XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Rear Seat Space in XK8 and XKR

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2023, 01:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 503 Posts

I am not really sure how much you have gained. I checked in my car and the front of the drivers seat is in the same position front back as your new seat. I seem to have the same rear space as you.

Old 03-09-2023, 04:02 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Pistnbroke
I am not really sure how much you have gained. I checked in my car and the front of the drivers seat is in the same position front back as your new seat. I seem to have the same rear space as you.
Tomorrow I'll take pictures of the booster seat behind the still original OEM driver's seat and you'll see I've gained significant leg room behind the new racing seat.

Old 03-14-2023, 11:19 AM
Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm guessing there's also now a whole bunch of space UNDER the seat meaning if you can just get your shins in there, your feet go under the front seat. I find this is one of the most limiting factors of the stock seats, aside from the back being tiny. Interestingly, saw a review of a new lexus SC500 convertible recently, and it has pretty much the same space as an X100. It seems its pretty much impossible to make a convertible 2 door car with back seats look good AND have space in the back. You either end up looking really goofy like a BMW, or have no space. Can't have both.

I don't hate the look, if it was colour matched it might be ok. Can't say the covering on the back of the seats appeals much lol. These look a lot more supportive. I am assuming you went with the inexpensive PU to prove the concept more than anything else. Planning on re-covering them at some point/dying with jaguar colour? I dont know if PU can be dyed like leather can.

Old 03-14-2023, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Throwback
I'm guessing there's also now a whole bunch of space UNDER the seat meaning if you can just get your shins in there, your feet go under the front seat. I find this is one of the most limiting factors of the stock seats, aside from the back being tiny. Interestingly, saw a review of a new lexus SC500 convertible recently, and it has pretty much the same space as an X100. It seems its pretty much impossible to make a convertible 2 door car with back seats look good AND have space in the back. You either end up looking really goofy like a BMW, or have no space. Can't have both.

I don't hate the look, if it was colour matched it might be ok. Can't say the covering on the back of the seats appeals much lol. These look a lot more supportive. I am assuming you went with the inexpensive PU to prove the concept more than anything else. Planning on re-covering them at some point/dying with jaguar colour? I dont know if PU can be dyed like leather can.
Correct, this was used for proof of concept. This model seat linked below is a similar price with a much closer color match if you have a beige interior like mine:

Amazon Amazon

I guess color matching wasn't as important to me but others will feel differently.

Old 04-23-2023, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Throwback
I'm guessing there's also now a whole bunch of space UNDER the seat meaning if you can just get your shins in there, your feet go under the front seat.
No there's not space to fit your feet under these replacement seats because I installed 2 metal bars going perpendicular to the original Jaguar seat Rails for extra safety. The rear cross bar blocks your foot from going under.

While these seats are functional, they are almost too tall for my convertible roof and scrape the roof when I fold them forward.

I will continue my search for better replacement seats that are shorter like the original OEM Jaguar seats. This experiment was not 100% successful because of this but I did learn that we can give the back passenger a few more inches of leg room with alternate seats.

I was almost in a position that i had to try something because the electronic seat controls of my original OEM Jaguar Jaguar have ceased to function leaving my passenger seat unadjustable.

Last edited by ScoopXK8; 04-23-2023 at 08:50 AM.
Old 04-23-2023, 08:52 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ScoopXK8
While these seats are functional, they are almost too tall for my convertible roof and scrape the roof when I fold them forward.
FYI, '01+ seats will get stuck on ceiling/visors depending on seat settings for the coupe. So the seats you found might not be too far off the later OEM height.

The following users liked this post:
ScoopXK8 (04-23-2023)