XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

rear lower shock bearing for 03 XKR

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 10:21 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default rear lower shock bearing for 03 XKR

My mechanic said my right rear lower shock bearing is bad!! Replacement cost for the part $125.00. My XKR has the super sport suspension with adaptive dampening and Brembo brakes. I checked the Forums parts list and I can not locate the part they are talking about. Does anybody have any idea what this is or where to find a diagram showing it? Has any other XKR owner had this replaced? Should you do them in pairs or just replace the bad one? The car has 52,000 miles.

Bill N
03 XKR

Old 08-08-2012, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts
The following users liked this post:
wcnesta (08-08-2012)
Old 08-08-2012, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 910 Likes on 483 Posts

I did mine a few weeks back, total cost was about £15, I bought the bush on ebay. Just do the bad one.

How to with pics here.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ent-how-76345/

wcnesta (08-08-2012)
Old 08-08-2012, 02:24 PM

I am talking about the rear shock lower bearing not the bushing. Does a bearing exist on the XKR lower shock assy? It doesn't show up on the drawings that I looked at.

Bill N

Old 08-08-2012, 02:50 PM
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

The only part on the lower part of that assembly is a bushing. it is also a common failure.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by margate69
The only part on the lower part of that assembly is a bushing. it is also a common failure.
Maybe the mechanic was referring to the "Muffler Bearing".

Old 08-09-2012, 08:54 AM

I think I found out by looking at Racediagnostics pictures what they are talking about. The back shock attachés to a mounting bracket #1 via a bushing which is standard. This mounting bracket #2 attachés to the wheel assy via a bearing #1, which is pressed in. I sent this picture to my mechanic for verification.

Bill N
03 XKR

My mechanic just called it is not that assembly. It is the bottom shock bushing/bearing??

Paul I think I will have him check the muffler bearing tooo.

Attached Thumbnails rear lower shock bearing for 03 XKR-untitled2.jpg  

Last edited by wcnesta; 08-09-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

I have the same problem, my car is in th eshop right now to replace both bushings. I got the parts from SNG Barrett in New Hampshire for about $60 each. This company has good prices and fast shipping, I have had good luck with them.

wcnesta (08-09-2012)
Old 08-09-2012, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by oldmots
I have the same problem, my car is in th eshop right now to replace both bushings. I got the parts from SNG Barrett in New Hampshire for about $60 each. This company has good prices and fast shipping, I have had good luck with them.

Were your shock bushings all rubber or did they have a bearing with a rubber sleeve covering it?

Bill N

Old 08-09-2012, 03:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 910 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by wcnesta
I think I found out by looking at Racediagnostics pictures what they are talking about. The back shock attachés to a mounting bracket #1 via a bushing which is standard. This mounting bracket #2 attachés to the wheel assy via a bearing #1, which is pressed in. I sent this picture to my mechanic for verification.

Bill N
03 XKR

My mechanic just called it is not that assembly. It is the bottom shock bushing/bearing??

Paul I think I will have him check the muffler bearing tooo.

OK, that is the hub carrier bearing, I have had this changed too, if you have 9-3 o'clock movement on your wheel this needs changing.

This does not need a press to replace, prize out the inner sher and conical race, the you need to nock out the outer shell with a bent cold chissel, and then tap in the new bearings.

Hub Carrier Bearing Kit - CAC5846XKIT | Jaguar XJ8 - XJR, Jaguar XK8 - XKR | Jaguar | British Parts UK

wcnesta (10-09-2012)
Old 08-09-2012, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member

The lower shock bushing is metal with a rubber boot on each side. The boot is held on by a type of spring. This bearing is pricey because it is internally spherical, to allow for more movement. By the way, the shop called and said the bearings were okay, the rattle is from something else, they think it was a loose rear bumper beam. I have not heard the final thing on it.

wcnesta (08-09-2012)
Old 08-09-2012, 07:33 PM

The lower shock bushing is metal with a rubber boot on each side. The boot is held on by a type of spring. This bearing is pricey because it is internally spherical, to allow for more movement. By the way, the shop called and said the bearings were okay, the rattle is from something else, they think it was a loose rear bumper beam. I have not heard the final thing on it.

I am pretty sure this is that they are talking about. They want $120 each for them. I am only going to have the bad one replaced. Thanks for your input it helped a lot.

Bill N

Old 08-10-2012, 03:23 PM
Veteran Member

Final is that I was right, the right lower bushing was bad, but I had both of them replaced. The parts were $120 and the shop charged $350 labor. Worth every dime to me, who hates to work under the car. The rear bumper beam was also loose and making slight rattling as well. All is quiet now. I am lucky in my town that a racing machine shop also works on Jags and do scrupulous work. I love to go there and look aat the racing machines they are always building for Watkins Glen and Road America. Today they had two classic Lolas being updated to modern specs..amazing. Big V8s with quad Webers on top, like the 60's.

wcnesta (08-10-2012)
Old 08-10-2012, 05:43 PM

Final is that I was right, the right lower bushing was bad, but I had both of them replaced. The parts were $120 and the shop charged $350 labor. Worth every dime to me, who hates to work under the car. The rear bumper beam was also loose and making slight rattling as well. All is quiet now. I am lucky in my town that a racing machine shop also works on Jags and do scrupulous work. I love to go there and look at the racing machines they are always building for Watkins Glen and Road America. Today they had two classic Lolas being updated to modern specs..amazing. Big V8s with quad Webers on top, like the 60's.
I am only going to have the bad one done for now. It seems like my passenger side got a lot of hard use. I still have a slightly leaking front shock, on that side, to do next spring. I plan to have both fronts shocks replaced together. That garage sounds like a place I would like to hang around and watch them work. I had a garage like that in my home town back in my high school days and spent a lot of time there learning how to fix cars. Thanks for your input.

Bill N

Old 10-09-2012, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 278 Likes on 171 Posts
Smile Need help with front LOWER shock bushing.

On my 2000 XK8 the front lower shock bushings are bad and need to be replaced. The upper shock mounts appear to be in great condition. Just the lower bushings. I watched Rev Sam video on replacing the upper mount. But that requires complete removal of the strut which is a lot of work. As I recall there was a tool made by a member in the UK that allowed you to press out the old bushing and press in the new one with the strut just disconnected at the bottom.

I have two questions. Does anyone on this side of the pond have that same tool? And if so would they consider loaning it or renting it?

And second. Where can you buy just the lower shock bushing. All my contacts don't have it listed and require you to buy the entire shock which is not required. With only 47,000 miles on the car the shocks are functioning fine, except they are a little too stiff.

Any help would be appreciated.

wcnesta (10-09-2012)
Old 10-09-2012, 10:34 PM

I have not had the shock bearing replaced yet. I can not hear any indication of something going bad on the back shock. I am not sure why my garage says I have a bad bearing back there. I do not hear any rattles or strange noises coming from the rear end. I did have a couple of fold up chairs back there when I had most of the bushings replaced. I am wondering if the fold up chairs were rattling around which made them think I had a problem!! What kind of indication would you get when these start to go bad?

Bill N
03 XKR

Old 10-10-2012, 03:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

EZDriver,
The tool is for the rear shock bushes.