly gets separated when you pop the ball joints. Disconnect the abs sensor wire and this assy comes out.

You are replacing the lower shock bushing too, right? This is most prone to wear. It is often the cause of the "klunking" feeling in the suspension. To replace this, the shock spring assy will need removal (not much more work after the control arms are out).

While you're at it, why not replace the stabilizer bar links and bushings, steering rack bushings, and tie rod ends? They're fairly easy and cheap. No pressing involved.

I did all of this on my 2000 XKR at 86k miles... and the handling difference was amazing.

Dan

Old 06-17-2010, 11:30 AM

Thanks for the reply. Yes I plan on doing the shock bushings too. The only ones not on my list are the tie rod ends, but as you say, as long as it's all apart why not. Question...does anyone know what size opening I need for the ball joint separator? I plan to get the screw type like the one in JTIS but want to make sure it will fit. BTW, maybe I should ship it all down to Texas to have it pressed in!

Old 06-17-2010, 11:48 AM

Thanks for the reply. Yes I plan on doing the shock bushings too. The only ones not on my list are the tie rod ends, but as you say, as long as it's all apart why not. Question...does anyone know what size opening I need for the ball joint separator? I plan to get the screw type like the one in JTIS but want to make sure it will fit. BTW, maybe I should ship it all down to Texas to have it pressed in!
Can't help with the screw-type separator ... but since you aren't trying to save the old ball joints, why not use a good old fashioned pickle fork and BFH? You can get a multi-size pickle fork set pretty cheaply at your local parts store. You should already have a BFH. Everyone should have a BFH.

Old 06-17-2010, 12:00 PM

... o and I forgot to mention that before you take all the stuff apart ...

1) Check the ride height on both sides to see if there is an issue with the upper shock mount. You may want to do this anyway since you'll have the shock/spring assys out. I didn't do this last year ... so now I get to do it this year.

2) Get a long-bristled brush and bucket of soapy water and clean the wheelwell and suspension of dirt and brake dust. I didn't do this either and the disassembly job was very dirty.

Dan

Old 06-17-2010, 06:36 PM

I have a salt water boat and the BFH is a standard tool...aka the Jaguar universal adjusting tool. Yeah, I'll clean things up and maybe some new paint as well if needed. So, the parts list is growing. I think those upper shock mounts are expensive, but if they look sketchy I'll replace them.
Thanks again for the input. BTW, didn't I see you alot on another forum?

Old 06-17-2010, 07:11 PM
Veteran member

mike, upper mounts are not that bad, in the overall scheme of things...you'll be thankful you did later, as they all get bad eventually, saggin, crumblin, clunkin, throwin off the camber (wearing your inner edge more), etc. Check with Ken@ motorcarsltd.com, he's got either the entire mount, or just the two pancake bushings you'll need (pretty sure on that last one?)

Old 06-17-2010, 07:29 PM

Okay, I can take a hint. I'll call Ken and see what my options are. Will let you all know.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:06 AM

BTW, didn't I see you alot on another forum?

Ummmm ... mayyyybe

Old 06-18-2010, 02:33 AM
Veteran member

That's where I've seen the name MrTexasDan before! I knew you looked/sounded familiar!

We're lucky to have you as a participant over here as well, as Brian stated in another thread.

When you're ready to share your story, you'll let us all know with an intro thread, right?

Old 06-18-2010, 11:48 AM

Thanks!

I'll write an intro later when I get a few minutes. It's a long tragic story though. It involves broken tensioners, worn out suspensions, BP-like oil spills, and Texas-sized hail !

Dan

Old 06-18-2010, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by h20boy
mike, upper mounts are not that bad, in the overall scheme of things...you'll be thankful you did later, as they all get bad eventually, saggin, crumblin, clunkin, throwin off the camber (wearing your inner edge more), etc. Check with Ken@ motorcarsltd.com, he's got either the entire mount, or just the two pancake bushings you'll need (pretty sure on that last one?)
http://www.motorcarsltd.com/mja2170bd.kit.html

Not too bad.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:50 PM

That hail must have helped the aerodynamics of the car (like a golf ball). Maybe it's the look of the future. At least you didn't hit a wild boar!
Ken, those bushings look like a lifetime solution. Do they just fit right in the existing metal bits? And, will I need a spring compressor to change that upper mount? I love how this project is growing slowly but surely. Petty soon I have a rotissery set up for the comlete restoration.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:47 PM

That hail must have helped the aerodynamics of the car (like a golf ball). Maybe it's the look of the future. At least you didn't hit a wild boar!
I recall we had a thread about dimpled aerodynamics (in another universe). I think the outcome was that we should be careful about declaring it an improvement, lest the insurance company declare it an increase in net value.

I love how this project is growing slowly but surely. Petty soon I have a rotissery set up for the comlete restoration.
Nah, you're already doing the hard stuff with the ball joints and bushings. The rest of this is just "while you're in there" stuff.

Speaking of "while you're in there" stuff, have you checked your wheel bearing play? The 97-99s are prone to wear. How are your front brakes holding up?

Old 06-19-2010, 07:20 AM

See what I mean? One more thing to worry about. I can't sleep as it is! I start disassembly this weekend, so keep you posted/look for additional pointers as I go along. Thanks all.
Mike