XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Rear differential to posi traction

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 06:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by weisberg
Can someone clarify the relationship of changing the rear axle ratio and rear differentials including limited slip differentials (LSD) ?

Rear axle ratio change requires a new differential?

I don't understand parts and labor for this versus supercharger upgrade costs...

Goal is much snappier 0-50 as launch off-the line when I'm first at the light is the big thrill I get with my XKR (besides its beautiful appearance inside + out).
Assuming that the transmission is in 4th gear (1.0 ratio I believe) and you have the stock 3.06 rear axle ratio, the rear wheels turn 3.06 times for every revolution of the drive shaft. So if you increase the rear axle ratio, the rear wheels will turn more per rpm. This makes you quicker off the line (i.e. at a stop light). It essentially shifts the torque and power curves down to where you hit the peak at a lower speed. However, it reduces your top end. This has never been a big deal to me since my 2002 XKR’s top end is 175 mph (according to Jaguar) but is limited by the engine control module (ECM) to 155 mph. In addition, I run out of b*lls far before I hit even 155 mph. The higher rear axle ratio makes you quicker 0 to 30 mph, 30 mph to 100 mph, etc. I think this is what you are looking for.

Supercharger (s/c) mods increase power in the mid-range, say 30 mph to 120 mph. Because a s/c is belt driven by the engine, there is no lag as there is with a turbo charger (t/c), which use exhaust gases to spin the turbine. Both s/c and t/c work by forcing more air into the combustion chamber, thereby allowing more gas to be burned, which in turn produces more power. Because a s/c is driven off the engine, it reduces the top end because power that would otherwise be available to the rear wheels is used by the s/c. A t/c increases your top end, but is not as effective as a s/c in the 0 to 30 mph or 0 to 60 mph in increasing the quickness or acceleration of the car.

A LSD basically causes both wheels to be turned by the drive shaft instead of just one. This gives you more traction and hence less potential to, as we used to say when I was a kid, “burn rubber”. More of the power goes into actual acceleration.

Because I knew I would upgrade the s/c, I opted to first add an LSD (and there are several available for our cars with various advantages and disadvantages). Since installing the LSD required disassemble of the rear differential anyway, I choose to increase the rear axle ratio at the same time. I went with a 3.27 rear axle ratio because I found one another forum member was selling and, our cars are GTs, and I didn’t want to reduce my gas mileage too much. As it is, I went from about 22 to 24 mpg to about 19 or 20 mpg.

I am very happy with my results. I can basically smoke any car I want (except an exotic) at a red light and the car still has reasonable gas mileage.

Mark

Last edited by mjlaris; 11-23-2013 at 06:53 AM. Reason: fixed formatting
Old 11-23-2013, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Originally Posted by mjlaris
[COLOR=black]Assuming that the transmission is in 4th gear (1.0 ratio I believe) and you have the stock 3.06 rear axle ratio, the rear wheels turn 3.06 times for every revolution of the drive shaft. So if you increase the rear axle ratio, the rear wheels will turn more per rpm. This makes you quicker off the line (i.e. at a stop light). It essentially shifts the torque and power curves down to where you hit the peak at a lower speed.
Sorry ... but no.

With a 3.06 rear axle ratio, the driveshaft will turn 3.06 times for each revolution of the rear wheels in any gear, not the other way around.

Changing to a 3.27 has the effect of lowering the torque peak in relation to wheel revolutions, but it is really about torque multiplication and leverage. A gear set is as much a lever as a bar on a fulcrum. It just works differently.

The torque multiplication/leverage is compounded by the transmission. Thus, multiply the transmission gear ratio by the final drive gear ratio to calculate the overall gear ratio. Of course, tire diameter also comes into play. The smaller the tire diameter, the better the leverage.

Horse power is simply a derivative calculation of torque, but torque is king when it comes to acceleration.

Old 11-23-2013, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by plums
Sorry ... but no.

With a 3.06 rear axle ratio, the driveshaft will turn 3.06 times for each revolution of the rear wheels in any gear, not the other way around.

Changing to a 3.27 has the effect of lowering the torque peak in relation to wheel revolutions, but it is really about torque multiplication and leverage. A gear set is as much a lever as a bar on a fulcrum. It just works differently.

The torque multiplication/leverage is compounded by the transmission. Thus, multiply the transmission gear ratio by the final drive gear ratio to calculate the overall gear ratio. Of course, tire diameter also comes into play. The smaller the tire diameter, the better the leverage.

Horse power is simply a derivative calculation of torque, but torque is king when it comes to acceleration.

I stand corrected. Mechanical Engineering was never my strong suite; I'm a Nuclear Engineer and am more comfortable with the neutron diffusion equation. I knew that the torque curve was lowered because I can feel it every time I step on the gas.

Mark

Old 11-23-2013, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by plums
Sorry ... but no.

