XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Rear Seat Space in XK8 and XKR

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 01:19 PM
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

I've posted this story before so forgive me for repeating, but it fits this thread. It's about what happened on a lovely, sunny evening a few days after I got my XK8 convertible. A friend and his wife dropped by the house, so I took him out for a little spin in the new cat. When we returned, his wife kidded us by saying: "Well, I suppose you've been out picking up chicks!" I told her that we had tried to, but they all had long, beautiful legs and we just couldn't fit them into the back seat.

Cheers,

The following users liked this post:
ScoopXK8 (12-21-2022)
Old 04-25-2011, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,261 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by xk8+xj8l
i've posted this story before so forgive me for repeating, but it fits this thread. It's about what happened on a lovely, sunny evening a few days after i got my xk8 convertible. A friend and his wife dropped by the house, so i took him out for a little spin in the new cat. When we returned, his wife kidded us by saying: "well, i suppose you've been out picking up chicks!" i told her that we had tried to, but they all had long, beautiful legs and we just couldn't fit them into the back seat.

cheers,
lmao!!! That's awesome!

ScoopXK8 (12-21-2022)
Old 04-25-2011, 11:10 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I managed to get two 12 year old girls in the back yesterday. My 12 year old daughter, 5'5" sat in the passenger seat and pulled it forward. Her friends sat in the back, the one behind her was able to sit normally, if not a little cramped. Since I am 6'1" my seat was all the way back, so the other girl sat with her legs crossed behind me. She was able to wear her seat belt.

They were cramped, but it was a nice sunny day and we had the top down. It was fun and they loved it. It helped that I let my daughter connect her Iphone and pick the music. We drove around for several hours with the music blasting and the subwoofer set to max. They loved it. So did I.

Is it a practical back seat? No. Is it useable? Depends on who is back there.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:40 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I think Jaguar co by putting the back set in , may be saving us some insurance premiums don't you think?

ScoopXK8 (12-21-2022)
Old 04-26-2011, 03:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My kids (twin 6 yrs olds) chose to ride to the house with a family friend in her Mini Cooper convertible the other night because it had more room in the back seat. I bet that car weighs half what our Jag does.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tiko89
My kids (twin 6 yrs olds) chose to ride to the house with a family friend in her Mini Cooper convertible the other night because it had more room in the back seat. I bet that car weighs half what our Jag does.
Your twins obviously have poor taste. You should spank them and then punish them. And then spank them some more. Then you should act very sad, like they have disappointed you. Then you should spank them some more. You need to nip this in the bud. If not, soon they'll be smoking pot, or chewing gum in front of the queen. This is a slippery slope. Do the right thing...

Old 05-14-2011, 01:05 PM
Received 43 Likes on 18 Posts
Default It is possible...

This is a "Siege Auto Speedway" seat, for 9-25Kg (about 20-50 lbs) or Europe groups 1/2/3 installed in the back of my new 2006 XKR. I bought the seat in the UK several years ago for my older son when we couldn't get our normal car seat into the back of a car we borrowed in the UK. We now use it as a "travel seat" for my younger son, when we are traveling etc.

It was the cheapest thing they had in the catalog retailer "Argos" (found all over the UK) although I cannot see it for sale anywhere anymore. I'm pretty sure it is legal but clearly not up to the same standards as more expensive models. I really only use it on short trips as we have a bigger car (with a better car seat) for when we all want to travel as a family.

Sorry for being a total n00b here but I can't figure out how to attach the photo if I don't have it uploaded somewhere else??

Hope this helps,

Marc

Old 05-14-2011, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member

marcgr, you need 10 post plus three days as a member to post pictures.

Is this the one you're talking about?

marcgr (05-15-2011)
Old 05-14-2011, 02:54 PM
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

The only 12 year old that will fit comfortably in the back seat of my XKR is a bottle of Scotch...

The following 2 users liked this post by cpm53:
Silver2002XKR (12-18-2021), Stamford (02-18-2023)
Old 05-14-2011, 02:59 PM
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

IMHO the XK8 is a two seater. I had my 6 year old grandson is the back yesterday and he said "this is the smallest thing I've ever seen". He loves my car but not the back seat.

