Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RealGauge Prize Progress!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 541 Likes on 353 Posts
Default RealGauge Prize Progress!

Jim suggested to me when I was lucky enough to win the RealGauge draw that I could perhaps do a couple of posts, one about the experience of fitting it and another giving my broader opinion on how the Forum experience has been for me - especially as I've only been a member since February!

My Forum experiences I've posted (belatedly!) in the New Member section and this will be the first of two or three threads on the RealGauge experience.

When the Prize Draw was announced, I felt that this was actually a material example of the friendliness and generosity that pervades the Forum generally!

Many have only their knowledge and experience to offer for the benefit of others, but the example of WhiteXKR in donating hardware was a novel and, for me particularly, a special extension of giving.

Having been lucky enough to win the draw, it was impressive how fast Jim and WhiteXKR were on the case ensuring that I knew I'd won and finding a correct address to deliver it to and getting the package into the delivery system! I kept wondering if it was all a dream!

Now that the kit itself has arrived, the dream, if it was, has come true! It had been despatched before I'd even got over the surprise of winning it and when it got here, in UK, there wasn't even any import tax charged.

Life can be good! It all came well protected in an extremely well packed box with all the various items bagged up in appropriate groups and for a guy like me, who revels in this sort of project work, the quality of the individual parts and the completeness of it all, right down to the last alcohol wipe and tiewrap suggests that fitting it will be a hassle free, enjoyable experience!

Whether you win this kit or buy it, you just have to be excited when it arrives and you open the box.

Couple of pictures here just to show you how it arrives and what you get:

Name:  3PackageasDelivered.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  46.8 KB

Name:  5ComponentsLaidOut.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  40.2 KB

The actual business of fitting the RealGauge module will come in due course and I'll try to give a good account of it, but let me say right here and now that the published instructions for fitting, by WhiteXKR, posted at his Jagwrangler website leave little to chance, guesswork or imagination; they are specific to the finest detail and if you go with this upgrade, you won't need any extra guidance from me!!

The prize of course includes the optional extra bits to extend the true gauge reading feature to the oil pressure gauge as well as the coolant temperature.

As my car has the satnav option, at first glance this would seem to be surplus to my requirements, but I don't intend to give up too easily on this one!

It's an awkward situation; despite its lack of updating, here in UK I don't find the satnav to be quite as bad as it's sometimes painted and at present I'm reluctant to remove it. I'm more inclined towards feeding a modern satnav into it as has been covered on this Forum, plus perhaps a reversing camera.

But I would like to have oil pressure indication and I definitely want the low pressure audible alarm aspect of RealGauge, so without wanting to worry WhiteXKR as to what I might do with it, I promise I won't compromise the kit!

A bit more exploratory work is required by me on how to best achieve this before I start that part of the installation

Give me a bit more time (as I keep asking my wife!) and I'll have the project underway and ready to post progress reports for your entertainment if nothing else!

Last edited by JimC64; 09-27-2012 at 12:35 PM. Reason: CREATE LINE BREAKS
The following users liked this post:
K.Westra (09-27-2012)
Old 09-27-2012, 09:16 AM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

UK members considering purchase will be interested to know if you were hit with a 'Customs Inspection Fee' as can often happen with imports from the US to the UK.

Graham

Old 09-27-2012, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Belated congrats astromorg!
I think as a prize there'd be (genuinely for once) no import duty/VAT to pay.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:50 AM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

Looking forward to the install posts.

It's good to know the tax man stayed clear.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:11 PM
Received 187 Likes on 129 Posts

Graham

Originally Posted by GGG
UK members considering purchase will be interested to know if you were hit with a 'Customs Inspection Fee' as can often happen with imports from the US to the UK.
I presume that as it was not purchased astromorg was lucky to get away without duty, as his quote:

Originally Posted by astromorg
It had been despatched before I'd even got over the surprise of winning it and when it got here, in UK, there wasn't even any import tax charged.

Be interesting to know what WhiteXKR put as the customs value when it was posted?

I read on another forum that a Realgauge cost about £27 for customs + handling. That forum is down at the moment so I can't check.

It is usual to pay VAT, Duty (depends on the value) and also a handling charge to the delivery company.

You can enter the various amounts here for a calculation:

Calculate your import duty in a few quick steps for free | DutyCalculator

The following users liked this post:
GGG (09-28-2012)
Old 09-27-2012, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,985 Likes on 2,124 Posts

Thanks for the great description of your experience so far Astromorg!

As for oil pressure on your navigation equipped car, RealGauge will give you a low oil pressure audible alarm even without the oil pressure sensor installed. This is based on the low oil pressure switch already in the vehicle.

If you want to keep your nav, and add an oil pressure gauge, your best bet is probably any one of a number of afftermarket oil pressure guages avaialble. You can mount it on the A-piilar or on top of the dash. The tee adapter and associated hardware in the RealGauge kit will still be invaluable for connecting the sensor to the engine. Usually aftermarket gauges come with their own sensor, so just make sure it is has 1/8 NPT threads to fit the adapter (this is the most common type).

Old 09-27-2012, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  19.3 KB

Astromorg - Thanks so much for sharing your experiences here with us, its really apprreciated.

Your comments on the site, the way its run and the members and the friendly attitude that prevails, puts a big smile on my face for sure.
Its one of the key attributes that we try to maintain & promote here.

The generosity of Steve ( WhiteXKR ) has been noted many times before, but your additional comments are most welcome.

Its been a real pleasure to work with Steve to bring these FREE products to the fantastic memberbase we have here.

Obviously we hope that we have helped in some way to promote the exciting and innovative products that he has designed and brought to market.
More owner members becoming aware and buying the products means it works for Steve too and everyone wins, which is great.

Thanks again for your post and look forward to the install