Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Fog lights to Stop Light Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts
Default Rear Fog lights to Stop Light Conversion

As living in Hawaii I have absolutely no use for the rear Fog lights I decided to convert them to Stop lights.

I have the Victory Tail light housings and as the Fog/Running/Stop lights are all lined up in circles I though having the Fog light circle never doing anything was useless and added visibility when braking is always a plus.

The attached drawing shows how to do this, it's very simple and as we are dealing with switching a ground there are no issues with messing anything up.

You can wire the system to work normally with the Rear Fog lights activating with the dash switch and the brake light switch or you can cut the connection to the Fog light dash switch and have them just activate with the brake lights. Your choice, see attached drawing.

These connections also maintain the wiring integrity of each circuit and actually provides a redundant circuit for the brake lights as the brake lights and Fog lights are switched thru two different circuits with separate fuses so if a brake light fuse blows the Fog lights still work as brake lights.

If you choose to use the diode be sure to wire it in the correct polarity. Don't worry you can't hurt anything if it's back-wards. I did it this way as I like everything to work as stock with enhancements. Plus I can still flash my Rear Fog lights separately from the brake lights to get tailgaters off my butt!

When installed correctly pressing on the brake pedal will activate both the regular brake lights and the Fog lights. Turning on the Rear Fog lights will activate the Fog lights only.

If the diode is reversed pressing on the brake pedal will activate the regular brake lights only. Turning on the Rear Fog lights will activate both the regular brake lights and the Fog lights, you don't want this. Just reverse the diode. I used quick connects for the wiring so just unplug each side of the diode and turn it around. {I actually wired mine back-wards the first time and can confirm there will be no damage if this happens}

Now

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
The following 5 users liked this post by Jandreu:
ccfulton (07-19-2014), cjd777 (07-19-2014), jonscot (07-20-2014), sklimii (07-19-2014), test point (07-19-2014)
Old 07-19-2014, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Good thought but what did you do about white vs red light? I would suspect that the white fog lamps would not be legal since a broken red lens will get you a ticket around here.

Old 07-19-2014, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by test point
Good thought but what did you do about white vs red light? I would suspect that the white fog lamps would not be legal since a broken red lens will get you a ticket around here.
To which White lamps are you referring. The only white lights on the rear are reversing lights and therefore not affected by this mod. The front fogs are white and fed from a separate switch and therefore not affected by this mod.

Your statement above is rather confusing.

Old 07-19-2014, 03:27 PM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts
Default Red bulbs

You are correct in most places a white stop light would be a code violation but you can replace the white bulb with a red one and that should solve the problem. (Of course I just read Jim's note and he is right the fogs in back aren't white, I've actually never used the rear fog lights, we used to get lots of fog here but now not so much). I'm actually thinking of swapping the front fogs out for high powered Infrared lights since I have an FLIR front mounted military grade camera on the car. We'll see how it goes.

Last edited by enderle; 07-19-2014 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jimbov8
To which White lamps are you referring. The only white lights on the rear are reversing lights and therefore not affected by this mod. The front fogs are white and fed from a separate switch and therefore not affected by this mod.

Your statement above is rather confusing.
Exactly

Old 07-19-2014, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Since I have never used the rear fog lights I just made the assumption that they were white as were the front. They are red! Guess I have to go to Radio Shack Monday for a couple of diodes.

Why hadn't someone done this 10 years ago?

Old 07-19-2014, 07:15 PM
Default This is my taillight mod.

It is a tad more involved... You should see what I did to the headlights...

Attached Thumbnails Rear Fog lights to Stop Light Conversion-taillight5.jpg   Rear Fog lights to Stop Light Conversion-taillight3.jpg   Rear Fog lights to Stop Light Conversion-tailight2.jpg   Rear Fog lights to Stop Light Conversion-taillight-1.jpg   Rear Fog lights to Stop Light Conversion-wp_20140201_11_56_41_pro.jpg  

Old 07-19-2014, 08:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,107 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by enderle
You are correct in most places a white stop light would be a code violation but you can replace the white bulb with a red one and that should solve the problem. (Of course I just read Jim's note and he is right the fogs in back aren't white, I've actually never used the rear fog lights, we used to get lots of fog here but now not so much). I'm actually thinking of swapping the front fogs out for high powered Infrared lights since I have an FLIR front mounted military grade camera on the car. We'll see how it goes.
That should be also effective against LIDAR speed guns.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:13 PM
Veteran Member

Rob you are in a league of your own when it comes to mods.. I only had 2 bucks to spend on the diodes...

Old 07-20-2014, 12:03 AM
Default Smarter than I am

I just think that shows you are smarter than I am.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 682 Likes on 554 Posts

So...how about some pictures to show this mod in action?

Old 07-20-2014, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member

Here ya go...

Would be easy enough to see how this looks on your car by turning on the Fog lights and pressing the brake pedal.. yes I know the rule, no pictures, it didn't happen!

Attached Thumbnails Rear Fog lights to Stop Light Conversion-image.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by Jandreu:
ccfulton (07-20-2014), Jag#4 (07-20-2014)
Old 07-20-2014, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Jandreu
Here ya go...

Would be easy enough to see how this looks on your car by turning on the Fog lights and pressing the brake pedal.. yes I know the rule, no pictures, it didn't happen!
Except you would have to have your headlights on also so all three (brake, tail, fog) would be on. This is a pretty cool mod. I just need to decide if I want to do it.

Old 05-22-2022, 02:03 AM
no1
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Amazing

i know this post is rather old but do u mind sharing how you did that to your tail lights?
Ive sesrched endlessly to find tailights online that would be custom and stand out from the norm but keep coming up empty or they cost an arm and a leg

Old 05-23-2022, 02:40 PM

The headlights and taillights were modified by the then local car stereo shop in San Jose, CA. They took the lights apart with a heat gun to soften the glue and then installed the LED elements inside. Then a sequencer unit was installed in the trunk that sequenced the LEDs, so they worked like Mustang taillights when the turn signals were used. I've since given that car to my brother, who lives in Southern California. It wasn't a cheap date, but they looked awesome when finished. Car Stereo shops often can do a lot of fabrication and I was lucky to find one close by that could do this work. The guy that did the work left the shop (ran into him where I live not in Oregon, and he isn't in the business anymore). But, I'm sure, there are other shops that can do this.