XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Rear clunking - lower shock bushings ordering?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts

Great work and thanks for reviving this thread. I read a lot above from 2011 but not much about actually doing the job. DIY...

Since it looks like you've done the job yourself are there any key pointers that you can share? You know, the whole hindsight 20/20,,, thing?

I had read somewhere about dropping everything a few inches. The framework for the irs,,, it mounts,,, to give a bit clearance for the shocks, springs and mount to drop and clear rotors easy... To get it up and over the rotor? Heard one talk about cutting a hole in the rear window dash,,, which sounds a little extreme,,, but hey - sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta...

Share Oh shock and spring wizard, share...

Old 06-25-2018, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 694 Likes on 490 Posts

I'm in the process of rebuilding the front shocks. I got the shock tower mount in fairly easily but the lower bushing that looked like hemitwists wouldn't come out. I used one of those hand tool presses and busted 3 knuckles before I gave up and took it to the local garage than takes care of my company cars.

I came back to the garage 2 hours after I dropped them off and even with a hydraulic press the mechanic had just finished. I noticed a new band-aid on his thumb too. When he asked if $30 sounded right I said no, when out to my car and brought back the beer I had just purchased for myself. Now $30 sounds right..

Old 06-26-2018, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts

When I did my front I took a one of the ball joint presses from auto zone and pushed them out. It was not easy, but not terrible... I damaged one of the new bushes putting them back in but realized my mistake, bought a third, and pushed them back in... There are many things that I wish now I'd brought to the local with the MACHINES! That will be in my future no doubt...

I need some lessons on the rears!?!?? Anyone???

Old 11-03-2020, 09:26 AM
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Remove rear brake caliper

showing the bolts on the back side of the rear brake caliper.

When compressing a coil spring it can be VERY dangerous! Do this then remove top plate nuts and lower shock bolt.

You remove ALL the nuts from the underside of the car. Can NOT get to them in the trunk.

This top shock plate comes out with the shock. Once the shock assembly is removed you keep your spring compressed and remove the top shock bolt. Be SAFE when dealing with a compressed spring! It can come apart and kill you! Do NOT just toss it on the floor or the spring compressor arms will come loose!!

This is what the body of the underside of the car looks like once the shock assembly is removed. This is the top shock plate mounting location. Can NOT get to it from the trunk. Underside of car only.

Removed some bolts to be able to drop the rear end a inch or so to be able to remove the rear shock assembly. I have a two post lift in my garage. Makes life a bit easier.

The bolts removed to be able to lower the rear end assemble. I did the work a couple years ago. Do not remember if i used a stand to hold the rear end in place or if it was safe and just lowered a bit and still hung in place? Do NOT just remove ALL bolts and let it drop on you or the floor.

Lower rear shock mounting bolt removed. Had to remove the rear sway bar bolt also.

Old 11-03-2020, 09:36 AM

Bolts and the plates that I removed to do the job. Hope this helps someone.

Old 11-03-2020, 09:49 AM

What it looked like after rear shock removed.

See how unsafe my spring compressor looks. Only one arm would catch the coil spring. Put a screw driver in the lower shock bolt hole to be able to collapse the rear shock enough to be able to remove it from the car. Without collapsing's the shock, it will be way to long to remove.

Rear suspension hanging in place.

New parts. I forget but the car only had around 50,000 miles on it when i did the work. That is rather disappointing it needed done so soon!!!!

New shock assembly ready to reinstall.

Putting back together. I did not mention many things like unplug the rear brake wheel speed senor. Be safe! Hope this helped out at least one of y'all. I would say the hardest part was compressing the coil spring and not loosing any fingers. Be safe.

Old 11-03-2020, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,390 Likes on 2,866 Posts

Looks like you went with KYB upper shock mounts. Are they poly?