And now we know why 1/4 mile drag race guys love 4.88 gears!

Old 11-24-2013, 09:50 AM
Received 256 Likes on 176 Posts
The following users liked this post:
weisberg (11-24-2013)
Old 11-24-2013, 10:34 AM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Quaife LSD vs XJR 6cy diff for XKR 2002?

THANK YOU Jack's Tranmissions. I'm 1.25 hours away in Denver so I may be visiting.

Three questions I hope someone can answer.

1. If you want a different rear ratio for stronger pull down low, can you keep the existing differential to save $?

2. What is the difference between what the Quaife LSD would provide vs the rebuilt XJR 6cyl diff that some have obtained from Coventry West? Quaife cost for parts appears to be $1500 (mjlaris) vs. Coventry $1300 (incl mount plate and shipping).

3. What do other LSD suppliers provide by comparison such as Aisen and OS Giken (?spelling?)?

Old 11-24-2013, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member

Very interesting but remember, if you have a Mercedes transmission (2002 or before) then changing rear axle ratio requires reprogramming the transmission control module. There is a place in Germany (with offices in New York City) that can do this reprogramming (do a search of this forum for a link, I can't remember it). However, it is my understanding the reprogramming is very expensive (on the order of $2k).

Mark

The following users liked this post:
weisberg (11-24-2013)
Old 11-24-2013, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 263 Likes on 203 Posts

Here is the link to get the Mercedes TCM reprogrammed.

Automotive Tuning and Electronic Engineering. ECU programming and tuning

Old 11-24-2013, 12:46 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So I have a 2004 XKR and will not need a TCM reprogram - what is the cheapest way to move to a 3.27? Can I buy the rear end from a Mexican XKR?

Old 11-24-2013, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bluetone
So I have a 2004 XKR and will not need a TCM reprogram - what is the cheapest way to move to a 3.27? Can I buy the rear end from a Mexican XKR?
You have to stay with your current setup as you have a ZF 6 speed. I know of someone in the UK working on a solution. I will find out how he is doing with it.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:01 AM
Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by JgaXkr
You have to stay with your current setup as you have a ZF 6 speed. I know of someone in the UK working on a solution. I will find out how he is doing with it.
So what going on. Still no solution for us 6 speed guys?

Old 08-16-2014, 07:35 AM
Received 4,457 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Originally Posted by Loxmth
+1, you know this is killing me....

Old 08-16-2014, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,108 Likes on 764 Posts

Cambo, did you find out what the problem in your diff was and get it sorted?

Old 08-16-2014, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Loxmth
He was working on modified ABS rings, the problem was it effected the speedo. I am not sure where he left off on this but will ask.

Old 08-17-2014, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by ccfulton
Cambo, did you find out what the problem in your diff was and get it sorted?
Yes Charlie, it was the pinion bearing, chewed to bits. Turns out when the workshop in Switzerland put in the Quaife they over-torqued the pinion nut which loaded up the bearing. All sorted now.

He was working on modified ABS rings, the problem was it effected the speedo. I am not sure where he left off on this but will ask.
It's worth asking.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:17 AM
Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Bump.
Please tell me he is making progress. This is one mod I really want to do.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo351
It's worth asking.
Ford Racing Products now has a 2nd gen box that does all they lying for you.

The first one would do this too, but the 2nd gen is better.

Still won't fix the speedo problem unless you can split the signal to the
speedo, or run a separate circuit to drive only the stepper moter on
the speedo needle. I suspect the remainder of the ICM still needs the
"corrected" speed.

It's in the FRP catalog under differential accessories.

Looking at the catalog, you can only dream that Jaguar would ever offer
that level of aftermarket motor sports support.

If your ABS sensors are compatible, and they ought to be, you are
good to go.

Old 03-13-2015, 12:00 AM

In the meantime there might be a solution for the X350 owners.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ng-sdd-130103/

Seems that the diff ratio is indeed managed by the ECU, not the TCM, in the X350 at least...

Old 03-13-2015, 12:19 AM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts
Default GPS Speedo

A way to fix the speedo problem is an aftermarket GPS speedo. Since I have a 2004 I'm waiting for someone else to try the newer model diff change so I can learn from their experience.

I'm still looking to try to convert to a full digital dash.

Amazon.com: GPS Head-Up Display Speedometer (quick and easy installation): Automotive Amazon.com: GPS Head-Up Display Speedometer (quick and easy installation): Automotive

http://www.mguk.org/users/1913/20/60/23/album/n1a10.jpg

Old 03-13-2015, 12:44 AM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts
Default ABS Rings

Aren't the ABS rings on the wheels? Changing the axle ratio should have no impact on the relation of the wheels to the road just the engine to the wheels. Is there something I'm missing?

Quick Reply: Rear differential to posi traction