Old 05-14-2011, 03:05 PM
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by cpm53
The only 12 year old that will fit comfortably in the back seat of my XKR is a bottle of Scotch...
Yes! And you can fit more than a couple. Makes me want to ship my XK8 over to the Highlands and go on a tour of the Whisky Trail.

Single Malt or a Blend?????

Old 05-15-2011, 08:17 AM
Default This is the one...

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
marcgr, you need 10 post plus three days as a member to post pictures.

Is this the one you're talking about?

Yes, that's it! I guess when I get enough seniority I can show the picture of it installed in the car. There's not a lot of extra room but it does fit and the roof will go up and down with it installed.

Having just picked up the Jag on Friday, I took the family to a party last night and was mocked for having a child seat in the back. I'm sure they were all just jealous as they drove home in their minivans!

Just to rub it in I reminded everyone that I paid $10K less for my XKR than they did for their new Canyoneros, and for the record, I gave 2 rides in my car and I believe there were zero requests for rides in minivans.

Thanks Rev. Sam, I am also reading your FAQ on cleaning the wheel speed sensors as I have the intermittent ABS/DSC warning (which conveniently didn't come up when I test-drove the car...) You rock!!

Beg3yrs: Malt only please! Islay if possible!

Marc

Old 05-15-2011, 09:31 AM
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by marcgr

Beg3yrs: Malt only please! Islay if possible!

Marc
You betcha! Bowmore Mariner is my personal favorite. Must be a Jaguar owner thing.

"There are no bad whiskys, just some better than others."

Old 05-16-2011, 08:30 AM
BeO
Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by marcgr
Malt only please! Islay if possible!
Seems like Jag owners have great taste, and not only in cars

Reminds me I should get a new bottle of Ardbeg...

Old 05-16-2011, 08:40 PM

Hey, I have forum privileges now! Here's the Speedway seat installed in the car:

Old 05-16-2011, 09:13 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Your son must be a double-amputee. I'm sorry to hear that

Now was he adopted from a war-torn African nation or did the seat cut off circulation long enough that his legs just fell off?

Old 05-17-2011, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Fedoraja1
Your son must be a double-amputee. I'm sorry to hear that

Now was he adopted from a war-torn African nation or did the seat cut off circulation long enough that his legs just fell off?
Actually, I took his legs off myself so that I could fit him in the car It was either that or the SUV. Sometimes choices must be made...

OK, back to reality, when my Wife is in the passenger seat she can pull it up just far enough to give a little legroom in the back, although it cramps her a bit and the seat doesn't go forward all the way like that since it gets stopped by the top of the windshield. Having said that, being that my son is 2, he's happy enough to sit crosslegged for short journeys.

It's just unpleasant enough for all the passengers that we probably won't use it for all of us very much.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:51 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The back seats do work in a pinch but in my experience only for one kid with his legs across the car. Not unlike my old Porsche 911.

I can't help but imagine how much cargo room would be back there if all that seat padding and such were removed...

Old 05-18-2011, 08:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2002XK8Orlando
First generation airbags and a passenger in the front seat that is too far forward in a crash isn't a good thing
In 2002 they starting using 2nd generation airbags with sensors for the location of the seat and passenger that have 2 stage deployment or it can disable the the airbag if the passenger is too close to it.
We use the rear seat with our 6 year old and the passenger seat pushed up enough to be tight, but not uncomfortable. He asks to ride in the convertible all the time, so it can't be too uncomfortable for him in the back. I would not try to put someone behind the driver seat.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought an XKR 5.0 recently and have been pleasantly surprised by how practical it is! I have 3 kids of 2yrs, 5yrs and 9yrs and they all fit with no problems. I'm 6'2 and my kids are similarly long. The 2 year old sits behind me in his car seat, I put the seat forward a little to give him a bit more space but it's not uncomfortable. The 5 and 9 year olds are interchangeable (whoever calls shotgun first!).

With some fiddling I've found a seat position which allows someone my height to sit in the front, while I sit in the back and put the seatbelt on. It's not comfortable but it is legal and can be done if necessary.

We also have a sensible Citroen family car, so on a long trip we use that. The rest of the time, we ROAR!

XKR 5.0 doing a family hatchback impression

Quick Reply: Rear Seat Space in XK8 and XKR