XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Rear Speakers test? XK8 rag top

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2021, 10:57 AM
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by crbass
Attached is what it sounds like in my 2001 premium system. First centered, then faded all the way to the rear, then centered, then faded. The audio is not fully represented in the iphone fully to the rear (the mic appears to have quite a bit of rolloff down below ~50 Hz), but gives a good idea since that lower frequency content you cannot record on the iphone does not make the rear 'clearer', just ''muddier' and fuller'.

Bottom line, I don't think you should expect midrangeish output from the rear speakers as designed regardless of whether you can hear midrange if hooked to another input. As always, you can change this by changing the speakers (or the system) if that is better for y'all.
Let me ask, under the audio you sent. What is the purpose to even have those rear speakers fading to nothing? If they are not producing any sound, why not just disconnect?
mark

Old 09-09-2021, 11:00 AM
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Markmbaha1
Mine is 2001 ragtop. Interesting that the passenger rear speaker does have the tweeter connected it comes out with a tiny screen facing front. So 1 with and 1 without. Seems odd.
mark
Simple, someone replaced one of your subs with a coax.

Old 09-09-2021, 11:02 AM
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by flymyway
Simple, someone replaced one of your subs with a coax.
Never mind, I misread it.

Old 09-09-2021, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 925 Likes on 456 Posts

... As you fade your losing from the front, then nothing is coming out the back. Mine is similar but more muddy distorted sounding. Is yours a convertible? How do I tell if I have a premium? All I know is its 2001 Alpine, 2 rear non subwoofer speakers and no rear tweeters.
In home systems with a sub box, it does not fade to nothing as in these vehicles. Something just seems all wrong with this...
Not exactly, the volume on the video is affected by the iphone freq response. You can still hear it on the video, but it's louder and lower in real life, not nothing. It's just not mid/high range. The rear response is all low frequency (i.e. 'muddy' sound) by intent.

And yes, mine are all 'verts. Isn't that the only good kind (with due apologies my coupe bretheren/sisteren...)?

Old 09-09-2021, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member
Default Sounds of silence

Let me ask, under the audio you sent. What is the purpose to even have those rear speakers fading to nothing? If they are not producing any sound, why not just disconnect?
mark
Listen carefully during the full fades, it's not nothing, just low frequency. I have noted that there are limits to the iphone reproduction of this (around 50 Hz). In real life, it's louder and lower.

At my age, I cherish my 50 Hz sound since I no longer have anything above about ~14 kHz (though I can still torture my children and my students with loud 18 kHz sounds).

The following users liked this post:
michaelh (09-10-2021)
Old 09-09-2021, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,810 Likes on 1,115 Posts

FWIW my 1998 convertible pretty much produces full frequency sound from rear.

John

Old 09-09-2021, 12:29 PM

Not exactly, the volume on the video is affected by the iphone freq response. You can still hear it on the video, but it's louder and lower in real life, not nothing. It's just not mid/high range. The rear response is all low frequency (i.e. 'muddy' sound) by intent.

And yes, mine are all 'verts. Isn't that the only good kind (with due apologies my coupe bretheren/sisteren...)?
These are the two speakers removed from my convertible 2001 XK8. When in the vehicle and faded back to rear they go to no musical sounds only fuzzy muddy nothingness. Are these the same 2ohm speakers you have? I'll hook them back and try an audio like yours. I guess if under this system as stock the output goes to next to nothing at full rear only, it will fade to a lower level as you blend it back to equal front rear, why would that even be installed. It just makes no sense. I was ready to purchase a new amp but if it only clears my muddy mess up a bit to very low level sound, why bother. Check out my speakers. Thanks so much. I'm learning and trying to understand. Maybe my Andriod will produce more range and you can hear and comment.

Old 09-09-2021, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member
Default Power amp connector has 6 pins (see IC14-1 through 6)

Power amp connector: (what's needed for any car amp?)

1. Left signal
2. Right signal
3. Signal ground
4. Battery
5. Antenna (turns amp on when radio is on.
6. ???

Does not look like front rear signals are delivered to amp separately.
Problem is: if thats true, how does fader setting get communicated to amp?

I'm going to keep looking for IC 17 pin out diagram.

John

Attached Thumbnails Rear Speakers test? XK8 rag top-screenshot_20210909-132850_adobe-acrobat.jpg  

Last edited by Johnken; 09-09-2021 at 12:49 PM.
Markmbaha1 (09-09-2021)
Old 09-09-2021, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member

I have no pictures of mine, and going into the rear always leaves me repairing brittle plastic, so mine looks like below. Have no pics of reverse, and do not know if they are 2 ohm. Seemed to remember they are either 2 or 4.

Random picture snagged from the internet of LJD4150BA (other side is 4151).

Old 09-09-2021, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Johnken
FWIW my 1998 convertible pretty much produces full frequency sound from rear.

John
I believe they changed the systems in the 2000 MY.

Old 09-09-2021, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member

From what I've read there is an AI Net link between head unit and amp.

See this for an interesting pinout: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...=Amp+connector

I suggest you do an advanced search on "Amp connector" lots of good info!

