XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Rear Quarter Glass Adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 08:59 AM
Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Rear Quarter Glass Adjustment?

Good morning/afternoon to all!

I've got a noise that occurs when going over bumps in the road that seems to be coming from where the rear quarter glass meets the upper rubber seal on the driver's side. It's quite annoying as it's right by my ear. If I push outward on the top of the glass, it subsides.

I've adjusted the driver's side glass as per Rev. Sam's video and other sources but I can't open the link in the How To/ DIY sticky ( and I could never download the JTIS after many tries) on rear glass adjustment.

Can someone please send a pdf of the JTIS page or guide me through the adjustment?

Thanks
Nick

Old 03-07-2014, 09:50 AM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

The rubber and trim on that window is slightly deformed on very one of these cars that I've seen in person (4-5). I've suspected mine being the source of a squeak too but it went away and now the only squeak I have not solved can only be heard when the windows are down. Replacing that rubbery bit is $250 alone, just inquired the other day about it.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 403 Posts

I think there may already be some pages posted at the FAQ or DIY thread that shows all the possible adjustment points for the front and rear windows. As far as I know the JTIS shows two basic adjusting screws for the rear quarter window and if it is not already posted somewhere here I will try to remember to find it in my JTIS.

I have concluded I need to fool around with the rear quarter window adjustment in order to eliminate the gap where the front of this window meets the rear of the main window. But I think you have to remove the rear seat and the rear quarterpanel trim to get to the adjusting screws. I had asked in the past if anyone knew whether or not these were accessible by merely removing the top cap piece but never got an answer so this is still on my list of niggling to-do's on the car.

Doug

Old 03-07-2014, 02:26 PM

This is the only link that I found that mentions the rear quarter windows, taken from the How To/DIY stickey:

"Rear Quarter Glass Adjustment (from the JTIS) did you know there are three (3) different adjustments for that small piece of glass?!?"

I've googled it and searched for it on our forums, and although there is a ton of info on front window adjustment, I can't find anything on rear quarter window adjustment on a convertable.

SeismicGuy, have you tried adjusting the main window to fill the gap between the two?

Old 03-07-2014, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Here are the rear and front adjustment docs. There can be some interaction between the two.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
rearqu.pdf (829.0 KB, 424 views)
File Type: pdf
window adjustments.pdf (611.7 KB, 304 views)
The following users liked this post:
Spinedoc2304 (03-07-2014)
Old 03-07-2014, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Spinedoc2304
This is the only link that I found that mentions the rear quarter windows, taken from the How To/DIY stickey:

"Rear Quarter Glass Adjustment (from the JTIS) did you know there are three (3) different adjustments for that small piece of glass?!?"

I've googled it and searched for it on our forums, and although there is a ton of info on front window adjustment, I can't find anything on rear quarter window adjustment on a convertable.

SeismicGuy, have you tried adjusting the main window to fill the gap between the two?

Yes--I tried a number of times and the problem seems to be more inboard-outboard versus front-back. I did the easy-to-get-to adjustment on the front glass shown in RevSam's video but was not able to entirely eliminate the gap so I think I will need to concentrate on the quarterwindow. I was wrong in my first post in that as shown in WhiteXKR's attachments there are actually 3 adjusting nuts and not 2. The adjustment that would pertain to my problem is shown on page 10 (Illustration E35951) of the rear quarter window pdf. I was hoping that it might be possible to get to one or more of the adjusting nuts without having to tear apart the entire interior.

Doug

Old 03-07-2014, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Here are the rear and front adjustment docs. There can be some interaction between the two.

Thank you very much!!! Now I don't have to drive around with that annoying squeek in my left ear