Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ready to Sell - need some value assistance

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 09:30 PM
Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ready to Sell - need some value assistance

Greetings!

My two year journey with my busted kitty has been a wonderful adventure. The time has now come to put it on the market and find another long term project, hopefully another Jaguar. It is a 2000 XKR convert in HRG with tan.

My question for this esteemed group is concerning the value added by the freshly rebuilt engine. Here is what was done.

The PO had spun several rod bearings, and messed up the crankshaft. So in the course of the rebuild, I replaced the crank and several rods, updating the rod bolts with ARPs, and of course all new bottom end bearings to spec. The pistons were good, but I had them anti-friction coated, and obtained custom gapless rings from Perfect Circle. All new gaskets were used in the assembly.

All the major bolts were replaced with new: head bolts, bottom end bolts, etc. The heads were freshened, and it got the latest tensioners, chains and ramps, as well as a new water pump of the latest version. In addition, a new 4.2 oil pump was added, and yes, the oil cooler went to Pacific for a complete clean and certification.

I can search general values based on the condition and mileage of the car, but none of the guides would take the fresh engine into consideration.

Please feel free to weigh in with your thoughts and estimates. I will likely be selling the car locally (Philly area), if that matters.

Thanks in advance.

TC

Old 06-24-2016, 05:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,801 Likes on 2,236 Posts

I don't think you can expect a premium, and may even find that buyers will not be willing to pay market value. If you owned a Jag shop and offered a warranty on the engine the situation would be different, but most buyers would prefer a low mileage replacement engine with new tensioners and chains.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,359 Likes on 2,850 Posts

^^ What he said....

Old 06-24-2016, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

Here in Cincy I have the same XK's sitting out on Craigslist for a LOOOOOONG time. Tells me they are not moving very well at all. I had mine up for awhile and got no hits on it and I have a huge paper trail of all the work I have done of which is all the major maint work that we all do on these.
Mine goes into the shop mondya for the trans flush and rear end diff fluid flush. At this point I am keeping the car now. In too deep to just lose my **** on a sale and it is the wife's car anyway. ha ha

Old 06-24-2016, 08:45 AM
Received 284 Likes on 211 Posts

I agree that you won't get a premium and will probably find it easier to sell if you don't mention all the work. As a buyer I'd always wonder about how well the car was looked after generally if it needed that work done.

Obviously things like the tensioners being done are a plus point, so should be mentioned.

Old 06-24-2016, 01:31 PM
Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the replies.

Sad to see that so much work and so many new parts would not carry some value. It is certainly no hardship to keep this wonderful car, and it was always my plan to drive the car once finished and enjoy it while for sale.

Still looking where to best list the car. Craigslist is where I originally found it, and where I search for the next one, but perhaps there are too many bottom feeders like me to get the most.

Thoughts?

TC

Old 06-24-2016, 02:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

I never thought to NOT mention all the work I had done. Perhaps folks that it was a bucket of bolts due to all that work. DAMN. ha ha ha

Old 06-28-2016, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 215 Posts

I'd keep it if you have the storage space. But if you have to sell, the nomenclature should read "well maintained" vs "rebuilt engine". Maintenance and expense records presented in an orderly and legible fashion always add value; document your claim of detailed maintenance history, and add credibility to you being an honest seller.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

If you can substantiate everything you claim with proper documentation as gordo stated, you can sell it as a well maintained car. On major diy work, photos help a lot. I wouldn't claim the work wasn't done, but rebuilding a broken component doesn't raise value too much. It's nice when the engine build mileage is less than the car, but unless you rebuilt all of the other automotive systems such as cooling, brakes, suspension, etc; you restarted the clock on only a piece(albeit a big one) of the puzzle.

If major work like this has been done, I like to see a reasonable amount of miles to ensure it was done right. My XKR was rear ended at one point, specifically in 04. No salvage just about 10k in damage. The repair was six years and 40k miles old when I bought it and looked very good, so no worries.