XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

RealGauge Installation Experience

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Default RealGauge Installation Experience

Having purchased an unusually fine '04 XK8 in March and not that knowledgeable with the "interesting" aspect of the breed I joined the forum and began to read every thing I could about my new joy and what can go wrong with one. Most of the items of concern I read about appeared to have been addressed by the past 2 POs, including green shower, water pump, thermostat, hoses, etc and a 60k service at the a TN Jaguar dealer(PO sent me detailed service records) 2 months before my obtaining the car.
My continuing research on the forum kept mentioning a add-on called a RealGauge. Again the engineer in me resulted in studying anything I could about the RG. I contacted TheJagWrangler.com and a few days later my RG arrived. My good friend & I commenced the installation. Cut to the chase-we are a couple of 70's+ retired guys with less than keen eyesight or surgeon's hands. The instructions are spot on, understandable, clear and detailed. We encountered a couple on hiccups where we didn't follow the instructions but a call to WhiteXKR set us straight. My '04 did not require calibration and the two step tests sailed through.
If you have an XK8 and have not yet installed a RG, I can't urge you strongly enough-order one, and btw, follow the instructions and you won't have difficulties.
Thank you WhiteXKR for your courtesy, helpfulness and quality. GET ONE NOW!

The following 5 users liked this post by Orthodixie:
Charbinjr (06-13-2017), Diddion (06-13-2017), GGG (06-13-2017), laguillotine (06-14-2017), sklimii (06-13-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,112 Likes on 933 Posts

So many of us have unresolved issues with the steering wheel tilt/reach drives it is worth noting that RG install is easy with the wheel fully back and down. Anything less than that makes the cluster removal/install a bit more of a challenge.

Message being fix your tilt/reach problem before doing the RG install.

The following 2 users liked this post by test point:
Charbinjr (06-13-2017), Orthodixie (06-13-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 03:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

My wheel will extend but is not reliable in tilt. I can trick her into moving a minor amount by repeatedly tapping the button a slight amount. I agree it I would be more difficult if you can't extend the wheel.