John

Old 09-09-2021, 02:50 PM

I have no pictures of mine, and going into the rear always leaves me repairing brittle plastic, so mine looks like below. Have no pics of reverse, and do not know if they are 2 ohm. Seemed to remember they are either 2 or 4.

Random picture snagged from the internet of LJD4150BA (other side is 4151).
Same speakers I have just mine are out of the box.

Old 09-09-2021, 02:52 PM

Power amp connector: (what's needed for any car amp?)

1. Left signal
2. Right signal
3. Signal ground
4. Battery
5. Antenna (turns amp on when radio is on.
6. ???

Does not look like front rear signals are delivered to amp separately.
Problem is: if thats true, how does fader setting get communicated to amp?

I'm going to keep looking for IC 17 pin out diagram.

John
I took a audir video but the forum will not accept the mp3 format. When I turn full rear, all I hear is a fuzzy thumping distorted. Nothing musical at all.

Old 09-09-2021, 05:59 PM

I just found that the 2001 XK* has rear fade disabled. IVe attached the supplement to the hand book. Maybe this is why I am hjaving so much trouble with the rears, they are disabled. I'll try the fix later on after dinner.

Attached Files
File Type: docx
fade disable.docx (139.4 KB, 22 views)
Dr. D (09-09-2021)
Old 09-09-2021, 08:51 PM
Received 8,151 Likes on 4,917 Posts

Why are there TWO threads on the same subject?

crbass (09-09-2021)
Old 09-09-2021, 08:59 PM

Different people are looking at and responding to each. They started out being different but morphed. Still no definitive answer does the 2001 just sound like crap muddy mess in the rear or something wrong. I think I'll just bite the bullet and go pay to have it checked out at a shop.

Old 09-09-2021, 09:10 PM
Veteran Member
Default Three's a crowd

Originally Posted by motorcarman
Why are there TWO threads on the same subject?
Unsure of the answer, but I count three...

Old 09-10-2021, 07:46 AM

Unsure of the answer, but I count three...
LOL each post started off different, sometines people went way off topic, I think assumptions across model years were made which i found there are significant differences across 90s models and early 2000's models, and morphing happened. There are also some generic hints I cant tell knowing what I know now what they apply to, as specifics were not mentioned such as model year. I am only coming to some concrete facts finally after piecing together infirmation across the many comments from different people across all 3. I still dont have all the full final scoop, but have enough now to go pay someone to officially diagnose where my problem exist.

Old 09-10-2021, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member
Default Fader in Head Unit

Mark (and all),

Yesterday I spent a bunch of time trying to find a way to prove the trouble to the amp or head unit. I started down a path of: where is fader control circuitry located: head unit or amp? Thinking was that if it resides only in the amp, that would narrow it down to an amplifier issue.

Now, I hurt my knee - doctors must have given me good drugs ;-). I don't know why I didn't see the easy/ obvious. The same bloody head unit is used for premium and standard audio. No amp used with standard audio, but of course fader works with standard!

Please excuse any of my speculation that inoperative / distorted rear channel sound may by caused by amplifier issues. Fader is obviously controlled / operated by headunit. I don't know how I missed something so obvious.

Mark if you're still trying to shoot the problem, think about this:

Standard audio head unit plugs right into speaker leads to speakers. Remember it becomes premium by flipping a switch on back of head unit and pre-out audio signal is then sent to amp through the premium audio cable harness.

This begs the question: is the standard audio harness just sitting there unused? If so, why couldn't you disable the amp (pull fuse), flip the head unit switch to standard,, connect the rear speaker to standard rear audio speaker wire and give it a listen. Still distorted? . . . Yes = defective head unit.

John

Last edited by Johnken; 09-10-2021 at 09:09 PM.
Old 09-10-2021, 10:10 PM

Mark (and all),

Yesterday I spent a bunch of time trying to find a way to prove the trouble to the amp or head unit. I started down a path of: where is fader control circuitry located: head unit or amp? Thinking was that if it resides only in the amp, that would narrow it down to an amplifier issue.

Now, I hurt my knee - doctors must have given me good drugs ;-). I don't know why I didn't see the easy/ obvious. The same bloody head unit is used for premium and standard audio. No amp used with standard audio, but of course fader works with standard!

Please excuse any of my speculation that inoperative / distorted rear channel sound may by caused by amplifier issues. Fader is obviously controlled / operated by headunit. I don't know how I missed something so obvious.

Mark if you're still trying to shoot the problem, think about this:

Standard audio head unit plugs right into speaker leads to speakers. Remember it becomes premium by flipping a switch on back of head unit and pre-out audio signal is then sent to amp through the premium audio cable harness.

This begs the question: is the standard audio harness just sitting there unused? If so, why couldn't you disable the amp (pull fuse), flip the head unit switch to standard,, connect the rear speaker to standard rear audio speaker wire and give it a listen. Still distorted? . . . Yes = defective head unit.

John
Ok, on my way to bed I saw this. I've read it 3 times and I'm top tired I think to comprehend. I'm not sure what you're saying. I'm not even confident I have a premium system or not and I dont know anything about a switch on the back of the head unit. Lol. I'll re read tomorrow on a ckear mind, I hope. Thank you so much for all this thought.
Mark

Quick Reply: Rear Speakers test? XK8 rag top